Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
Thats hard to answer, how far do you go, you could include road improvements for instance but I don't see any difference between our roads and the rest of the UK, lifeguard facilities come from the public purse but ad campaigns etc run by local tourist boards are funded by paid memberships.
I think you are saying you don't get diddly squat. I guess you "pays your money and take your choice". Why not ask your local councilman. However if your annual revenue is 100k then it is probably not a big issue. By comparison: Florida recreational fishing is a multi Billion $ industry so the local government make their money from income tax, hotels, resturants etc. etc. and are happy to provide the facilities that keep that going. When the market is prepared to pay $500+ per day per person for a fishing charter, it makes sense.
Old 21 March 2008, 20:42   #22

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Add up all the business rates charged to tourist business's in Cornwall and you'd be amazed at the total, I pay over £1000.
I know business pay some high charges , but so do rest of us . Lifeguard's for one as you state . general living costs such as water rates council tax etc are all higher due to tourism . Couple that with the lower average earnings and seasonal earnings and it all adds up.

It seems Florida and other tourist areas are adressing this with taxes for tourists like you paid .

You considered the fishing tax part of your holiday expense and you were pleased with the facilities it gave you to use .

Simple taxes or charges just for tourists here would make the place a lot better , for all of us .
Old 21 March 2008, 20:48   #23

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
I know business pay some high charges , but so do rest of us . Lifeguard's for one as you state . general living costs such as water rates council tax etc are all higher due to tourism . Couple that with the lower average earnings and seasonal earnings and it all adds up.

It seems Florida and other tourist areas are adressing this with taxes for tourists like you paid .

You considered the fishing tax part of your holiday expense and you were pleased with the facilities it gave you to use .

Simple taxes or charges just for tourists here would make the place a lot better , for all of us .
Ian at last count (1998) tourism brought in £953 million to Cornwall, that £1k I pay isn't annually it's monthly.
Old 21 March 2008, 21:06   #24

Make: Waveline
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha 2.5
Quote:
I don't see any difference between our roads and the rest of the UK,
That Cypress Avenue in St Austell looks pretty good to me
Old 21 March 2008, 21:25   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski View Post
That Cypress Avenue in St Austell looks pretty good to me
Funny you should say that, have you been along it lately? as you come down have a look at the bollard below our entrance, its now at a 45 degree angle, a young girl coming down in the dark didn't see it (it's non reflective) had a car coming toward her with headlights on, went straight into it and was launched up and over landing upside down on the bonnet of the oncoming car!
First accident I remember on that road and within 12 months of it being replaced with modern traffic calming measures and roads signs what a cock up!
Old 21 March 2008, 21:32   #26

Quote:
Ian at last count (1998) tourism brought in £953 million to Cornwall, that £1k I pay isn't annually it's monthly.

thats my point mate , where does it all go ?,with a population of half a million and all that money coming in why are we subsidising the costs . Clearly very little of that money actually finds its way back .

as for roads where else in the country is there a 2 lane motorway serving such a small area and population .
Old 21 March 2008, 21:44   #27

Quote:
Funny you should say that, have you been along it lately? as you come down have a look at the bollard below our entrance, its now at a 45 degree angle, a young girl coming down in the dark didn't see it (it's non reflective) had a car coming toward her with headlights on, went straight into it and was launched up and over landing upside down on the bonnet of the oncoming car!
No not been along it lately, will have a look over the weekend
Old 21 March 2008, 21:47   #28

Quote:
First accident I remember on that road and within 12 months of it being replaced with modern traffic calming measures and roads signs what a cock up!
Money well spent (I think not )
Old 21 March 2008, 21:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by randski View Post
No not been along it lately, will have a look over the weekend
count the road signs too, people are now missing our entrance completely I can only assume its because they're concentrating on all those signs,makes me wonder if they'll see pedestrians and cyclists if they can now not see two 10' by 7' signboards!
I assume your on wifi in a harbour somewhere?
Old 21 March 2008, 21:52   #30

Quote:
Same in our village , traffic calming everywhere and eveyone swerving to avoid the bumps instead of looking where they are going . resulted in a car rolling over and jambing itself between the oncoming car parked cars blocked the village for half a day
Old 21 March 2008, 21:55   #31

Quote:
thats my point mate , where does it all go ?,with a population of half a million and all that money coming in why are we subsidising the costs . Clearly very little of that money actually finds its way back .

as for roads where else in the country is there a 2 lane motorway serving such a small area and population .

But if I look at my annual accounts a big chunk goes to local business's, suppliers, tradesmen etc. They all had new kitchens fitted last year!
Old 21 March 2008, 22:10   #32

Quote:
I assume your on wifi in a harbour somewhere?
Have you had a look outside tonight
Old 21 March 2008, 22:30   #33

Quote:
But if I look at my annual accounts a big chunk goes to local business's, suppliers, tradesmen etc. They all had new kitchens fitted last year!
they should have had one of mine , then they wouldn't keep needing new ones .

Hey iam not knocking you mate iam not saying you or other busineses should pay a tourist tax . many of the decent tourist busineses are struggling
Iam just questioning where is all that "prosperity they report from tourism going . there is little sign of it outside of the main holiday towns like Newquay.
Some small gestures for local people would be good , like free parking at the beach and charge the tourists a slightly higher fee . maybe a high rate for crossing the tamar bridge , with the proceeds taking the load of some local water rates etc .
Iam sure the Welsh and people in other areas with a large influx of tourists feel the same .
Old 22 March 2008, 00:59   #34

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Local 'tourism' seems to have attracted a much wealthier group of people in recent years. The days when people came down and stayed in £20 tents and ate beans on toast seem to have disappeared. Guest Houses, Self-catering cottages, restaurants, etc. in West Wales all seem to be doing a lot better out of tourism than they were say 5-10 years ago. Local businesses are clearly pleased to see tourists spending more cash, but the season is short and very dependent on the weather, which can have a huge impact on turnover for some.
I think tourists would in general be displeased with local concessions, as they're predominantly British people and would not want to be 'penalised' for taking a holiday in their own country. Enforcing such concessions can also be costly.
Maybe 10 years ago, when the industry generated less income, I'd have had a different view on it. It's recognised that tourism is on the increase in West Wales - perhaps in Cornwall, the industry has been more stable over a longer period of time?
Old 22 March 2008, 23:53   #35

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Local 'tourism' seems to have attracted a much wealthier group of people in recent years. The days when people came down and stayed in £20 tents and ate beans on toast seem to have disappeared.
So if tourists are wealthier in general they can afford to pay. The fact that they are wealthier makes it even more unfair for the relatively poor locals to be paying towards their holiday .

Quote:
Guest Houses, Self-catering cottages, restaurants, etc. in West Wales all seem to be doing a lot better out of tourism than they were say 5-10 years ago. Local businesses are clearly pleased to see tourists spending more cash,
And they also charge inflated prices while earnings for the rest of us are lower in comparison than the places the wealthy tourists come from. Locals also tend to suffer from the inflated tourist prices if they want to get out and enjoy the nice places .

Quote:
but the season is short and very dependent on the weather, which can have a huge impact on turnover for some

The season seems to get longer and starts earlier every year and faster roads have encouraged more weekend trippers. but yes poor weather can effect some businesses badly,but thats the chance you take when you start a business .

Quote:
I think tourists would in general be displeased with local concessions, as they're predominantly British people and would not want to be 'penalised' for taking a holiday in their own country.
Nobody wants to pay more than they have to but the locals paying higher living costs are also British . i certainly wouldn't object to paying £5 or £10 when I go to Wales Or Scotland etc on holiday. A small charge like that would take the load of the charges both the businesses and locals pay .

Quote:
Enforcing such concessions can also be costly.
no need to be , simply charge on the toll bridge in many places

[QUOTE]Maybe 10 years ago, when the industry generated less income, I'd have had a different view on it. It's recognised that tourism is on the increase in West Wales - perhaps in Cornwall, the industry has been more stable over a longer period of time? [/QUOTE

exactly its on the increase and costing more for local services and recources to support the increasing numbers.
Old 23 March 2008, 02:00   #36

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
So if tourists are wealthier in general they can afford to pay. The fact that they are wealthier makes it even more unfair for the relatively poor locals to be paying towards their holiday .
Yes, but affordability aside, tourists will weigh up the financial costs of holidaying, against the return they get on that investment. While local tourist taxes may be acceptable to some, the principle would certainly offend many others. There are very few taxes which gain unanimous support.
Quote:
And they also charge inflated prices while earnings for the rest of us are lower in comparison than the places the wealthy tourists come from. Locals also tend to suffer from the inflated tourist prices if they want to get out and enjoy the nice places .
'Inflated' perhaps, but the market determines what price is acceptable and both locals and tourists make up that marketplace. We see locals 'voting with their feet' in many tourist hotspots, which is unfortunate, but a real consequence of tourism, which frankly is unavoidable.
Quote:
The season seems to get longer and starts earlier every year and faster roads have encouraged more weekend trippers. but yes poor weather can effect some businesses badly,but thats the chance you take when you start a business.
It always tends to be Easter - August Bank holiday: 5 months from start to end, but aside from Bank holday weekends in Spring, the real business is only made in the 6 week school holiday period. I went to Saundersfoot last weekend and it was dead, today, it was crammed full. Luckily the weather was ok.
Quote:
Nobody wants to pay more than they have to but the locals paying higher living costs are also British . i certainly wouldn't object to paying £5 or £10 when I go to Wales Or Scotland etc on holiday. A small charge like that would take the load of the charges both the businesses and locals pay.
But if tourists were charged this £5-£10 fee, do you really think local charges would fall as a consequence?
Quote:
no need to be , simply charge on the toll bridge in many places
Tollbridge attendant: 'Are you local? You don't sound local - that will be £10.00 please'
......and our friends in the North would struggle 'cos there's no toll bridge.
Quote:
exactly its on the increase and costing more for local services and recources to support the increasing numbers.
More revenue/income for local economy too

We really must continue this debate down the pub Parkesy
Old 23 March 2008, 21:30   #37

We really must continue this debate down the pub Parkesy [/QUOTE]

That would be good .

Its a difficult subject that was debated on local radio a while back . No one could really work out why local income and poverty was so poor with reports of the massive income from tourism .