Old 26 May 2018, 23:36   #1

Town: Grover Beach
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Bow hoist point?

Hello, I have a 2009 zodiac future with a 40 hp Yamaha. In the attached picture, can I use the cleat or lower bow wench ring as a hoist point? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	124947
Old 28 May 2018, 23:00   #2

Town: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
RIBase
I would not recommend hoisting with either the cleat or the bow handle. Instead I'd use two d-rings mounted to the inside of the tube. Your Zodiac probably doesn't have the d-rings from the factory, so you'll need to install a pair. The larger the d-ring the better, and don't get the gluing wrong on this job!
FanOfZHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 01:24   #3

Ah, thanks for the tips. My boat does have front tube D-rings but they are attached to the exterior tube, not the interior. I played around on the hoist this last weekend with the bow attachment (see photo). In the photo you'll see the exterior D ring. Would these two D rings suffice for hoist points?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1608.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	124995  
Old 30 May 2018, 04:13   #4

Town: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
RIBase
I'll re-phrase: Your Zodiac Futura was not intended to be lifted, so the factory did not install the appropriate d-rings. (The exterior d-rings are for towing the Zodiac.) You will need to install/glue two d-rings on the interior of the tube, roughly opposite location to the exterior d-rings.

I fear your current set-up will cause damage to the fiberglass and/or cleat, and may pull the fiberglass piece off the tube.
FanOfZHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 08:40   #5

This is simple, do not attempt to lift with ANY glue fittings.

If you want to have hoist points installed they will need to be through the hull, zodiac can advise if it is possible for retrofit.
Old 30 May 2018, 20:27   #6

Thank you to you both for your advice.
Not sure if it matters, but this zodiac has no fiberglass...just an aluminum floorboard. Due to logistics I'm highly motivated to use a hoist setup, but understand if my boat isn't cut out for it.
One last question: What if a "sling" system were utilized under the bow, while continuing to use the two rear transom attachments (see photo)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	125020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	125021  
Old 31 May 2018, 04:24   #7

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Bow hoist point?

Ha, too funny, I recognized the pier picture, I’m in SLO. I know people who have done what you’re tying to do but I don’t exactly know how. That’s not a good looking option there. A sling under the front would be better. I’ll see if I can get some suggestions. You can beach launch over at the dog beach can’t you?
Old 31 May 2018, 17:15   #8

Hey Bigtalljv! Since I live in south county, it's logistically much, much easier to launch from Avila than Morro Bay...hence why my dive buddies and I are trying to hoist in Avila.
You're right, we could do a beach launch at the dog beach but hoisting would be easier - my zodiac sits very tall on the trailer and acquiring beach wheels that could reach the ground would be difficult but I'm thinking I might need to consider that. Also, this boat once got swamped by beach waves at some point before I owned it, as a mechanic told me when replacing the fuel pump because he found sand inside.
I'd love to hear anybody's ideas! Including scraping this option and being directed to a good resource for beach wheels....anybody??
Old 01 June 2018, 10:48   #9

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Use the two 53mm towing d-rings as guides, and run a strap through them, thus cradling the entire bow. The d-ring's don't support the weight then, they simply hold the strap in place and prevent it from moving forward or aft while lifting.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote