Old 18 September 2013, 03:10   #31
RIBnet admin team
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Be very careful making comments like that, especially on a forum, it is very easy to deny any knowledge, if you don't know the origin of something that comes into your possession and you then sell it you'd not have much of a let to stand on.
Thomas - thanks for your "advice" - however what I stated is the law so I don't need to be 'careful', there is certainly the case that if any reasonable person should have known or believed it was stolen, then you will be assumed to have known - however the burden of proof is on the crown to show that you did or should have known it was stolen. That is not the case for a trailer neatly left in on your property. That doesn't mean you have an automatic right to flog it - but that you would (likely) not be presumed to believe it stolen and thus categorical statements that you are guilty of handling stolen goods are a nonsense.
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2013, 04:44   #32
Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Is the sticking point of this issue down to the fact that the 'land owner' gained a financial advantage from the 'dumping' of this item on his land...... would it be an issue if he disposed of it at the tip etc!?

I accept this incident is unfortunate and frustrating however i think this is more of a moral issue than a legal one.

Sibbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote