Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Claim on warranty...

Smokie (aka Ribnet member in the US) has given me the inspiration for this thread.

Have you claimed on warranty for something and what was the eventual outcome?

Hey we've all heard of lifetime warranties, but when a company stays true to their word and genuinely surprises you, you take a step back and hopefully support them. It's called loyalty, and I'd like to think it separates the wheat from the chaff so-to-speak in our consumer world where many companies fail to deliver short term, never mind 5-10 years down the line.

Here's my top three. Feel free to add your own.

Škoda
Bought my 2010 Fabia 1.6 diesel for my daily commute. This car does an average of 350+ miles a week like something from Paris Dakar during the average Scottish winter. Rust patches appeared on the tailgate, and although I service the car myself Škoda were true to their word and replaced and repainted the tailgate, no questions asked, just last week under their 10 year anti perforation warranty including a courtesy car for 2 weeks. They check the paint depth as a matter of course to check for previous damage repair.

Raleigh
As a kid growing up in the 70s, Raleigh dominated the bike scene, especially in lightweight racing bikes. I still have a 12-speed Raleigh Quadra with 531 Reynolds tubing from the late 80s with Shimano 501 derailleur in mint condition still in regular use. It came with a 25 year warranty on the frame from new. It had developed a hairline crack on one of the butted tube joints about 5 years into ownership and Raleigh true to their word replaced the frame completely.

Halfords
Halfords comes in for a lot of criticism these days. Yes they cater for the mass market, but some of their stuff is actually bloody good. Probably 15 years ago I was given a professional 80 piece stainless steel tool kit with a lifetime warranty complete with plastic carry-case. I've been servicing my own cars for more years than I can remember, and the tools need to be up to specification. It wouldn't be the first time I've shifted snow from the drive (because the boat is in the garage) to work on a car! The 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets started to slip and were no use to man nor beast. No receipt, Halfords replaced them, no questions just last year.
Old 06 July 2018, 22:21   #2

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 HPDI
Swarovski lifetime warranty is second to none. If you lose the strap for your binoculars you just phone them up & they pop one in the post. If your binos are looking a bit tired you send them back & they refurbish them, completely.
You never pay anything. It's staggeringly good service.

They have now had to reduce the warranty to 25 years for new stuff.
Old 06 July 2018, 23:26   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Well you learn something new every day.

I didn't even know Swarovski made binoculars. Obviously top-end, a bit like Carl Zeiss lenses or Contax cameras. Quality kit.
Old 07 July 2018, 05:52   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Had a couple of minor fixes on a hyundai, each time I've just phoned a dealership ( I bough the car secondhand privately) and they just say drop it in, couldn't be easier. Toyota were also good on my land cruiser. Ford are terrible, several large civil laws suits currently against them over 70000 dodgy gearbox issues over here and the fact that some models have a problem with catching fire.
Old 07 July 2018, 07:37   #5

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Guy I know through work's Audi Q5 went up in flames.(Less than a year old)

After a quick google search it was obvious this is pretty much "normal" for them. They outshine Vauxhall Zafiras when it comes to this party trick.
Warranty...Audi weren't interested, didn't want to know, told him to deal with it through his insurance. The insurance offered to replace the car "like for like" but would not give him the cash value for the car. This he wasn't for to accepting as, had his family been in the car at the time, he wouldn't have had time to get the kids out of their child seats as the car interior literally "erupted in flames" as he stepped out.
The long and short of it, he had to accept the replacement car and re-sell it immediately he got it.

Poor show Audi.
Old 07 July 2018, 07:50   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I didn't even know Swarovski made binoculars. Obviously top-end, a bit like Carl Zeiss lenses or Contax cameras. Quality kit.
Top kit, £2000-4000 a unit. Some of my clients use them, the optics are stunning. They are the goto manufacturer for wildlife observers. One of the guys was saying recently that he returned his pair for some minor adjustment and they came back like new, replaced the eyecups etc.

Not sure I'd feel comfortable with a pair of binos that cost £3k
Old 07 July 2018, 15:33   #7

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Valiant rib baffle

I discovered s leak in the baffle about four years after purchase. Fixed at ronsn keys of Sligo. Very good work. I never heard of a bill. Valiant covered the repair no problems.

Tsm
Old 07 July 2018, 16:03   #8

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
One of the tools of my Leatherman broke .
Could not remember when I bought it nor I still had any invoice .
Send it to them and got a brand new tool back !
Old 08 July 2018, 07:00   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
+1 on Leatherman. I broke the handle off my scissors and returned it to them for repair. The only question they asked was whether the tool had any sentimental value as if so they would simply replace the scissors otherwise they'd send me a complete replacement tool.
Old 08 July 2018, 09:09   #10

These days with consumers rights as they are manufactures need to be very careful with warranty issues, social media has helped the consumers no end with getting things sorted quickly.
Old 08 July 2018, 09:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Top kit, £2000-4000 a unit. Some of my clients use them, the optics are stunning. They are the goto manufacturer for wildlife observers. One of the guys was saying recently that he returned his pair for some minor adjustment and they came back like new, replaced the eyecups etc.

Not sure I'd feel comfortable with a pair of binos that cost £3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post
Swarovski lifetime warranty is second to none. If you lose the strap for your binoculars you just phone them up & they pop one in the post. If your binos are looking a bit tired you send them back & they refurbish them, completely.
You never pay anything. It's staggeringly good service.

They have now had to reduce the warranty to 25 years for new stuff.

You don't have to go to that price tag just for a lifetime warranty and quality. I know many wealthy birders who have dropped down from thousands of dollars binoculars to much cheaper glass which they are more than happy with. I use the vortex from this review and can't fault them, I don't worry about carrying on the boat as the cost isn't anywhere near some brands but the quality is very good.https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...-viper-hd-8x42
Old 12 July 2018, 16:15   #12

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Apple: bought a Macbook air direct from Apple about four years ago. Has accompanied me around the world on yachts for the duration of that time so gets a little bashed around. Last year it wouldn't start. Popped it into an Apple store, they kept it for a few days and eventually gave me a call to say the main board needed replacement at around £800. However they could see I was a good customer (guess they have a look at your account and see what devices etc you use) and did it for free. Again no receipt etc required. Very good service - they missed out on a sale of a new laptop repairing the old one.
Old 12 July 2018, 20:55   #13

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Some years ago i was thinking about an entry into digital cameras ,when i was sent a Costco monthly offer sheet only to see a Minolta Dimage camera with a large chunk off for november offer ,so i decided at about £120 i would buy and did , Imagine my surprise when in February the following year costco wrote to me to advise that due to incredible demand they had been able to negotiate a lower price from the supplier and enclosed a cheque for £20 refund for me (wasnt even a voucher ,actually £20 cheque )
a couple of years later my daughter had a nikon digital camera which she broke the screen on ,she tried to convince me she had not abused but i was a little sceptical ,so i sent back to nikon uk ,they advised the damage was not in line with normal use and there would be a charge over a hundred pounds ,so i asked for retun without mending ,a week later i took it into costco and explained i needed to buy fresh as nikon had turned me down for repair ,the costco guy said nikon were not complying with the costco policy and gave a full refund for the camera on the spot (in the £200 region )