I bought a pair of cold cathode tubes on ebay the other day, with the intention of installing them in a white fireplace. They came this morning, so I set about installing them. The pack came with some wiring, and an inverter, which converts 12v to some ungodly high voltage. Anyway, wired them up, switched them on (powered by a 12v transformer I already had) but after a couple of minutes the inverter overheated and sizzled to an untimely end.
My question is this: could the tubes be run striagt off the mains. The specification says they will run on between 200 and 1000 volts. The only issue is that they only draw 5mA - is there is chance the mains could give them too much power and blow them up?