Old 19 March 2006, 16:53   #21

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
? only needs to lift 30 stone. thanks
A number of the big Offshore 125 diving charter boats operating out of Weymouth and Protector now have vertical lifts for divers laden down with 4 cylinders etc. that must be close to 30 stone. Ofcourse if they hadn't eaten so many pies and been the gym occasionaly then they could clime over the tubes without deflating them

http://www.protector-diving.co.uk/images/PRO-SDT06.jpg

http://www.autumndream.co.uk/boat.htm

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dive boat.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	17980  
Old 19 March 2006, 17:53   #22
pop

Town: Paihia
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: indoard yam 420 sti
the lifts that are on the links are stand up ones i am looking for full 6ft lift. the reason i wanted 30 stone is so there can be a crew member with the diver as he comes into the rib. not because they are all like friar tuck is that a protector looks abit more commercial then the normal one http://www.protectorribs.com/protector/ . sure its not the name of the rib ?
Old 20 March 2006, 11:03   #23

Protector is the name of the rib, think its a Halmatic 28, but does have twin diesels with shafts after I had to cut the shot line off one when a former owner ran over his own shot.

Pete
Old 20 March 2006, 11:28   #24
pop

what is the halmatic hull like? they look nice, this is the sort of rib that i will be building. i would move the cabine more to the aft then on this one. the commercial ribs all seem to be built out of aluminum, do you now how the ribs handle this? i was on a yacht and the thing was like a sieve, since then i cant understand why people build with aluminum. if you can fiberglass proberly then it should be just as strong.
Old 20 March 2006, 13:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
what is the halmatic hull like?
The rib has had a cabin change since I last dived from her and now sports a bow cabin rather than the centre cabin, but she is a big steady boat and made a good dive platform for a dozen divers and there kit. Since its difficult to dive in anything above a force 5 we wouldn't normally go to sea above this, however Del Connelly who used to own her thoguht she was superb on the few occasions he got caught out at sea. Don't know what size the tubes are but they must be 26 - 30" in diameter, each section having a separate second tube inside.

Pete
Old 20 March 2006, 14:45   #26
pop

she would look better with a center cabin. how meny does she seat? thats a good idea i shall try and get my tubes done like that. we are in process of drawing up some plans for a 10m rib with a wheel house and seating for 6 with jets. have you used hamilton jets in a bigger rib? have you ever used the american jets? what do divers look for in a rib? what makes it easier to get in and out of the water for divers? after speaking with PADI we have come up with a bathing platform that will submerge fully under the water to get divers with the benz and back injuries onboard in the best way. the nearest decompressure chamber is at 20-30 min flight from are operating area. how much will the center wheel house effect the ease of the helicopter pick up?

thanks for the help
Old 20 March 2006, 15:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop
she would look better with a center cabin. how many does she seat?
Nah, it was a shambles with a centre cockpit, with half the divers up front and the rest at the back it was a nightmare to brief them. Cold up the front in winter too. Finally fumes would draw back across the rear deck at speed from the exhausts because of the aero dynamics of the cabin. A front cabin in this country keeps the spray and cold off the divers when making long trips offshore.
Quote:
Have you used hamilton jets in a bigger rib? have you ever used the american jets?
No, but Stu (Rogue wave) has a big one in his rib, have a chat to him.
Quote:
what do divers look for in a rib?
In this country, somewhere to get out of the cold and a skipper that can make a good brew take a look at this boat, it suits 12 divers with twin sets and side cylinders very well.
http://www.wightwreck.co.uk/Vessel%2...rew/vessel.htm
Quote:
what makes it easier to get in and out of the water for divers?
A decent diving ladder you can climb with your fins and kit on, wide cut out in the transom and lots of hand holds.
Quote:
after speaking with PADI we have come up with a bathing platform that will submerge fully under the water to get divers with the benz and back injuries onboard in the best way
PADI (Put Another Dollar In) don't do deco diving so why would they get the bends okay we won't go there but the divers we have had miss stops etc have surfaced got back on the boat and then we put them on 02 etc. Whilst a full length lift would be nice, is there room on a transom and at what cost ? you will need to think how they get in the water too, without getting in the way of the lift.

Pete
Old 20 March 2006, 15:56   #28
pop

when i talked to PADI dive center in paihia new zealand that run trips to rainbow warrior. they said to me that there has been 10 - 12 divers with bends in the last two years in the bay area. i am just building the boat for the purpose of rescue i am not a diver or a medic like my brother and therefore only ask for advice. on the price of building a moving platform its not that hard or that expensive as i can make this with ease myself, however i am open to all advice as i am sure you know alot about diving and can advise me on what is useful! what do you think is the best way to store tanks?
Old 20 March 2006, 16:12   #29

I think Peters boat Trojan in the link is pretty much how I would want to see a dive boat for the UK. The cylinders store on the seats tied up against the gunnels and dive bags under the seats. Large deck area also useful. However it would be worth looking at the dive boats in the area you intend to operate there are often some good reasons for there choice of vessel. Do include a toilet in the plans somewhere though a "bucket and chuck it" isn't really acceptable nowadays.

Pete
Old 20 March 2006, 16:29   #30
pop

i have had a good snoop around them. they all have the tanks in the hull but they carry alot of tanks, we only want them for the divers that are on standby in this area for emergencies. they dont have heads except on 3 of them, in the plans of the rib where the v-berth would be is a shower in its own room with the heads (not that big though). any other idears thanks for the help