Old 28 August 2009, 10:35   #61

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Precisely! In anything other than a new Land Rover the chassis will thin!!!

Codders will be along soon to refute all negative Land Rover alegations.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2009, 11:24   #62

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Also its a hell of a lot quicker with a mig, landrover chassis are thin,rusted a bit!
Now, trying to MIG weld rusty metal is a whole new skill.

If you buy a cheap MIG it needs one essential for non frustrating use - a good steady wire feed mechanism which doesn't slow when you bend the cable/feed. If you're welding in the limited space under a car, you will end up with the gun at awkward angles which will strain the wire feed. Since one of the welder controls is the wire feed speed, if it varies while you're welding it's a pig.

If it's windy the gas WILL blow away but you can use gasless wire in your MIG welder along with the gas so windy conditions can be coped with.

I agree with Doggypaddle that MIG is easier than stick on thin sheet metal especially if welding an edge to a flat surface.
Old 28 August 2009, 12:00   #63

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Any links to the "right" welder?
Old 28 August 2009, 12:10   #64

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
everything jwalker says its right, not entirely sure about the gasless wire though, i seem to recall you had to use reverse polarity for some wire, meaning if the mig doesnt have that facility you cant really use that wire.
I have a sealey welder, its 160amp and OK for most stuff. The wire feed is a bit flimsy but suprisingly its lasted me 5 years of use.
Its a bugger in the wind like all gas migs and if welding in awkward places you do need to try and keep the cable straightish to avoid wire tangles.

i think the clarke proffesional range are ok as are Cebora, Migatronic are very good but probably expensive.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for. a cheap clarke wont have smoothing chokes or as big capacitors in the power supply and will give a rougher weld than a more expensive model with smooth dc output.

This clarke is quite a nice one to use(friend has one)
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...al-mig-welders

And i have the earlier model of this one.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...iy-mig-welders

Mine was £150 "round the back" as codders says
Old 28 August 2009, 13:27   #65

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
My Clarke is very smooth in use - I have used a Butters and a few high end industrial jobs.

With the right gas and by changing the cheap and nasty torch to a good quality one it makes a hell of a difference - feels like a much more expensive set up in use.
Old 28 August 2009, 13:29   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Precisely! In anything other than a new Land Rover the chassis will thin!!!

Codders will be along soon to refute all negative Land Rover alegations.
They may be thin but still a lot better than most of the others. My 1986 ex Police 110 chassis is still fine. It's the outriggers that go - mud sits on top of them. It takes a very long time though and a bit of proper cleaning works wonders!!!
Old 28 August 2009, 13:51   #67

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggypaddle View Post
...not entirely sure about the gasless wire though, ..
it works well, promise...

My first machine was a SIP, fairly high end but the wire feed was shit and there was a tendency for the wire to tack close to the nozzle so the feed rollers bunched it up trying to feed it. Used it for lotsa stuff but eventually became frustrated with its limitations and lashed out on a big unit. Night and day but this one will burn skin in a couple of minutes if you're not covered up so even if it's roasting and the sun is shining you gotta be togged up.
Old 28 August 2009, 14:55   #68

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Yeah..don't listen to me...what would I know about welding anyway? Last welding sets I bought were the thick end of £5K each... what would I know about welding......

Learn to weld...or learn to be a torch holder...your choice....but the amount of people who use a cheap MIG set to work on structural parts of vehicles...eg. the chassis..and just because the weld looks pretty..they think it's good.....but hey, what would I know...you listen to all the amateurs out there.
...There, that should keep the debate going whilst I piss off to the Beer festival....Have a good weekend folks...
Old 28 August 2009, 15:24   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Yeah..don't listen to me...what would I know about welding anyway? Last welding sets I bought were the thick end of £5K each... what would I know about welding......

Learn to weld...or learn to be a torch holder...your choice....but the amount of people who use a cheap MIG set to work on structural parts of vehicles...eg. the chassis..and just because the weld looks pretty..they think it's good.....but hey, what would I know...you listen to all the amateurs out there.
...There, that should keep the debate going whilst I piss off to the Beer festival....Have a good weekend folks...

Wind up merchant
I still say car bodywork including landrover chassis is too thin for all but the best welders to weld with a stick and an AC welder.
An inverter welder is a different story, i find my inverter walder nearly as good as a mig for thin stuff.
its true what you say about welding to "MOT standard"A tube of sikaflex will do that
Old 28 August 2009, 15:31   #70

Quote:
Wind up merchant
I still say car bodywork including landrover chassis is too thin for all but the best welders to weld with a stick and an AC welder.
An inverter welder is a different story, i find my inverter walder nearly as good as a mig for thin stuff.
its true what you say about welding to "MOT standard"A tube of sikaflex will do that
So who's up for some oxy-acetylene chassis welding, I thought that this was the only way to weld - in the same vein as only amatuers need arc switching face shields!!! Still heard all those arguments years ago by avid or was it rabid rebate plane users when routers strted to become cheaper...it endless

By the wat doggy paddle my exhaust manifold is minus all the junk and a nice plug was machined up for me to fill the hole, thanks for the tip. Am extending the wires on the loom now. Looking for a local exhaust fabricator now.
Old 28 August 2009, 20:51   #71

There is a brillaint welder near me - all he uses is oxy - it's a joy to watch him work - the way he bends and shapes the steel as he works using the heat of the torch. He can weld rust to rust almost - try that with any electric process!!!
Old 28 August 2009, 21:01   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
There is a brillaint welder near me - all he uses is oxy - it's a joy to watch him work - the way he bends and shapes the steel as he works using the heat of the torch. He can weld rust to rust almost - try that with any electric process!!!
Had some Black Smiths on the Steel Works I used to be on, was a joy to watch them work. Some of the heavy plant in there scared the sh!t out of me though!
Old 29 August 2009, 14:00   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Oxy Acteylene used to/still is used to straighten some pretty thick section stuff with heat only.

Thinnest stuff I worked on was 1.0mm mild steel, most theraputic.
Old 01 September 2009, 09:20   #74

Gratuitous shots of Landrover chassis, repaired and stretched…just to persuade you that I do know what I am talking about from experience…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis stretch on jig (Small).jpg
Views:	483
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	45377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis stretch.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	45378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0131.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	45379   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0132.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	45380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted chassis (Small).jpg
Views:	181
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	45381  

Old 01 September 2009, 11:41   #75

so did you stick weld that or mig it? I must admit i did all the welding on my series one with a stick, it turned out really neat, The MOT man said it was neat welding, when i said i did it with a 2.5 mm rod he said F*** off that migged
I wouldnt use a stick again though, its neat enough but takes soooooo long. I dread to think how long it would have taken to do the 90ft barge with a stick, took long enough with the 500A mig and 1.2mm wire I think it sent my mate Geraint a bit mental
Old 01 September 2009, 12:19   #76

Quote:
so did you stick weld that or mig it? I must admit i did all the welding on my series one with a stick, it turned out really neat, The MOT man said it was neat welding, when i said i did it with a 2.5 mm rod he said F*** off that migged
I wouldnt use a stick again though, its neat enough but takes soooooo long. I dread to think how long it would have taken to do the 90ft barge with a stick, took long enough with the 500A mig and 1.2mm wire I think it sent my mate Geraint a bit mental

MIG...of course...but then we use very sophisticated ..well, as sophisticated as welding gets...sets..and I know the difference between "good looking" welds and "good" welds....
What on earth does he need a 500 AMP set with 1.2 (Solid?) wire for...when you're piddling about with the tin-plate they make barges from... I'm just going to imagine the porosity...why not FCAW them...?
Old 01 September 2009, 14:20   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
MIG...of course...but then we use very sophisticated ..well, as sophisticated as welding gets...sets..and I know the difference between "good looking" welds and "good" welds....
What on earth does he need a 500 AMP set with 1.2 (Solid?) wire for...when you're piddling about with the tin-plate they make barges from... I'm just going to imagine the porosity...why not FCAW them...?
The big welder was used for other stuff too, excavator buckets, tractor loader frames etc. worked out pretty good for the barge, some of the plate was fairly thick especially around the keel which was 1.5" thick and the bottom was 13mm thick.
also he already had the mig, and the fumes aren't as orrible as FCAW.
The surveyor said it was the best put together dutch barge he had seen, but then again thats not much of a compliment bearing in mind most of the welding I have seen on them seens to be cosmetically finished with a smear of filler or sikaflex
Old 01 September 2009, 14:28   #78

Quote:
The surveyor said it was the best put together dutch barge he had seen, but then again thats not much of a compliment bearing in mind most of the welding I have seen on them seens to be cosmetically finished with a smear of filler or sikaflex
A lad on Corus used to do lovely welds with putty and a lollipop stick!
Old 01 September 2009, 16:25   #79

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
I used a stick for years and when i finally bought a MIG i was kicking myself for not buying one 10 years earlier
Well I'm a died in the wool stick man .. and theres not much I can't do with it except thinner stuff which is where the MIG scores, as everyone that comes into my shop keeps telling me .. So Ive been interested to read this thread .. I can only get single phase, and the lights in the offices start flickering when I go over 3 mil .. I believe the MIG doesnt draw as much power ? cos sometimes I have to weld 10mm stuff to buckets etc, what size MIG would handle that ? and can you use the same size wire for all apps, or do you have to change it a lot ? Its adding another dang cylinder to my BOC account that keeps putting me off ...
Old 01 September 2009, 16:36   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Well I'm a died in the wool stick man .. and theres not much I can't do with it except thinner stuff which is where the MIG scores, as everyone that comes into my shop keeps telling me .. So Ive been interested to read this thread .. I can only get single phase, and the lights in the offices start flickering when I go over 3 mil .. I believe the MIG doesnt draw as much power ? cos sometimes I have to weld 10mm stuff to buckets etc, what size MIG would handle that ? and can you use the same size wire for all apps, or do you have to change it a lot ? Its adding another dang cylinder to my BOC account that keeps putting me off ...

"stick" with it.......