Old 03 December 2006, 01:47   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Bloody windy 79mph

Why do we in Wales always have the worst bloody weather??? Not only is Swansea officially the wettest in Britain but it seems to me we get the highest winds as well.

Just checked http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

79mph at Pembrey sands - that's 1 mile from my boat!!!

It is really rough tonight - and we have had ONE day without rain in the whole of November.
Old 03 December 2006, 04:28   #2

Just been down to check on my boat - yes at 4am - couldn't sleep knowing what the weather was like. Didn't help it was a high tide as well.

I can honestly say I have never seen rain so bad - hit one squall on the M4 that totally blinded me - had to come to a stop for a few seconds - it was like driving through a waterfall.

Fortunately all was fine but what a sight - wouldn't fancy anyone's chances out in that tonight. Storm force 11 or 12 - 26ft waves - the sea really did look evil. The waves were breaking over the harbour wall itself - never seen it that bad before.

Wind has dropped a bit now - looks like Plymouth and the South Coast are getting it pretty bad as well.

Just looked - 81kts at Seven Stones - that is a hurricane I believe.......
Old 03 December 2006, 09:28   #3

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
The Met Office seem to think that Pembrey Sands had a 99mph gust of wind in the early hrs of this morning - I'm more inclined to believe them rather than XC Weather, since they probably receive the original weather information.

We hit a pretty tame 72mph at Milford, probably since we're in sheltered waters with land all around. I doubt the weather buoy off Turbot Bank had accurate readings, since it will have been sitting in the troughs of quite a reasonable swell lastnight

I trust you are taking the boat out for a spin today Codprawn? - The wind combined with water would make a good pressure washer for the hull I reckon.

Interestingly, the Irish Ferry left lastnight around 1630hrs and went straight into the bad weather - now that is one trip that would have been great fun.

-Alex
Old 03 December 2006, 13:36   #4

XC weather get live feeds from all sorts of places - it is aimed at pilots really. The pembrey sands site is the missile range I assume.

99mph - missed that one - prob when I went down there!!! Even I wouldn't go out in a RIB in what I saw last night. Really was horrific. The trip on the ferry would have been fun though!!!
Old 03 December 2006, 20:52   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Well it was about 5 kt here today (very unusual) and I have just got back from six hours ribbing, both of us a little pink and completely knackered but a fine day out, did about 60 miles in total at a rough guess from the map, longest trip yet and spent a while messing around with anchoring and with the aux engine to run it in a bit more.

Also saw a guy I know with about six or seven kids out in another RIB, not a lifejacket on one of them...

And the port side tube is f***ed again

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2006, 21:08   #6

Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown View Post
Interestingly, the Irish Ferry left lastnight around 1630hrs and went straight into the bad weather - now that is one trip that would have been great fun.

-Alex
Brings back some bad memories.
A Christmas run to Ireland is often a risk weather-wise

K & P
Old 03 December 2006, 21:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Well it was about 5 kt here today (very unusual) and I have just got back from six hours ribbing, both of us a little pink and completely knackered but a fine day out, did about 60 miles in total at a rough guess from the map, longest trip yet and spent a while messing around with anchoring and with the aux engine to run it in a bit more.

Also saw a guy I know with about six or seven kids out in another RIB, not a lifejacket on one of them...

Sounds like a great day out. I WAS tempted to go out today but full of Flu and feel like death so prob not a good idea - still very rough but winds have dropped to about 60 or 70 now. Sea looks no worse today than the last time I went out for a bit of rough!!!
Old 04 December 2006, 07:56   #8

Town: Port St Mary
Boat name: No room for a name
Make: Honwave 2.7 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 5
Gusting at 100 MPH here on Saturday Night , Rearanged the boat park but no damage.
Old 04 December 2006, 12:08   #9

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Went up to Tarbert at Loch Fyne late afternoon on Saturday (about 35 miles). Headed back yesterday morning, a bit of a jabble . Recon it was gusting F10 at one point at Inchmarnock when a squall came through with 3m+ waves. Only other boat we saw was the Arran Ferry heading to Gourock all other ferries were off.

Had a WAFFI with us that had just came back from his second round the world sail, he loved it but said that he had never seen such short steep waves, welcome to the Clyde .

I decided to take a camera with me for some pictures......................only I forgot to check it had a Flash Card . One again the Redbay performed faultlessly and never took one directly over the bow................although she did take a few over her side at Ardlamont where you get the depth going from around 175m to 23m and the waves starting to stand.

Did both runs in the dry of the shelter......no oilskins required.
Andy
Old 04 December 2006, 17:11   #10

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Kids without life jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post

Hi Stephan, you should have reported person in RIB with kits without life jackets I think.

Hi Guys, its that bad here in Galway west of Ireland too. Whats with the 26ft waves, they are tiddlers... come look at the atlantic the white caps ar 26 ft.

There is nop boat big enough for me to be out in this weather.
Did play 14 holes of Golf on Sat though (window in weather)

Hate to be on that ferry ....PUKE!.......
Old 04 December 2006, 17:33   #11

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Well, it was pretty rough yesterday morning so I took a trip down to St Anns to watch the Gerd Knutsen leave the Haven. Have attached a few pics of her - one on a calm day, so you can see her size against one of the Svitzer tugs in the Haven, and then the other 3 as she left yesterday. On quite a few occasions, her prop was well clear of the water, and infact it took her 20mins to cover about 5 boat lengths. Unfortunately, it started raining quite hard as things started to get quite lively
At the time, the swell had dropped to just on 6 metres, so it was pretty calm compared to earlier in the day.

edit: oh, Codprawn, there were some people more brave than you out on the weekend from Swansea - Rowers, without engines Check the MCGA Website....

-Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gerd_knutsen_03-12-06_1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	23569   Click image for larger version

Name:	gerd_knutsen_03-12-06_2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	23570   Click image for larger version

Name:	gerd_knutsen_03-12-06_3.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	23571   Click image for larger version

Name:	gerd_knutsen_1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	23572  
Old 04 December 2006, 17:45   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Hi Stephan, you should have reported person in RIB with kits without life jackets I think.
to who?
Old 04 December 2006, 18:01   #13

Bloody idiots - rowing boats in this weather??? I would have taken the RIB out in the Bristol Channel on Sunday - quite tame compared to the Burry Estuary.

"Steve Jones, Swansea Coastguard Watch Manager said
This situation has us baffled. Given the weather conditions that were sweeping through the area at the time and in common with the rest of the country with gale force winds and high seas, we are somewhat at a loss why they put to sea in the first place. Seemingly they went with the tide and given the strength of the gales they couldnt turn against the wind which then blew them into shallower water."
Old 04 December 2006, 20:59   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
Polwart has already replied

Not really anybody here that would be too bothered - and anyway its a small place to be a snitch even if I did feel the inclination. To put it into context it was a nearly calm day and they were only doing about 18-20 knots so in all probability the risks were low but I wouldn't have been happy to be one of their parents even so.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2006, 20:35   #15

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Why do we in Wales always have the worst bloody weather??? Not only is Swansea officially the wettest in Britain but it seems to me we get the highest winds as well.
Don't think so, see this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest...es/derek.shtml

Snowdonia has over 3000mm
Old 05 December 2006, 21:53   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Why do we in Wales always have the worst bloody weather???
Depends what you define as worst, and who you are comparing it to?

Statistically I think you will find that in general much of the west coast of scotland is:
  • wetter than most of wales
  • colder than most of wales
  • gets less sunshine than most of wales
  • and a little windier than some of wales
But you do get more thunder.

And whilst most of the UK had higher than average rainfall in Sep-Nov 06 Wales actually had "normal" rainfall.

Appologies to VisitScotland for any damage to scottish tourism.

However the answer to your question - why is the weather in wales "crap" - is simple - geography. The solution is simple too: If you don't like it - move!
Old 05 December 2006, 22:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bolton View Post
Don't think so, see this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest...es/derek.shtml

Snowdonia has over 3000mm
Sorry - left out the word CITY!!!
Old 05 December 2006, 22:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Depends what you define as worst, and who you are comparing it to?

Statistically I think you will find that in general much of the west coast of scotland is:
  • wetter than most of wales
  • colder than most of wales
  • gets less sunshine than most of wales
  • and a little windier than some of wales
But you do get more thunder.

And whilst most of the UK had higher than average rainfall in Sep-Nov 06 Wales actually had "normal" rainfall.

Appologies to VisitScotland for any damage to scottish tourism.

However the answer to your question - why is the weather in wales "crap" - is simple - geography. The solution is simple too: If you don't like it - move!
Nice to know there are some worse places - dunno about the wind though - I check it every day as I am paranoid about my boat and the storms always seem to hit us harder - as they are south Westerlies most of the time Scotland gets a bit of shelter from Ireland.

At least in the summer we don't get any bloody midges!!!
Old 06 December 2006, 07:47   #19
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Nice to know there are some worse places - dunno about the wind though - I check it every day as I am paranoid about my boat and the storms always seem to hit us harder - as they are south Westerlies most of the time Scotland gets a bit of shelter from Ireland.

At least in the summer we don't get any bloody midges!!!
Ireland will only afford protection from a SW as far north as Fort William.

The only wind figures I could find quickly were averages over a long period of time (I think 1970-2000) and so it is possible you have had it worse since you acquired your boat.
Old 06 December 2006, 11:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ireland will only afford protection from a SW as far north as Fort William.

The only wind figures I could find quickly were averages over a long period of time (I think 1970-2000) and so it is possible you have had it worse since you acquired your boat.

A lot depends on where the weather stations are located - obviously the top of Ben Nevis will give a higher reading than on the coast.