Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Boy rescued from a rip current in Bude.

Just another part that the RNLi play in... The lifeguards. Well done to this guy who was certainly switched on

Old 23 July 2014, 20:07   #2

Town: Caribbean
Boat name: Rib
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 2.5 Tahatsu outboard
One should swim parallel to the beach if caught in a rip current, never against the current.

This is great advice, but often difficult to recall and implement when one is actually caught in a rip current. Hard to override the 'fear/panic' mode that kicks in.
Old 23 July 2014, 21:23   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Well done that man. thanks for posting Stevie!!
Old 23 July 2014, 21:43   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Well done that man. thanks for posting Stevie!!
I did 10 years of Cornwall holidays when the kids were little and in that time we have seen a guy drown on hayle sands trying to save his kid due to a rip current "bathing where a river flows into the sea"and I have also been caught in one myself while snorkelling at kynance cove and I only knew what to do because a card left on our caravan site explained the flagged areas on the beaches and what to do if one was caught out in a rip.

One thing I do think is that the Cornish Council wallers and the tourist board do... is provide an excellent service and protection for their holiday makers . The video I Posted proves that. Cornwall is a great place to spend your holidays at
Old 23 July 2014, 22:22   #5

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
and he even said he'd go back out and get the kids boogie board! Not sure if they have them in the UK but for the last few years my kids live for summer Junior Guards. Competition based junior lifeguard skills. Lots of water safety and because it's not their parents they really listen and learn.

I have spent a lifetime in the water and am not sure that I have ever been caught in a rip. I had some interesting current experiences. Most memorable was jumping into blue water and by the time we realized the current was too strong we were 40 yards from the boat. It took us 30 minutes to get back to the boat with our free dive fins on.
Old 24 July 2014, 00:16   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Not a rip story, but I once went halibut hunting with a friend. We surfaced so far from my boat that I didn't recognize it. When we finally realized it was actually my boat, we swam for about a half hour on the surface, without making any noticeable headway. I ended up handing off my gun and dive gear and swimming back in drysuit, fins, and mask. Still took about 45 minutes. Never saw another boat in the area. No halibut that day to boot.

jky
Old 24 July 2014, 00:32   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The kids biggest mistake was getting off his body board, as it gave him far more flotation then his exposure suit. Plus he had better visibility for rescue. He did do the right thing in that if you need help, ask for it! Yelling was very effective. (I would question where his fins where though?)

Every good surfer knows, you ride the rip out

I have been caught in a rip. Sometimes it is hard to tell you are in one, and even harder to tell if you are going in or out until you are too tired. They typically dissipate a ways passed the surf zone though. From shore they are easier to spot and often the sand in the water along with the white foam are a giveaway. Always watch from the beach for awhile before heading into the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Not a rip story, but I once went halibut hunting with a friend. We surfaced so far from my boat that I didn't recognize it. When we finally realized it was actually my boat, we swam for about a half hour on the surface, without making any noticeable headway. I ended up handing off my gun and dive gear and swimming back in drysuit, fins, and mask. Still took about 45 minutes. Never saw another boat in the area. No halibut that day to boot.

jky
You've seen me do that on a far smaller scale, when Keith ran out of air at Pt Pinos. If I remember correctly the swells were 10-12ft, and the boat could only be seen occasionally. I am happy to carry a Nautilus Lifeline now.

Twice shore diving I have really struggled to get back to shore due to a ripping current. The lifeguards on the Sonoma coast perform a lot of rescues due to people getting in over their heads.
Old 24 July 2014, 00:47   #8

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Boy rescued from a rip current in Bude.

I couldn't tell when the kid got off the board. did he fall off it before the LG got near or did he panic swim to the LG when he saw him? I'd bet the second.

I would imagine the kid learned lots that day. Will probably stick with him too.
Old 24 July 2014, 14:25   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
You've seen me do that on a far smaller scale, when Keith ran out of air at Pt Pinos.
You weren't all that far off, and we had a couple of other boats that would have come and got you if needed. Not a big deal.

I learned from the hallie trip though: If nobody else is around, make damn sure you get back to the boat.

jky