Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Other stuff
Click Here to Login

Old 12 April 2014, 20:30   #1

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Boat Launching in Newquay, Cornwall

Been a while since my last, what's my options ?

Its a hefty 6.4m Pilothouse, twin axle trailer. Need to launch and rest her in the harbour. Customer says launch directly from the harbour beach, which will require car to get wet. Not ideal

Any other options ? Planned to happen next weekend, am I tide dependant ?

Thanks in advance

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale
07930 421007
BoatsandOutboards4Sale | Hand-picked boats & motors, fully tested, delivered nationwide.
Old 13 April 2014, 07:16   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I've never looked at either. Only ever powered down from our side, which again is a beach launch.

I suspect Rock is an option for you;

Ramp Description: There are two launching areas; one at Rock Sailing Club and one at Ferry Point at the end of the road. The Sailing Club has facilities for members only - temporary membership is available except during August. At Ferry Point there are a total of three slipways. Best to launch at half tide when there is plenty of hard sand/stone beach space for turning and a gently sloping wide beach. Avoid launching in season when the sailing races are starting i.e. 1 hour before high water as you will be unable to find a space at the waters edge. Light dinghies can be launched and stored at Ferry Point 450 yards further to seaward adjacent to Quarry car park. Spring low tide exposes soft sticky mud - best avoided. Daily, weekly of annual rates for harbour due depend on boat size and power. Cheap rate is for boat up to 10 hp, more for power boats. Pay Beach master at top of slip.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 19:32   #3

Town: Plymouth
To close this off

I launched the 6.4m Pilothouse on a twin axle roller trailer at Newquay. 1.5hr after high water, from the slip in the harbour. Its not a big slip, which turns into beach pretty quickly. The sand is fine to drive on. The slip is cobbled and not particularly steep so your good for most sized Ribs, cars etc.

Didn't need to get the car wet, any later and I'd have no option but to. There was a hose to wash down after. Access was down a steep hill, exit would be back up this, which may pose a problem for smaller cars etc, especially if met with traffic.

Overall not too bad and a delightful place to be.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale
07930 421007
www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk