Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Beware of Chinese import kayaks.

I know that some of you guys on here own kayaks and this is some info for anyone looking for a cheap kayak. This is taken from my kayak forum...

This happened to us this weekend
« Thread Started on Jun 18, 2013, 10:22pm »
Before I write anymore, I would like to point out that this is firstly my first post. That secondly, I am posting here to spread the word about the safety implications on cheaper chinese imported kayaks. Thirdly, this is a true story about events this weekend. Fourthly, my husband is not an experienced pro like many of you may be, he's just started out and although he goes kayaking with someone experienced who can teach him actual method, he relied heavily on a seller to sell him something fit for purpose and seaworthy.
And lastly, if you want to make any ill remark against me and my husband, then do it bearing in mind that we have been through a pretty horrendous four days; I thought my husband was dead. I'm not going to appreciate some attitudes, I'm sure, but I'm not here for advice, I am here to ensure this never happens again. I guess that word of mouth about these things is one way to start.

My husband bought a kayak online three or four weeks ago (a seller on Ebay, one with good feedback and many sales of kayaks and kayak related gear). This kayak is a mass produced Chinese model. On it's first trip onto the water, one of the reel holders came off leaving a gaping hole in the kayak. My husband contacted the seller who sent him a new rod holder and rivets. My husband fixed it on carefully, mindful of ensuring it was sealed in.

The following are his words over what happened this weekend on his second trip out in this kayak:

"The sea conditions worsened and a decision was made to return to shore. My fishing line became tangled up on the buoy as I paddled back in my open top kayak. The kayak capsized, due to my line being tangled up. At this point there was nobody around to help me. My two-way radio (the other one being ashore with my partner) was unable to work as it became waterlogged; it would only send static. At this point I was trying to right the kayak as it had overturned. I turned it the right way up and cut the fishing line which by now was also tangled around me. One rod holder was missing (a different one to the one I had fixed) Panic set in fully when my open top kayak started to sink. The more I tried to get back into it, the more it sank. Eventually, the kayak was horizontal in the water, with just the tip end out of the water. I was in the water for around thirty minutes in rough sea swallowing water. Only my buoyancy aid kept me afloat and despite wearing a wetsuit I was becoming extremely cold and losing my energy. At this point I thought I would die and never see my family again.
I saw my friend suddenly appear from nowhere in his kayak. He came to me and told me that the coastguard had been called. It was stipulated to the third person on shore (who was communicating with my friend via their radio, and coastguard via mobile phone), that he must under no circumstances try to get me out of the water, but he told me help was on its way. At this point I was losing consciousness on and off as my friend kept on talking to me whilst keeping me clinging to his kayak side. By now my kayak could no longer be seen as it was submerged completely. Please note, this should not happen to an open topped kayak. Around 53 or 54 minutes from the beginning of the incident, a Sea King helicopter appeared overhead and rescued me from the water by winchman. My friend was exhausted from the ordeal of the past half an hour; he had paddled frantically to find me then fought in rough seas to keep me with his kayak, and no longer had the energy to return to shore. The coastguards / lifeboat brought him in. They said that had my friend not found me and stayed with me, I would have been dead. I am very thankful to my friend and all the men and women involved with my rescue. "

The kayak nearly caused my husbands death. We had the kayak given back to us, the lifeboat brought it into shore for safety reasons. The design and manufacture is such, that upon inspection today, the remaining three rod holders pulled straight out when a broom handle was pushed into the cup (including the replacement that my husband riveted back into place using supplied rivets). The gaping hole left by a rod holder which needed only a simple capsize to come loose, allowed this kayak to fill up with water and sink. The rivets are next to useless.

The seller has sold thousands of these kayaks.

He gave us a refund for the kayak and offered to pay for all the lost equipment, something that he hasn't so far kept to his word with. The kayak went back to him today to be 'investigated' so all we are left with are pictures, video, and some extremely nasty memories which will stay with us for life. It's not much recompense for what has happened but we will use it to help others, none the less.

We want people to be aware of the safety issues of mass chinese imports; we do not want this to happen again.

That's why I am posting this here, on a forum with a good reputation.

And to finish - no, he hasn't been put off completely... but he plans to spend an awful lot more on another kayak and the next one won't be a cheap chinese import.
Old 20 June 2013, 11:27   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Can't see owt Steve, link takes you to login page. I hope it's not just another story about cr4p Chinese boats
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 11:29   #3

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Can't see owt Steve, link takes you to login page. I hope it's not just another story about cr4p Chinese boats
Try now
Old 20 June 2013, 11:54   #4

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
How much do these things cost? Anyone got a link?
Old 20 June 2013, 12:19   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
How much do these things cost? Anyone got a link?
The prices this guy sells them for do not appear cheap to me... Galaxy kayaks. But maybe the quality is..... I believe trading standards are involved now.

It could quite well have been a one off, I guess we'll just have to wait what evidence T.S. comes up with.

Galaxy Kayak | eBay
Old 20 June 2013, 12:35   #6

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
No one here will have a negative comment about the paddlers in this serious event...

Is 2 x large internal fixed Floats in Kayaks, used at sea, not normal practise....?? It should be.

Every time I see a Kayak away from shore, with our UK tides and weather, when I am in my 30 knot boat, makes me think you are braver than I...

Glad everyone is ok, I know what it feels like to nearly drawn.....
Old 20 June 2013, 12:47   #7

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
I believe there are many things coming out of China that are copied from good products but do not have the quality you would expect, we need to be vigilant!
Many years ago my father was a canoe instructor, he taught me & many others to kayak. We always had buoyancy bags in the front & rear sections to give support if capsized & flooded. If at sea we carried hand-held radios in waterproof bags. Is this not normal practise when you go canoeing?
Old 20 June 2013, 13:11   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscubanut View Post
We always had buoyancy bags in the front & rear sections to give support if capsized & flooded. If at sea we carried hand-held radios in waterproof bags. Is this not normal practise when you go canoeing?
Most kayak fishermen use sit on tops so no buoyancy bags needed as you would have a job fitting them. These are mainly used in s.i.n.k.s..... open canoes / kayaks.

As for VHF he should have had a waterproof one, and yes it is common practice to carry all the safety gear needed, but hey!! he is new to the sport.. he probably had it in a bag but got it wet while taking it out treading water, lucky for him, he was out with a buddy that didn't leave him.
Our forum like many other kayak sites do promote safety at sea, just like we do on RIBnet
Old 20 June 2013, 13:13   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
This appears to be a "sit on top" kayak. I'm not familiar with them but I imagine they are 'designed' to be one big sealed unit, unlike a traditional kayak which is a shell and can have flotation added. If someone drills holes in it to fit rod holders that obviously affects the water tight integrity.
Old 20 June 2013, 13:22   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If someone drills holes in it to fit rod holders that obviously affects the water tight integrity.
Yes thats correct Poly, the sit on tops have scupper holes built into the mould to drain water off the top but .... there is a void and if that fills they can sink below the surface for sure. It look like this particular make has, poorly factory fitted rod holders.
Old 20 June 2013, 13:30   #11

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
wheabouts did all this happen Kerny??
Kayakers off here scare me, strong tides and exposed beaches etc - its bad enough on a river (I know the river beds all over the Lake District very well cos I was always upside down, didnt see much of the above water scenery though!)
Old 20 June 2013, 13:58   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think 'proper' seakayaks are very seaworthy ( despite having to stop and help one the other day and Poole Sea safari dragging a couple out of the water a few weeks ago) but I do see lots more people on these nowadays in areas which leaves them little option if anyting 'goes wrong' .

As with all things even the best prepared can need help, but an over confidence in your kit will always lead to trouble of some kind
Old 20 June 2013, 14:13   #13

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

The prices this guy sells them for do not appear cheap to me... Galaxy kayaks. But maybe the quality is..... I believe trading standards are involved now.

It could quite well have been a one off, I guess we'll just have to wait what evidence T.S. comes up with.

Galaxy Kayak | eBay
Does it say galaxy kayaks in the report Steve? I got one of these last year for the girls to play on in the marina
Old 20 June 2013, 14:21   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kerny - thanks for posting this. I have a bit of a notion to try sea kayaking as it strikes me as a bit like sibbing without all the noise, and a more of a feeling of achievement. I probably wouldn't go sit on top but I hadn't really considered that some might be fundamentally flawed rather than just not as well finished.
Old 20 June 2013, 16:35   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
Does it say galaxy kayaks in the report Steve? I got one of these last year for the girls to play on in the marina
I'm afraid so Mike, but I think that it is okay for what your girls use it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Kerny - thanks for posting this. I have a bit of a notion to try sea kayaking as it strikes me as a bit like sibbing without all the noise, and a more of a feeling of achievement. I probably wouldn't go sit on top but I hadn't really considered that some might be fundamentally flawed rather than just not as well finished.
SINKS or sit in kayaks are a lot warmer due to you legs and waist being covered , and once you get used to them, more maneuverable than sit on tops. Some of the sea kayaks are really top notch but are expensive 2k upwards for the fiberglass models Fishermen prefer the sit on tops for freedom of movement and stability while sitting for hours trying to catch

The most important thing that people forget about is fitness ... especially for sea use!!... stamina and upper body strength in my opinion is a must.

But I agree Poly, you do have a great sense of achievement after a good days paddle and all its cost you... is a few Mars bars

Wish I never sold mine
Old 20 June 2013, 16:40   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
wheabouts did all this happen Kerny??
Kayakers off here scare me, strong tides and exposed beaches etc - its bad enough on a river (I know the river beds all over the Lake District very well cos I was always upside down, didnt see much of the above water scenery though!)

Kayaker thought he was going to die when trapped in fishing line off North Wales coast - North Wales Weekly News
Old 20 June 2013, 17:30   #17

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
what a nightmare story ,i have a frenzy and have never had a problem not to say it wouldn`t happen i was finding it hard to imagine how an open top would fill so fast .. well done all around for having a buddy and someone on the ground
Old 20 June 2013, 20:30   #18

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i sank my perception2 kayak a few weeks ago with my 6 year old on. for some reason the drain bung was missing and a couple of small waves (sea was flat calm) over the rear the kayak began to fill with water. as soon as i realised what was happening i did my best to get back to the beach but with no luck. i just had time to tell my son that we were 'going in' before the bow pitched up and we rolled over. to his credit my son never panicked once, he just kept tight hold of his paddle with one hand and the rope attched to the kayak with the other. we ended up swimming with the kayak to a nearby rock off our beach.
once on the top of this rock it took several attempts and every ounce of strength to tip out enough water to be able to get back on before paddling to shore - all the while we were sinking again!
cutting a long winded story short, always check that any drain bungs / deck hatches are securely in place - remember this happened very quickly in flat seas. luckily i never venture out of our small bay / beach. oh and a kayak full of water is damn near impossible to paddle at all.
Old 20 June 2013, 21:19   #19

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

Yes thats correct Poly, the sit on tops have scupper holes built into the mould to drain water off the top but .... there is a void and if that fills they can sink below the surface for sure. It look like this particular make has, poorly factory fitted rod holders.
They would be better off making the rod holders like the scupper holes instead of cutting and drilling the hull
Yet more Chinese crap
Old 20 June 2013, 21:30   #20
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
They would be better off making the rod holders like the scupper holes instead of cutting and drilling the hull
Yet more Chinese crap
Don't know if it's done in one piece on the better ones, but I suspect that's down to issues getting them out of the mould.

Self tappers and Sika would still be a better bet than plain cheap rivets, but that'd take time.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote