Old 20 June 2013, 09:30   #11

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
wheabouts did all this happen Kerny??
Kayakers off here scare me, strong tides and exposed beaches etc - its bad enough on a river (I know the river beds all over the Lake District very well cos I was always upside down, didnt see much of the above water scenery though!)

Old 20 June 2013, 09:58   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I think 'proper' seakayaks are very seaworthy ( despite having to stop and help one the other day and Poole Sea safari dragging a couple out of the water a few weeks ago) but I do see lots more people on these nowadays in areas which leaves them little option if anyting 'goes wrong' .

As with all things even the best prepared can need help, but an over confidence in your kit will always lead to trouble of some kind

Old 20 June 2013, 10:13   #13

Town: Caernarfon
Boat name: Bay Bar Dos
Make: Tornado
Engine: Honda 130
MMSI: 235092178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

The prices this guy sells them for do not appear cheap to me... Galaxy kayaks. But maybe the quality is..... I believe trading standards are involved now.

It could quite well have been a one off, I guess we'll just have to wait what evidence T.S. comes up with.

Galaxy Kayak | eBay
Does it say galaxy kayaks in the report Steve? I got one of these last year for the girls to play on in the marina
Old 20 June 2013, 10:21   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kerny - thanks for posting this. I have a bit of a notion to try sea kayaking as it strikes me as a bit like sibbing without all the noise, and a more of a feeling of achievement. I probably wouldn't go sit on top but I hadn't really considered that some might be fundamentally flawed rather than just not as well finished.
Old 20 June 2013, 12:35   #15

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcowilliam View Post
Does it say galaxy kayaks in the report Steve? I got one of these last year for the girls to play on in the marina
I'm afraid so Mike, but I think that it is okay for what your girls use it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Kerny - thanks for posting this. I have a bit of a notion to try sea kayaking as it strikes me as a bit like sibbing without all the noise, and a more of a feeling of achievement. I probably wouldn't go sit on top but I hadn't really considered that some might be fundamentally flawed rather than just not as well finished.
SINKS or sit in kayaks are a lot warmer due to you legs and waist being covered , and once you get used to them, more maneuverable than sit on tops. Some of the sea kayaks are really top notch but are expensive 2k upwards for the fiberglass models Fishermen prefer the sit on tops for freedom of movement and stability while sitting for hours trying to catch

The most important thing that people forget about is fitness ... especially for sea use!!... stamina and upper body strength in my opinion is a must.

But I agree Poly, you do have a great sense of achievement after a good days paddle and all its cost you... is a few Mars bars

Wish I never sold mine
Old 20 June 2013, 12:40   #16

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
wheabouts did all this happen Kerny??
Kayakers off here scare me, strong tides and exposed beaches etc - its bad enough on a river (I know the river beds all over the Lake District very well cos I was always upside down, didnt see much of the above water scenery though!)

Kayaker thought he was going to die when trapped in fishing line off North Wales coast - North Wales Weekly News
Old 20 June 2013, 13:30   #17

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: gnasher
Make: sr5.4
Engine: hidea 5 yam 90
what a nightmare story ,i have a frenzy and have never had a problem not to say it wouldn`t happen i was finding it hard to imagine how an open top would fill so fast .. well done all around for having a buddy and someone on the ground
Old 20 June 2013, 16:30   #18

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i sank my perception2 kayak a few weeks ago with my 6 year old on. for some reason the drain bung was missing and a couple of small waves (sea was flat calm) over the rear the kayak began to fill with water. as soon as i realised what was happening i did my best to get back to the beach but with no luck. i just had time to tell my son that we were 'going in' before the bow pitched up and we rolled over. to his credit my son never panicked once, he just kept tight hold of his paddle with one hand and the rope attched to the kayak with the other. we ended up swimming with the kayak to a nearby rock off our beach.
once on the top of this rock it took several attempts and every ounce of strength to tip out enough water to be able to get back on before paddling to shore - all the while we were sinking again!
cutting a long winded story short, always check that any drain bungs / deck hatches are securely in place - remember this happened very quickly in flat seas. luckily i never venture out of our small bay / beach. oh and a kayak full of water is damn near impossible to paddle at all.

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
Festinghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 17:19   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

Yes thats correct Poly, the sit on tops have scupper holes built into the mould to drain water off the top but .... there is a void and if that fills they can sink below the surface for sure. It look like this particular make has, poorly factory fitted rod holders.
They would be better off making the rod holders like the scupper holes instead of cutting and drilling the hull
Yet more Chinese crap
Old 20 June 2013, 17:30   #20
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
They would be better off making the rod holders like the scupper holes instead of cutting and drilling the hull
Yet more Chinese crap
Don't know if it's done in one piece on the better ones, but I suspect that's down to issues getting them out of the mould.

Self tappers and Sika would still be a better bet than plain cheap rivets, but that'd take time.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote