Old 11 February 2009, 20:15   #1

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Buying land

Evening all,

I'm looking for some land to place a double garage/shed on as a workshop for my boat and car.

Question is finding houses for sale is easy but where do I find land for sale? All the sites I've been on are more like esatates and have nothing for sale "up North".

I'm in Staithes, North Yorkshire if that helps?

Thanks
Old 11 February 2009, 22:45   #2
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Your local auction house will be your best bet mate
Old 12 February 2009, 09:48   #3

How/where would I find that? Is it a specific auction house or just any?
Old 12 February 2009, 18:03   #4

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Start with a rightmove search for land. There are specific websites for land, plotfinders one, plotsearch......... just google it.

I have found the best way is to actively advertise for it though, either through a local paper, shop windows or letters pushed through doors (google maps to find the plot)
Old 12 February 2009, 18:43   #5

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I would suggest you actually speak to your local estate agents. There's every chance they will have land for sale or contacts that'll be of use. It's often the case that they don't bother advertising land or garages as there is so little comission involved, but they may have knowlegde of bits for sale.
Old 12 February 2009, 18:50   #6
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I'm looking for some land to place a double garage/shed on as a workshop for my boat and car.
Don't forget that it's not as simple as just buying some land and sticking a shed on it. You're likely to need planning permission which may or may not be easy to get.

I don't know where you're thinking of, but an easier approach might be to talk to local farmers and try to find an existing building to rent.
Old 12 February 2009, 19:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Don't forget that it's not as simple as just buying some land and sticking a shed on it. You're likely to need planning permission which may or may not be easy to get.

I don't know where you're thinking of, but an easier approach might be to talk to local farmers and try to find an existing building to rent.
I like the idea of renting a building but would prefer to buy a plot of land and stick some form of building on it.
I live in a National Park so planning is strict but as strict as I thought it would be.

I'll have a look on the sites suggested and see what comes up.
Old 12 February 2009, 21:14   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I live in a National Park
In which case I'd hazard a guess that you have somewhere between no chance and no chance at all of being able to do what you want!
Old 12 February 2009, 22:02   #9
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Not 100% on this but I think as long as the construction isn't permanent like a large shed or the very large plastic garages you can get, then you don't need planning. Something like these LINK
Old 13 February 2009, 13:22   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Dutch barns and other argricultural buildings often don't need permission.
Old 13 February 2009, 14:06   #11
Administrator

But since this only applies for agricultural use and requires 5+ hectares of land it's likely to be yet another red herring. Renting an existing farm building to use as a workshop would technically require planning consent for change of use, but it's much less likely to attract attention than building something new.

JSP's large shed would require planning permission too if it's on its own piece of land (as opposed to an outbuilding to an existing house which you might be able to build under "permitted development" rights, but possibly not in a National Park). You might get away with a polytunnel, but I wouldn't even bet on that in a National Park.
Old 13 February 2009, 14:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
In which case I'd hazard a guess that you have somewhere between no chance and no chance at all of being able to do what you want!
As long as its in keeping with whats already around you have no problem. If your silly about what you ask for then like you say you have no chance. Asking for a farm building on farm land no problem.
I've already spoke to them regarding a wooden garage on the green near where I live and again no problem from the National Parks just the council want to turn it into a car park now.
Old 20 October 2009, 22:17   #13

Where to buy land?

I want to buy a field (acre or so) to put a small lean to/shed on.
I've looked on the net but can't seem to find anywhere doing what I need?
How do I go about searching and buying some?

I'm in Staithes, North Yorkshire so anything around that area.
Old 20 October 2009, 22:33   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/

Do a search 10 mile radius of you - sort by lowest first.

Lovely plot of land with a run down shed for £20.000 - it's about 3 acres.

Can't copy and paste the link - it's miles long!!!
Old 20 October 2009, 22:47   #15

Is there a site like rightmove but just for land? Is it worth asking a local farmer if he'd sell some. Is the process the same as buying a house?
Old 20 October 2009, 22:49   #16

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
You might find more luck with agricultural or commercial agents rather than high street ones. Probably need to make yourself known to them as a potential buyer. Depending on what use, you might find a farmer willing to sell a corner.
Old 21 October 2009, 05:58   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
chewy, you'll also want to talk to the planners before parting with any cash...
Old 21 October 2009, 06:46   #18

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Small parcels of purely agricultural land can make as much as £15k an acre in these parts these days.
Old 21 October 2009, 07:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Small parcels of purely agricultural land can make as much as £15k an acre in these parts these days.
Was £3000 a few years ago!
If the land already has a use then do you need permission to erect a builiding. I know some land I rent needed planning permission as the land currently had no "use".
Old 21 October 2009, 08:56   #20

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Chewy.

We've just sold a few acres with small barn in the next village after 15yrs ownership as we no longer need it... also still own a little over an acre with buildings elsewhere... so have a bit of experience.

We sold ours through a local commercial/land type agent but other pieces near us over the years have sold through the auctions and normal local estate agents... plus of course word of mouth sales that never came on the open market. You just have to keep looking at all the avenues. When we bought ours 15yrs ago we spent 6mths looking everywhere every week almost giving up but in the end we responded to a local paper small ad placed by a farmer giving up and selling in small parcels.

The process is much like a house purchase but without all the complication of surveys. However the solicitors still seemed to find loads to query and delay on like rights of way, boundaries etc.

From our experience the things that I'd be very careful over are... Boundaries - are they clearly marked (ie with white posts) to indicate the sale area and does it match the drawings the legal stuff is based on. Who owns/maintains the hedges/ditches/fences? Rights - does anyone else (public, single person, elec board for poles etc) have rights to go over the land to access another field, are there rights of drainage from other fields across yours. Planning - probably the most important. What is the current status? If agricultural and a field with no existing buildings then anything... even a garden shed... may need planning. Even storing something there like a boat, caravan may be regarded as a change of use. Beware verbal promises any use/building permissions are in place... they need to be documented for the solicitor to examine. Security - If you will be leaving stuff down there is it an easy target for the idiots to vandalise or steal stuff. We were lucky over our 15yrs just having a weak trailer floor jumped through... but others lost tractors, quad bikes, horse tack, tools etc. Flooding - try and view any land when it is very wet. The most attractive grass field can become a bog from Nov-March if not well drained and prone to waterlogging.

Will you need water or power? If so make sure they are in the adj road or the costs are huge unless you just manage. We used to carry water (80l/day) in the 4x4 to our bit near home and we have a bore hole on the other field to save the £2k for a water supply. For elec we used a combination of battery lighting and a genny for mains power when doing jobs.

Finally I'd say make sure your intended use fits in with what folks do around you. If they are all mini private peaceful nature reserves and you want to wear a groove with a quad bike every weekend... or vice versa... consider the possible aggro.

Hope that helps,

David