Old 27 October 2008, 13:56   #21

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
PS. My techo-phobe mother wanted me to get her a really basic laptop to learn on. I got her a brand new one from Dell for £199 ex vat. For the price, its pretty good - feels pretty solid and does everything you need it to. Might be worth looking at.

Old 27 October 2008, 15:06   #22

Town: Bristol
Make: Honwave T35AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
PS. My techo-phobe mother wanted me to get her a really basic laptop to learn on. I got her a brand new one from Dell for £199 ex vat. For the price, its pretty good - feels pretty solid and does everything you need it to. Might be worth looking at.
I would second that.

Dell have greatly improved over the last couple of years. If I'm asked to source a laptop for a client I often use Dell. Look at their business section and you'll find the Vostro range, really solid, well built and they start at £229+vat. They often have offers on and even if they don't it's easy so play the salemen off against each other as they work on commision - if you play it right you'll get one salesman trying to top a deal you've been offered by another

You will really struggle to buy one from anywhere with XP these days unless you buy second hand. Vista is not so bad, SP1 has improved things and as long as you have a relatively capable spec laptop it will be usable - a graphics card will help a lot due to the aero effects but at £300 you're unlikely to get one included in the price. Alternatively I'm sure there would be someone on here close to you that could install XP for you

Andy H - you'll prob regret asking the question, there are too many conflicting views to get a definitive answer - you'll hear a horror story about most manufactures out there, just try and pick out the bits of advice that make most sence to you

Old 27 October 2008, 15:20   #23

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy JC View Post
Dell have greatly improved over the last couple of years.
Now on my fourth Dell and
Old 27 October 2008, 15:21   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Dell don't actually make anything - just badge engineering!!!
Old 27 October 2008, 15:21   #25

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Last time I was on the Dell website you could still order with XP
Old 27 October 2008, 15:22   #26

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Is that a problem?
Old 27 October 2008, 15:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Last time I was on the Dell website you could still order with XP

Technically true but up until about 3 months a go it was free, now you have to pay an extra £40 and it's not just a standard XP install....

From their website: "Genuine Windows Vista® Business (SP1) with XP Pro installed and Vista & XP Media-English [add £40.00 or £1/month-1]"

Quote:
Also true but whoever does make their laptops for them (probably either Twinhead, IBM, or Toshiba) does a feckin good job so who gives a toss?!?

My job is to service Dell laptops for a corporate company and we are finding that, as time goes on, they're proving to be more and more reliable - good news for the comapny but maybe not so good for us in the long run
Old 27 October 2008, 16:12   #28

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Technically true but up until about 3 months a go it was free, now you have to pay an extra £40 and it's not just a standard XP install....

From their website: "Genuine Windows Vista® Business (SP1) with XP Pro installed and Vista & XP Media-English [add £40.00 or £1/month-1]"

Also true but whoever does make their laptops for them (probably either Twinhead, IBM, or Toshiba) does a feckin good job so who gives a toss?!?

My job is to service Dell laptops for a corporate company and we are finding that, as time goes on, they're proving to be more and more reliable - good news for the comapny but maybe not so good for us in the long run
Not with a large mobile phone company by any chance?

I am not so sure about modern laptops and reliability - they chuck out a hell of a lot of heat which can't be good for electronic parts. And Dell had to recall over 4 million because of exploding batteries!!!

Are you aware of the problems with laptops that have the Nvidia 8400/8600 graphics? Great cards but most of them are dying just after the warrenty period - all the companies new about it and yet still offered them - all sorts of legal claims at the moment. Not amused as I have one in my lovely HP laptop - it's fine at the moment BUT........
Old 27 October 2008, 16:41   #29

Quote:
Not with a large mobile phone company by any chance?
Previously Orange, now KPMG (both use Dell) so on the button there Cods

Quote:
I am not so sure about modern laptops and reliability - they chuck out a hell of a lot of heat which can't be good for electronic parts. And Dell had to recall over 4 million because of exploding batteries!!!
Ours run very cool, much cooler than my 12 month old Tosh which is currently burning my legs

As for the batteries and cards, yes I am aware of the problems, just haven't had any 1st hand experiences - as I said earlier, you'll hear horror stories about most manufacturers and 3 years a go I hated Dell as much as the next man but recent experiences have been much more positive.

Anyway I didn't really want to get in to a deep discussion, this isn't gonna help Andy find a cheap laptop - mearly wanted to express my opinion
Old 27 October 2008, 16:56   #30

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Ours run very cool, much cooler than my 12 month old Tosh which is currently burning my legs
What the hells it doing down there

Quote:
this isn't gonna help Andy find a cheap laptop

Dont buy anything off this thread Andy ... you knew that would happen