Old 19 May 2008, 12:07   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Bike Racks

Thinking of getting rid of a few pounds... and some £'s too by taking up cycling again. Anyone got some advice on a good bike rack to go for, i.e. ones that hang off the boot lid or ones that sit on the tow ball ? what makes are best that wont damage the car ? (X5)
Old 19 May 2008, 15:03   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I've had both types (ie attached to boot lid / attached to tow ball) and I reckon the type which attach to the tow thingy are the best by a long way. I have a Pendle rack which is fantastically well made - http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet...l Support Rack . Mine bolts to the towbar behind the towball using a bracket like this - http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet...val%20Mounting - if you have a BMW clip-on towball you may need the towball attachment - http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet...w%20Bar%20Rack
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 15:12   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I've got a Weber thing that drops a tube into a pipe that bolts on with the tow hitch. It's brilliant, but wont fir to an X5 hitch. The best way to not scatch the car is with a roof mounted effort, but you'll need to be 7ft tall to get the bikes on and off an X5. Best of all, buy a suitable trailer.
Old 19 May 2008, 15:56   #4

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have the Thule tow hitch mounted version and it is head and shoulders above the other types.
I have had the roof bar mounted versions and the strap on hatch mounted versions and hated both of them for various reasons.
Old 19 May 2008, 16:22   #5

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
i also have a tow bar mounted Thule, prounouced (toolay) i think , anyway, brilliant bit of kit!!
Old 19 May 2008, 22:57   #6

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
The tow ball jobbies are great... unless you want to take your bikes and your RIB someplace at the same time.... I have found myself using the boat as a bike trailer on a few occasions but I am always concerned about the sharp bits "annoying" the toobs!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2008, 23:12   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Bike racks have always been a compromise for me.

I have an expedition style Roof basket for my shogun which I can strap Four bikes down in upsidedown.
Once they are up there its great, but I climb up and walk around whilst Mrs Nasher has to pass them up to me.

The rack I have that attaches to the spare wheel is only really any good for one bike, or at a push two kids bikes, I wouldn't want any more weight on there. Its great when one of the kids wants a bike taken to a friends house etc as its quick to put on and importantly allows the boot door to open fully even with a bike on it.

The one we've aquired recently to fit the pug 206 attaches to the hatchback and is a little inconvieniant.
It stops the boot opening, is a pain to put on and off, carries the bikes too high. I wouldn't want too much weight on it either.

I've thought about the towbar mounted ones before, but always shyed away as you can't open the boot.
Do those that attach to a plate behind the hitch itself stop you towing?
We'd like to have the bikes with us when going away camping so also need to tow the boat.

Big thing for me really is to be able to open the boot/rear door.

Nasher.
Old 20 May 2008, 06:15   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
The plate itself doesn't stop you towing, I couldn't say if the bike rack does once fitted as I've never tried - I guess it may depend on which version you have as you can get them up to four bikes deep. I reckon the hitch may not clear the two main support bars though.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2008, 10:26   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Best of all, buy a suitable trailer.
? and then be restricted in speed limit, have extra tyres/bearings to maintain, as well as taking up space to store. Unless you are trying to move lots of bikes don't see a trailer as being the best solution.

Roof rack is possibly the best way to go - but it might restrict your ability to get into a lot of car parks - particularly in rural areas where they are trying to stop caravans staying overnight.

I have gone the towball route with a Thule rack which required no mods to the standard tow ball and I am very happy with it. There is a bonus that you can lift the whole rack off and leave it (padlocked to something) on the ground at your destination if you are away for a few days which saves finding somewhere to store bikes or dragging them with you every time you go to the pup/shop etc.

Have tried various rear door hung racks in the past and they were all a bit of PITA if you had more than one bike on them to prevent them rubbing against each other.
Old 20 May 2008, 10:32   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I've thought about the towbar mounted ones before, but always shyed away as you can't open the boot.
We'd like to have the bikes with us when going away camping so also need to tow the boat.

Big thing for me really is to be able to open the boot/rear door.
The Thule one I have tilts to let you open the boot without removing the rack - but you can't tow with it in place. I assume you could find away to mount the bikes securely inside the boat if required.
Old 20 May 2008, 12:19   #11

Thanks for your advice guys I kind of fancied the hitch mount myself, and even though its a demountable tow bar on the car, this one

http://www.thule.com/upload/PDFs%20F...003_Xpress.PDF

seems to do a good job and is quite easily removed and clamps straight onto the ball
Old 20 May 2008, 14:34   #12
RIBnet admin team

Is there a reason for that particular one? it doesn't tilt so no access to the boot and you'll need a light board (which presumably you have - but you will need to strap on every time). I think its this one I have -http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____45838.aspx

its generally easier/simpler, and I think holds the bikes better - but not sure about the price difference?
Old 20 May 2008, 14:50   #13

Well I liked the fact that the bike would be behind a frame on my one, as I'm afraid of the bike coming agaist the boot lid, and not sure how to avoid this untill I see the frame. TBH they both look a little ungainly, I assume there is some sort of guy strap goes to either side to stabilise them ? The roof option is not really a good one due to the height, despite the fact I am almost the 'full Kennett' .. perhaps a visit to a local stockist would be in order to eyeball the rig out
Old 20 May 2008, 15:16   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Well I liked the fact that the bike would be behind a frame on my one, as I'm afraid of the bike coming agaist the boot lid, and not sure how to avoid this untill I see the frame. TBH they both look a little ungainly, I assume there is some sort of guy strap goes to either side to stabilise them ? The roof option is not really a good one due to the height, despite the fact I am almost the 'full Kennett' .. perhaps a visit to a local stockist would be in order to eyeball the rig out
Yes if you can find someone with one on display (they are supplied in a box waiting to be bolted together). Happy to take / send any pictures of mine if it helps - but that won't give you any comparison. There are no guy ropes on mine (but there are on some designs) - but if its done up tightly it doesn't move.

There are three spaces for bikes on mine. The bike is supported on its wheels and strapped to the carrier by the wheels. Then there are two vertical uprights which the bike is also secured to. So if you are not using the "slot" closest to the car there is a "frame" between the bike and car. If you are using that slot then you are relying on the retaining strap working - but it seems robust enough to me.
Old 20 May 2008, 17:51   #15

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
? and then be restricted in speed limit, have extra tyres/bearings to maintain, as well as taking up space to store. Unless you are trying to move lots of bikes don't see a trailer as being the best solution.
On 4x4's the roof is too high or so I found it at 6'2". I'm not sure over the years how I've not damaged the car getting them on or off.

The stern mount restrict your view, stops you opening the rear door, from my experience you are much more likely to scratch the car and the bikes are far more likely to come loose.

Again this my view,I bought a kiser kraft bike rack, the kind you see out the front of libraries etc (one for 4 bikes) fitted it with quick release bolts in the front of my trailer,benifits are if you've been off roading the bike is covered in mud,who cares it's going in the trailer not on your car,washing all 4 down is simple, do it in the trailer. Mounting the bikes couldn't be simpler, with no risk (the kids can do it). To me there no comparison,although lots of other bikers all swear by there own setup..