Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 May 2006, 14:40   #41
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Fair point, but where you the worlds best driver when you were under 20, and did you drive like a priest?
Some of you make these comments but when you were of this age speed cameras were not in existence, and the current stance of this governement on attacking the motorist had yet to come into play.
I think that is probably a little niave.

Probably most people here couldn't afford a car before they were 20 so were extra careful if driving as it was their parents car! Those that did have cars were probably lucky if it could reach the speed limit. Cars have changed, the roads have got busier and so the rules have evolved to cope with this.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 15:03   #42
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
I think that is probably a little niave.

Probably most people here couldn't afford a car before they were 20 so were extra careful if driving as it was their parents car!
Maybe in some cases but by no means all, I drive my dads Audi A6 a fair bit doesn't mean I don't speed every now and again or take risks, im a young driver and so where you once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Those that did have cars were probably lucky if it could reach the speed limit.
How old are you! Even 20yrs ago most cars could break a 30mph speed, so your naive as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Cars have changed, the roads have got busier and so the rules have evolved to cope with this
Agree with you on the last point, but driving for younger motorists is harder and more expensive now than it was 20 years ago. New drivers only begin with 6 points on their driving license to begin with for the first two years. Go through a 30mph speed trap at 33mph a couple of times and its game over, my mate got 3 points because someone had nicked the L plate off his 50cc scooter and he was riding it home! Get 6 points and you have to retake your theory test and your practical test, and don't start me on rip off car insurance!
__________________

__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 15:19   #43
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Fair point, but where you the worlds best driver when you were under 20, and did you drive like a priest?
No, I drove and rode like a complete f*cking idiot and still have the scars to show for it-and learned a bit quick!

It's not like I expect anyone to take any notice of a grumpy old git like me... but if one person does then maybe it's one less road death.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 15:31   #44
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
No, I drove and rode like a complete f*cking idiot and still have the scars to show for it-and learned a bit quick!
That's it really isn't it - things like this you do generally learn from. Until it happens, you are reluctant to take the "advice" from those that have already experienced accidents/speeding.

I got caught speeding, and I've had a relatively serious accident. It has definitely changed my driving style.
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 15:35   #45
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
No, I drove and rode like a complete f*cking idiot and still have the scars to show for it-and learned a bit quick!

It's not like I expect anyone to take any notice of a grumpy old git like me... but if one person does then maybe it's one less road death.
I fully agree with you Nos but the majority of young male drivers drive like nutters, always have done and always will. As you say one less road death is a good thing and thats what all this legislation and extra training is in place for. Had my first bump, wet roundabout, no other vehicle involved and the middle of the night, not very serious but has made me a safer driver
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 16:03   #46
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Agree with you on the last point, but driving for younger motorists is harder and more expensive now than it was 20 years ago. New drivers only begin with 6 points on their driving license to begin with for the first two years. Go through a 30mph speed trap at 33mph a couple of times and its game over, my mate got 3 points because someone had nicked the L plate off his 50cc scooter and he was riding it home! Get 6 points and you have to retake your theory test and your practical test, and don't start me on rip off car insurance!
Alex - shall we agree to disagree?

Your original post wound me up as it seemed to be justifying speeding/careless driving because we are only young once.

I think the 6 points and you retake your test is a good thing. I also think the R-plates scheme in Northern Ireland is a good system. It might seem a bit arrogant from me but the solution to not getting those points is don't speed, or break the law! I know quite a few people who have racked up 9 points and now manage to drive more sensibly to make sure they don't get 12. If that same attitude gets to new drivers then it works.

I am not sure I agree that the cost of driving is more expensive now for young people (in real terms as a % of income) than it was 20 years ago.

I have managed over 10 years without getting any points or being in any accidents - I accept that part of that is luck.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 16:15   #47
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Alex - shall we agree to disagree?

Your original post wound me up as it seemed to be justifying speeding/careless driving because we are only young once.
Sorry if it came accross that way Neil, what I was trying to get at that was the fact that people get at Tim M in this case for driving to close to the car in front and or speeding. Yet forget that 20yrs or so ago when they a young male driver they were doing a similar thing. Nos acknowledges this and the fact of the matter is young male drivers drive like this and always have done.
I agree with you in that the schemes in place are probably sucessful, however they just come accross as irritating and a form of bullying towards younger drivers, although ulitmately they are for our own good.
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 16:21   #48
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
however they just come accross as irritating and a form of bullying towards younger drivers,

Only towards young drivers who think they know it all....!
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 16:28   #49
ADS
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Only towards young drivers who think they know it all....!

My license is clean, and my one mishap was no big deal! Although your probably right.
__________________
ADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2006, 16:54   #50
Now back to being Mollers!
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Arundel
Boat name: Mike Bravo 1
Make: Scorp
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 300
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 652
When I get my moped out on the road I'm gonna ride, ride .............
__________________

__________________
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.