Old 16 March 2008, 09:00   #21

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
They are getting worse now. I've now had 7 ads for my jetski disallowed with no reason given despite emailing 'Boats' on here AND their admin. Eventually I rang them and the ad was allowed...but as soon as I edited it to put a couple of small details in that I forgot, it was disallowed again...

Just glad I wasn't paying for the 'service'. If I was I'd be billing them for time wasted by now.
I have a credit with them and emailed to ask what I can do with it, have a guess and what the response was.

Old 16 March 2008, 10:57   #22

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Same experience as oher users and advertisers - doubt we'll be going back. To add insult to injury, the Friday-Ad group recently bought Mailspeed Marine. Not sure I like the idea of paying a competitor to advertise! Perhaps the profits from Mailspeed will outweight the lost advertisers?

I don't understand why the site is so painfully slow now. Never seems to load up properly - sometimes get pics, sometimes not.
Old 16 March 2008, 15:17   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
On a more positive note, I received a reply from them today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsandoutboards admin
Dear Seller
Thank you for placing your advert online at www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk.

However, we feel that the advert may be incorrect as the price is extremely low for the product in question (delete which is necessary)

We have put your advert on hold for the time being until we have details clarified. Would you be kind enough to reply to this mail and confirm to me the correct price. If we do not hear back within 48 hours we will assume you do not require the advert any more.

As there is a large amount of fraud on the internet we wish to protect both yours and potential buyers interests.

Yours faithfully

Internet Support
It's fair comment I guess.

Anyone wanna buy a jetski cheap?!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2008, 18:19   #24

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
When i go on to the B+O website i get a pop-up from utarget showing some poncey Land Rover ad.... does anyone else get this or is it just me?
We will be taking that pop_under off the website shortly.
Old 17 March 2008, 18:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
We have just pulled all of our advertising from the site for this very reason. The web site is running slower and slower and I am sure people looking to purchase a Rib are not interested in buying riding lessons or a new kitchen.

The site has to make revenue to be viable, the adverts you dislike are no different to most other popular websites, that said we like to listed to what people say and particularly RIB.net users so will be seeing what we can do to reduce the less relevant advertising. The site speed issue I am also investigating, the website is the UK's busiest marine website by a country mile and so at certain times the load on the servers can be quite a bit, hopefully users will nottice an improvement in the next couple of days.
Old 17 March 2008, 18:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Yes - used to be for Sky TV until recently.

I'm not sure whats wrong with charging people to advertise (or e.g. charging for adding a picture) - assuming the costs are low. Afterall anyone listing there is intending to make money out of it. This would also reduce the tendency for the "scam posts".

Yes, this hits the nail on the head we have to make it a viable business but also by charging a small fee to list a boat on our website we manage to reduce the amount of scam adverts.
Old 17 March 2008, 18:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
Excellent.... my pop up ad has changed to think property! ....'good to see we've had a response from them too. Not.
Sorry I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks!

I am now working in my spare time to address the points raised here, I have checked my inbox and have not had any emails from anyone here, if anyone does have any feedback or needs help then please email stephen@boatsandoutboards.co.uk
Old 17 March 2008, 18:32   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Exactly my view, it has been getting slower and more expensive and is now unusable for the trader and getting that way for the buyer.

They lured me back for a three month retrial and it was the worst thing I ever did, I do not think I got a single enquiry from anyone outside of Nigeria.

Our prices have not increased in well over 15 months, certainly since I joined the company in Jan '07, I am looking in to the speed issues.

I have just looked at emails that your account received whilst it was live and you had many good responses from the adverts you had placed online with us so I think that is a little bit unfair to say that did not get any outside of Nigeria.
Old 17 March 2008, 18:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Same experience as oher users and advertisers - doubt we'll be going back. To add insult to injury, the Friday-Ad group recently bought Mailspeed Marine. Not sure I like the idea of paying a competitor to advertise! Perhaps the profits from Mailspeed will outweight the lost advertisers?

I don't understand why the site is so painfully slow now. Never seems to load up properly - sometimes get pics, sometimes not.
This is no different to any other successful company, look at the services Tesco and Sainsburys offer in addition to food! Friday-Ad is our parent company and so for all intents and purposes Mailspeed Marine are customers of ours like many others, we even invoice them! BoatsandOutboards is the busiest marine website in the UK for internet traffic and I understand you have to make a business decision but we would like to have you back onboard and I am sure advertising with us would benefit your business.
Old 17 March 2008, 18:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
They are getting worse now. I've now had 7 ads for my jetski disallowed with no reason given despite emailing 'Boats' on here AND their admin. Eventually I rang them and the ad was allowed...but as soon as I edited it to put a couple of small details in that I forgot, it was disallowed again...

Just glad I wasn't paying for the 'service'. If I was I'd be billing them for time wasted by now.
Hi,

When did you email me as I have not received anything, checked spam folder!

I have been away for a couple of weeks so will just double check the inbox as there is a fair amount of emails there.

Many apologies for the lack of response!

Stephen
Old 17 March 2008, 18:55   #31
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
the adverts you dislike are no different to most other popular websites,
Stephen I would disagree with that, blanket (untargeted) advertising can not generate you significant revenue . In contrast context sensitive adverts (i.e. related to boats) would generate you much more if you did it right.
Old 17 March 2008, 19:11   #32

Quote:
Stephen I would disagree with that, blanket (untargeted) advertising can not generate you significant revenue . In contrast context sensitive adverts (i.e. related to boats) would generate you much more if you did it right.
I think you missed my point, our website like most other successful niche websites will carry what you might call non relevant advertising, it is however desirable to have the advertising that is marine related and that is what we strive for, any remaining inventory is sold as you see it now and it does go a long way to paying the bills!

Cheers

Stephen
Old 17 March 2008, 19:47   #33

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Hi Stephen, i also e mailed you twice, and nil responce, ok i understand that e mails can go missing, BUT the site now is so slow,its painfull, its all changed in the last year, so what ever you have done, reverse it, its what the customers want, you are hearing from customers that can be bothered to tell you,
What about the ones that cant??
Old 17 March 2008, 19:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Hi Stephen, i also e mailed you twice, and nil responce, ok i understand that e mails can go missing, BUT the site now is so slow,its painfull, its all changed in the last year, so what ever you have done, reverse it, its what the customers want, you are hearing from customers that can be bothered to tell you,
What about the ones that cant??
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the message, honestly not sure where those emails have gone!

I am taking on all the feedback as I am sure you can see.

Just out of interest what browser and type of internet connection are you using?

Thanks

Stephen
Old 17 March 2008, 20:02   #35

explorer and drawing 7meg,wireless laptop, just clicked on a particuler rib manufacturer and timed 11 secs between pages, its great that your addressing these issues, just do them fast!!!
Old 17 March 2008, 20:10   #36

ive just tapped in Avon under sports and dive, and it bought 9 other manufacturers boats and 3 ads for Talk Talk car phone warehouse that i could not get rid off, also beat that time, 18 sec watching a blank blue screen,
come on Stephen you can do it !!!
Old 17 March 2008, 20:12   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
explorer and drawing 7meg,wireless laptop, just clicked on a particuler rib manufacturer and timed 11 secs between pages, its great that your addressing these issues, just do them fast!!!
We should have this resolved pretty quickly, fingers crossed and thanks for the feedback.

Stephen
Old 17 March 2008, 20:17   #38

splendid, Now may i suggest you go buy a rib to redeem your self !!!
Old 17 March 2008, 20:19   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
Just out of interest what browser and type of internet connection are you using?
It won't matter its painfully slow for everyone... ...XP pro, very slow PC, IE6 and 2.3Mb/s connection (actually giving about 1Mb/s real speed):

time to load www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk (IE already open) 30s to blue background, 54s till pictures etc loaded. Then click "ribs for sale" link. Another 30s for blue screen and 66s until content/images loaded.

compare this to rib.net get new posts command < 6 seconds and www.bbc.co.uk/news which loads in about 9 seconds including all pictures.

In the office - theoretical 8 Mb/s connection, faster PC running IE7 then other sites load faster but B&O is not.
Old 17 March 2008, 20:26   #40

Quote:
It won't matter its painfully slow for everyone... ...XP pro, very slow PC, IE6 and 2.3Mb/s connection (actually giving about 1Mb/s real speed):

time to load www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk (IE already open) 30s to blue background, 54s till pictures etc loaded. Then click "ribs for sale" link. Another 30s for blue screen and 66s until content/images loaded.

compare this to rib.net get new posts command < 6 seconds and www.bbc.co.uk/news which loads in about 9 seconds including all pictures.

In the office - theoretical 8 Mb/s connection, faster PC running IE7 then other sites load faster but B&O is not.
I just need to look at all the possible causes, I am using Firefox at home in the middle of the countryside (away from the exchange) and although it is not great it is not as slow as you guys are getting, it was slow using IE in the office this afternoon. I have my developer looking in to it so hopefully we will get it solved!