Click Here to Login

Old 22 July 2013, 22:38   #21

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
this is just one more sad event that is directly related to the excessive tourism we are suffering . Rock and polzeath are prime examples of soem the best parts of cornwall ruined by the wrong kind of tourism .
Worse still what is not seen is the amount of polution and rubbish that is left daily on our beaches by hordes of holiday makers How many sea creatures of all kinds are being lost . How many dolphins die out at sea slowly strangled by a plastic bag or similar .

head across the channel to France and the beaches are clean and people respect the place . Why is that ?
Old 23 July 2013, 01:06   #22

Town: weston super mare
Boat name: N/A
Make: N/A
Length: 6m +
Engine: N/A
Mistress Rib

It would be very kind of a person if they did find the dolphin that has been killed. Should they get the 2K reward to donate the money toward making the public MORE aware of respectful and safe behaviour, when watching our wonderful wildlife around the UK shores.
I am sure that such money could be used to aid our wildlife and also to aid those people who enjoy the natural world. If I was this person - I would do just this.
Use the 2k to produce written information available for people to read close too and near slip ways/harbours/marinas an so on...........
Yet another surprise to me.... that in actually being able to take a Rib/boat out on the water - one can do so without having to pass any formal information giving or having to pass a responsible safe test !
I would be happy to donate some money toward such an idea or is there such information available to the public already? personally I have not seen any. Other that posted by the kind people on here in response to this tragic story.
Sometimes - we must have rules for the good of all human's and natural world.
Old 03 August 2013, 05:13   #23

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Rib View Post
It would be very kind of a person if they did find the dolphin that has been killed. Should they get the 2K reward to donate the money toward making the public MORE aware of respectful and safe behaviour, when watching our wonderful wildlife around the UK shores.
I am sure that such money could be used to aid our wildlife and also to aid those people who enjoy the natural world. If I was this person - I would do just this.
Use the 2k to produce written information available for people to read close too and near slip ways/harbours/marinas an so on...........
Yet another surprise to me.... that in actually being able to take a Rib/boat out on the water - one can do so without having to pass any formal information giving or having to pass a responsible safe test !
I would be happy to donate some money toward such an idea or is there such information available to the public already? personally I have not seen any. Other that posted by the kind people on here in response to this tragic story.
Sometimes - we must have rules for the good of all human's and natural world.
I think the point is that the offer of £2k and the threat of prosecution has made people aware that there may be a problem. It's the request for info to be reported and the £2k incentive that have fed the media attention, that have brought this to our attention
Old 03 August 2013, 07:52   #24

Town: Plymouth
I think the Sea Shepard are just getting the name out their with this offer, as the chances of anybody actually being convicted from such a large group of boats is slim because even if somebody did come forward what's to say they acted negligently rather than this being an accident.

Awful events with a sad outcome but still, another publicity opportunity for the Sea Shepard to jump all over.

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 03 August 2013, 08:06   #25

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
[QUOTE=Mistress Rib;556769]
I would be happy to donate some money toward such an idea

Is there anything stopping you?
Old 03 August 2013, 09:17   #26

Town: Bristol
Boat name: loopy lou
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF75
Alot of hype over what was probably an accident.
I cannot believe for one minute any one would purposely drive into a dolphin.
Who ever did it probably feels terrible enough without having to worry about having a £2000 reward on their head.
Wake up sea shepard & Bob Archell’s Dive Master Insurance this is England not Japan.
Old 03 August 2013, 09:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplonker View Post
Who ever did it probably feels terrible enough without having to worry about having a £2000 reward on their head.
Wake up sea shepard & Bob Archell’s Dive Master Insurance this is England not Japan.
Actually, I agree.
Old 03 August 2013, 10:18   #28

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
At the beginning of this thread I had noted the (what now seems was inevitable slide towards) forum politics around S.Shepard etc and my feeling that these politics needed to be avoided if at all possible....(I am no ardent fan of S Shepards way of doing things I assure you)......but seeing as we've got there

I agree that this may well have been an accident, but there is also a need to learn from accidents and try to prevent re-occurance. There was, from the outset, some strong suggestion of harrassment of the Dolphins by several boats.... This needs investigation. Over and above the moral issues, it is also illegal to harrass Dolphins in the UK, and claiming ignorance on the part of the person or persons who (if indeed they did) cause the death is not a robust defence. There is a burden on us to understand (and abide by?) these laws as responsible water users..... The law must be given the opportunity to be exercised (and the finding of culpability or otherwise decided through the proper legal channels.....) To do this, clearly, there is a need to invesitgate /try and identify if a person or persons was /were responsible.

My own feeling is that he attention this has received can only be a positive thing in terms of raising awareness of the legal and moral issues (and potential outcomes of ignoring these) surrounding interaction with wildlife (in general) and cetaceans (in particular).

You are quite right, this is England....but the law also extends to the other countries of the UK too

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2013, 10:42   #29

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Seems to me that Sea Shepard is run on donations yet they want to give away 2 grand
Old 03 August 2013, 10:51   #30

This event was witnessed and as such the police are dealing with it. Accident or not. It is a crime if there was harrassment, especially, but not only if a death results. But enterprises offering rewards leaves a bad taste. The police are dealing with it. Claiming rewards leads to malpractice. Why didn't they come forward anyway?This now has the publicity, let's hope for an honest and lasting result.
Old 03 August 2013, 11:11   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Seems to me that Sea Shepard is run on donations yet they want to give away 2 grand
Maybe they saved it on crew training?
Old 03 August 2013, 13:29   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kerny sea shepherd are only offering 1000 the rest is from an insurer. Given the huge costs of running their operation 1k for something that furthers their interests seems small fry to me. Even if there was no intent to cause harm it doesn't make it morally or legally right. Bounties are always concerning but in reality most are a pr trick to get it media coverage. No way 1000 would buy them the sort of reporting they got. The bonus is chance of conviction is low so probably never paid.
Old 03 August 2013, 16:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill RIBs View Post
At the beginning of this thread I had noted the (what now seems was inevitable slide towards) forum politics around S.Shepard etc and my feeling that these politics needed to be avoided if at all possible....(I am no ardent fan of S Shepards way of doing things I assure you)......but seeing as we've got there

I agree that this may well have been an accident, but there is also a need to learn from accidents and try to prevent re-occurance. There was, from the outset, some strong suggestion of harrassment of the Dolphins by several boats.... This needs investigation. Over and above the moral issues, it is also illegal to harrass Dolphins in the UK, and claiming ignorance on the part of the person or persons who (if indeed they did) cause the death is not a robust defence. There is a burden on us to understand (and abide by?) these laws as responsible water users..... The law must be given the opportunity to be exercised (and the finding of culpability or otherwise decided through the proper legal channels.....) To do this, clearly, there is a need to invesitgate /try and identify if a person or persons was /were responsible.

My own feeling is that he attention this has received can only be a positive thing in terms of raising awareness of the legal and moral issues (and potential outcomes of ignoring these) surrounding interaction with wildlife (in general) and cetaceans (in particular).

You are quite right, this is England....but the law also extends to the other countries of the UK too

I think you've missed my point so i'll explain

( England not Japan )
As a nation we do not slaughter dolphins.

( Probably an Accident )
Not a willful act

I think if you are looking to educate the general public to there legal requirements when interacting with dolphins, Offering a £2000 pound reward for info on the killer is not the way.

This is only giving sea shepard & Bob Archell’s Dive Master Insurance publicity.
Old 03 August 2013, 17:07   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I think if you are looking to educate the general public to there legal requirements when interacting with dolphins, Offering a £2000 pound reward for info on the killer is not the way.

This is only giving sea shepard & Bob Archell’s Dive Master Insurance publicity.
Actually what it does is highlight to the boating public that:

- there are expected standards of behaviour
- that abusing them could lead to prosecution
- that the absence of officials on scene won't necessarily stop a prosecution
Old 03 August 2013, 17:39   #35

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
Maybe they saved it on crew training?
LOL.

jky
Old 03 August 2013, 17:58   #36

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
People seem to think more of animals than human beings 2k reward ....

Compensation for abused and murdered children don't get much more than that

Don't get me wrong I love animals and I'm certainly against cruelty and unnecessary killing of them but for me human beings come first.

I would rather give 2k to the NSPCC than pay a reward to find out who was responsible for killing that dolphin.
I agree with Kerny 100%!.. Sad I'm sure,but Come on!... with the things happening to Children in Society (Ours) Surely there are ALOT of other things,of much more importance to exercise our Sympathy and Fund Raiseing!?.. Always found it incongruous that we a have a Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and just a National One for our Children
Maybe that says a lot about The Public Mentality

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2013, 18:28   #37

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
+2 for that mate can't see em killing it on purpose not like them twats we have heard about in the news this week
Old 03 August 2013, 19:01   #38

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Always found it incongruous that we a have a Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and just a National One for our Children
Maybe that says a lot about The Public Mentality

The NSPCC was granted its Royal Charter in 1895, when Queen Victoria became its first Royal Patron. It did not change its title to "Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children" or similar, as the name NSPCC was already well established, and to avoid confusion with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), which had already existed for more than fifty years.
Old 03 August 2013, 19:18   #39

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post

The NSPCC was granted its Royal Charter in 1895, when Queen Victoria became its first Royal Patron. It did not change its title to "Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children" or similar, as the name NSPCC was already well established, and to avoid confusion with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), which had already existed for more than fifty years.
And what a waste of time the RSPCA are in my book
Old 03 August 2013, 19:55   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Actually what it does is highlight to the boating public that:

- there are expected standards of behaviour
- that abusing them could lead to prosecution
- that the absence of officials on scene won't necessarily stop a prosecution
If this is the case next time you are out on the water ask a few of the general or boating public what are the standards of behaviour required when interacting with dolphins in Uk waters,
And then maybe ask them if they know anything about the £2000 reward put up for finding the recent Padstow dolphin killer.
I am sure I know which one they will know more about.

If you have never been told how to act around dolphins or any other marine wild life how will you know.
I was only told how I should act after my first experience with bottlenose dolphins in Aberporth after I had already interacted with them.

As I said before I cannot believe some one would purposely drive over a dolphin but when they swim under your boat as they often do an accident could happen.

Education not scare tactics.