Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I wouldn't expect them to be interested in a novice canoeist who makes some mistakes. But I'd imagine they'd be interested in a design flaw in a boat?

The canoeist can self report... so if their interest is in preventing it happening to anyone else they should do so. I suspect MAIB would put more time into it than trading standards who may well say the supplier has refunded so there is no issue to be followed thru'
The guy in question reckons he is going to take this all the way with the kayak supplier.
Old 21 June 2013, 22:50   #42

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
The guy in question reckons he is going to take this all the way with the kayak supplier.
His wife sounded pretty pissed. Never cross the wife!
Old 21 June 2013, 22:56   #43

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
His wife sounded pretty pissed. Never cross the wife!
Thats the one
Old 21 June 2013, 23:04   #44

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

Mike some kayak gurus on the forum reckon that there is nothing wrong with the Galaxy moulds its the fittings they have been using for the rod holders i.e. poorly fitted, cheap, and the wrong type of rivets.
Cheers Steve. Will check mine out tomorrow as I e got a free day with not travelling up to piel island :-(
Old 21 June 2013, 23:08   #45

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
Cheers Steve. Will check mine out tomorrow as I e got a free day with not travelling up to piel island :-(
Yeh tell me about it..... shity bloody weather
Old 22 June 2013, 09:11   #46

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I read it as though he had a two way radio not a marine VHF?
Old 22 June 2013, 09:13   #47

Length: 3m +
From MAIB website:

WHAT WE DO

The role of the MAIB is to contribute to safety at sea by determining the causes and circumstances of marine accidents and working with others to reduce the likelihood of such accidents recurring in the future. Accident investigations are conducted solely in the interest of future safety. The Branch does not apportion blame and it does not establish liability, enforce laws or carry out prosecutions.
WHAT IS AN ACCIDENT?

The full definition of an accident is contained in the MAIB’s enabling regulations. In summary, an accident is an undesired event that has occurred directly by, or in connection with the operation of a ship, that has resulted in:
the loss or abandonment of the ship;
death, serious injury, or the loss of a person from a ship;
stranding or disabling of a ship;
material damage to the ship, another ship or marine structure; and/or
serious pollution

Accidents, including serious injuries, should be reported to the MAIB by the quickest possible means to enable inspectors to start an investigation before vital evidence decays, is removed or is lost. The MAIB has a dedicated reporting line for this purpose, and this line is staffed 24 hours a day.

---

I understand the desire to take it forward with the seller / maker. But given the type of craft involved they will be transferred second hand and finding new owners will then be hard, plus i suspect there is more than one importer I'd have thought an MAIB enquiry would be more likely to add to the safety of other water users than an indivdual seeking recompense for a faulty product.

Very easy for the seller to say it was a one off moulding fault and refund the buyer. MAIB would look at other simillar craft and see if it was more than a 1 off.

MAIB tends to let RYA deal with sail racing accidents so i guess same for BCU but this is a cruising situation...
Old 22 June 2013, 09:29   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Not sure that just because it floats (or doesn't) it is the MAIB's baby. I mean, if you go to sea in a bathtub and it sinks, is it an MAIB matter...
I'd say thats for MAIB to decide. But if people regularly take to sea in bath tubs then maybe.

From the RYA website: "These [Recreational Craft Directive] regutions apply to all recreational craft between 2.5 and 24 metres in hull length whatever the means of propulsion. They may be fully built or partly completed; constructed within, or imported from without the EEA. The builder, importer or owner, or the person putting the craft into EEA service, (the responsible person) has a legal obligation to ensure that the craft meets the relevant requirements and to carry out the appropriate CE marking."

So wouldn't be unreasonable for MAIB to say that your Bath Tub is too small to apply to the RCD so maybe also isn't subject to MAIB review...

All the Galaxy canoes I looked at were >2.5m so should comply with the RCD.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:56   #49

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Canoes / Kayaks are RCD exempt !
Old 22 June 2013, 18:51   #50
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
All the Galaxy canoes I looked at were >2.5m so should comply with the RCD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
Canoes / Kayaks are RCD exempt !
Correct all canoes / kayaks are exempt regardless of length. However the MAIB's interest is not in RCD enforcement anyway it is in prevention of casualties at sea though identifying the underlying causes of marine accidents.

Historically Kayak accidents have not fallen within their activities though - serious incidents on organised trips have been the interest of the HSE which was partly responsible for creating the ALA. The MAIB don't usually take too much interest in leisure accidents with no serious injury/death though.

If I was trying to raise awareness though I would report to the MAIB because they may spot a trend with a type of craft.
Old 25 June 2013, 21:45   #51

RIBase
A positive response from the owner of Galaxy Kayaks . This might be useful info for any RIBnet members that own one of these Kayaks

This is taken from the Kayak forum I use.

I have spoken to both graham and Paul today and asked if either one had any objections to me making this post both were superb and had no objections at all so here goes.

I have today been contacted by graham challis, graham is the owner of galaxy kayaks UK.
He contacted me to tell me about the steps he and his company have taken to ensure nothing like this can ever happen again with his products.
Graham has told me himself and his staff took this incident very seriously and that they have.
Refunded Paul (kayakfishing) for his kayak and lost equipment.
Removed and replaced the rivets in flush mounted rod-holders with tri fold marine grade rivets on all angler kayak existing stocks.
They are also in the process of contacting previous customers offering them free replacement rivet kits.
They have spoken to the manufacturers and insisted that from now on the factory will use only tri fold marine grade rivets on flush mount rod holders.

Speaking to graham I feel he is very sincere and committed to improving the products he sells he has asked if we would like to take some of his kayaks and see for ourselves the work he and his staff have done in replacing the rivets.
I have agreed on the basis that once seen we will test and review the products and then return them to graham this way we are able to give a totally un-bias review graham has agreed to this.

I have also spoken to Paul (kayakfishing) and explained the improvements graham and his staff have made Paul was very pleased to hear the news and agreed that galaxy kayaks had done well to implement the improvements and changes so quickly.

Well done to both parties.
Old 25 June 2013, 21:50   #52

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Doing the right thing never goes out of style!!
Old 25 June 2013, 21:53   #53

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Doing the right thing never goes out of style!!
Very true