Old 20 May 2008, 08:19   #11

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Thanks for your advice guys I kind of fancied the hitch mount myself, and even though its a demountable tow bar on the car, this one

http://www.thule.com/upload/PDFs%20F...003_Xpress.PDF

seems to do a good job and is quite easily removed and clamps straight onto the ball

Old 20 May 2008, 10:34   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Is there a reason for that particular one? it doesn't tilt so no access to the boot and you'll need a light board (which presumably you have - but you will need to strap on every time). I think its this one I have -http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____45838.aspx

its generally easier/simpler, and I think holds the bikes better - but not sure about the price difference?
Old 20 May 2008, 10:50   #13

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Well I liked the fact that the bike would be behind a frame on my one, as I'm afraid of the bike coming agaist the boot lid, and not sure how to avoid this untill I see the frame. TBH they both look a little ungainly, I assume there is some sort of guy strap goes to either side to stabilise them ? The roof option is not really a good one due to the height, despite the fact I am almost the 'full Kennett' .. perhaps a visit to a local stockist would be in order to eyeball the rig out
Old 20 May 2008, 11:16   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Well I liked the fact that the bike would be behind a frame on my one, as I'm afraid of the bike coming agaist the boot lid, and not sure how to avoid this untill I see the frame. TBH they both look a little ungainly, I assume there is some sort of guy strap goes to either side to stabilise them ? The roof option is not really a good one due to the height, despite the fact I am almost the 'full Kennett' .. perhaps a visit to a local stockist would be in order to eyeball the rig out
Yes if you can find someone with one on display (they are supplied in a box waiting to be bolted together). Happy to take / send any pictures of mine if it helps - but that won't give you any comparison. There are no guy ropes on mine (but there are on some designs) - but if its done up tightly it doesn't move.

There are three spaces for bikes on mine. The bike is supported on its wheels and strapped to the carrier by the wheels. Then there are two vertical uprights which the bike is also secured to. So if you are not using the "slot" closest to the car there is a "frame" between the bike and car. If you are using that slot then you are relying on the retaining strap working - but it seems robust enough to me.
Old 20 May 2008, 13:51   #15

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
? and then be restricted in speed limit, have extra tyres/bearings to maintain, as well as taking up space to store. Unless you are trying to move lots of bikes don't see a trailer as being the best solution.
On 4x4's the roof is too high or so I found it at 6'2". I'm not sure over the years how I've not damaged the car getting them on or off.

The stern mount restrict your view, stops you opening the rear door, from my experience you are much more likely to scratch the car and the bikes are far more likely to come loose.

Again this my view,I bought a kiser kraft bike rack, the kind you see out the front of libraries etc (one for 4 bikes) fitted it with quick release bolts in the front of my trailer,benifits are if you've been off roading the bike is covered in mud,who cares it's going in the trailer not on your car,washing all 4 down is simple, do it in the trailer. Mounting the bikes couldn't be simpler, with no risk (the kids can do it). To me there no comparison,although lots of other bikers all swear by there own setup..