Old 27 February 2013, 19:36   #1

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Changing Career?

Have you ever got up one morning and said enough is enough and it's time for a change?

Have you ever turned your life upside down for a dream? Or do you wish you had?

Are you regretting something you have or haven't done?

Is this recession really all that bad?

Do you have a story to tell good or bad........ If so I really would love to hear it
Old 27 February 2013, 19:43   #2

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Yes to all of the above.

But my regret was following the dream and not predicting the recession, low interest rates and how difficult it is to get back into gainful employment once you leave it for too long.
Old 27 February 2013, 19:46   #3

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Had many regrets and challenges, fortunately not career based
Old 27 February 2013, 19:47   #4

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Have you ever got up one morning and said enough is enough and it's time for a change?

Have you ever turned your life upside down for a dream? Or do you wish you had?

Are you regretting something you have or haven't done?

Is this recession really all that bad?

Do you have a story to tell good or bad........ If so I really would love to hear it
Hi Alex I can answer your first option. Some four years ago after many happy years in public service I had been getting right shafted be a new boss man !!
I awoke as they say one morning and said need to do something as my health was not good. Did some maths talked to my good lady and decided there and then to literally put the 'two' fingers up and tendered my resignation. best thing I ever did do some great things now on my terms and have all the time to spend with the people that matter and had been neglected over the years. Even have all summer to rib, GREAT recommend it to everyone its just amazing what you can do, just make sure you do the sums.
One of my better decisions
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 19:48   #5

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
First the AA

Now Marjorie Proops

What next - Jeremy Kyle
Old 27 February 2013, 19:56   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
What next - Jeremy Kyle
Next? The bouncers are on the stage over on the Cornwall thread...
Old 27 February 2013, 19:59   #7

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
:
Yea I ripped my Wolves season ticket up and brought a Rib .... In stead of spending my Saturday afternoons In places like Stockport, Oldham and other dumps I now spend them in places like Aberdovey and Caernarfon
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 20:03   #8

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Next? The bouncers are on the stage over on the Cornwall thread...
good as ever
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 20:14   #9

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
A very very interesting one.....and one I think about most days!

I have several times quit my job with nothing to do, had several months off (for various reasons) then found my back to mostly what always have done.

The best of these moments was when I ended up working for Steve ( if only we had all round summer I'm sure we would all be doing it !)

Anyhow....my friend Simon ( usual crew on Streaker - who you have met) did take a jump, After doing the whole London thing working in marketing he ended up working eberspacher (?) - the ones who claim to use 60% of you diesel to heat you boat , but even then didnt really like it ...so worked himself nearly to death and started painting and decorating - now a general builder / project manager type job self employed etc . He is good at it as he is reliable, honest , trust worthy and can hold a decent conversation- his words 'things he finds a lot of the 'trades' fail in' .

I'd love to follow him and when I see the follow your dreams type quotes would love to be able to do - but life, kids, bills and risks mean I just dont think I'll ever be able to. However ......its not so bad ....I have a nice little RIB and SIB, have met the nicest people as a result, made some great mates that dont care how big my engine is anymore and had wonderful times on the water that are actually priceless. I can't do it every day, but when I pull out of the motorway services on Tuesday morning and see a certain 'C2' van (Ian also getting a coffee) - we are both in the same place at the same time-both working hard doing differant things.

I know there are days full time skippers wish they were warm inside and days I sit in in office or car or train wishing I wasn't

I think much much harder to change now than even 10-15 years ago due to pressure on wages/ income/pensions and property prices etc
Old 27 February 2013, 20:20   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I can't do it every day, but when I pull out of the motorway services on Tuesday morning and see a certain 'C2' van (Ian also getting a coffee) - we are both in the same place at the same time-both working hard doing different things.

I know there are days full time skippers wish they were warm inside and days I sit in in office or car or train wishing I wasn't

I think much much harder to change now than even 10-15 years ago due to pressure on wages/ income/pensions and property prices etc
Sorry i missed you Peter, must have been in my own likkle world trundling down to the boats. Tues was Portsmouth then Hamble- yes can be excellent but like all things you have to work at it to make it pay the way
Old 27 February 2013, 20:22   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Every day!

I should have been a mechanic, a carpenter or a tree surgeon! Having said that... there's always those that are less fortunate, so take stock and look around you.

In my book - having kids keeps you on the straight and narrow - as they don't have time for your midlife crisis, they just want to be loved, have stability, and I dare say a decent holiday every year.
Old 27 February 2013, 20:27   #12

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Didnt have a career change but worked for Barrus for 15 years and was always dreaming about setting up on my own. One day it kind of just all happened!. Moved my wife, and two boys to Cornwall 3 years later where still here!!. Its pretty hard sometimes but so far so good!!! When its all doing my head in quick lunch time walk on the beach and its game on!!!
Old 27 February 2013, 20:28   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Sorry i missed you Peter, must have been in my own likkle world trundling down to the boats. Tues was Portsmouth then Hamble- yes can be excellent but like all things you have to work at it to make it pay the way
I only spotted you as I was being driven away .....a nice change for me not to be driving...I tried to post the pic to you FB page but it failed

So to be specific for Whisper;

Have you ever turned your life upside down for a dream? Or do you wish you had? I have, I still wish I had tried harder ....
Are you regretting something you have or haven't done? Yep - daily !!! Both !

Is this recession really all that bad? Yes - I deal mainly with SME business nowadays (small medium from 5 to maybe a few hundred employees) - all are really looking at the bottom line....I feel its a needed adjustment that rather than be allowed to all go BANG overnight has actually been managed into a longer gradual process that has allowed a lot of poeple to stay in business and manage the adjustment - but thats a whole new serious thread and who know life is serious enough !
Old 27 February 2013, 20:28   #14

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
Changed career at 30 to be a Quantity Surveyor, going back to uni part time on day release at the same time as holding down a job was difficult but don't regret it for a moment, despite the pressure.

Agree with PeterM that the pressure and responsibilities would mean that with some assurance it is very risky.
Old 27 February 2013, 20:53   #15

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
ok here goes......
12 years ago whe my children were 18months and 3yrs my then wife informed me she had met someone else ,

its fair to say what followed was a period of reflection, which included my 15 years carear in salesmanagement which i discovered i hated with a passion.

my next mistake was to look for a change in carear by focusing on earnings ...........6 years later i walked out of being financial advisor in a bank. during this time i spoke to an increasing number of clients who wished to change their lives............reduce the stress, earn less, do a rewarding job and spend less.

i for the last 6 years have been working with kids with behaviour issues, love it, 13 weeks holiday, time with my kids (and 2nd wife)
the school have now paid for my training to take the kids mountain biking, which i am currently expanding.

very lucky

« Moray Firth | Top | vat »