RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Take your test and grab yourself a low mileage GPZ500 or similar.
There's no economy to buying any 125 unless you don't mind constantly working on them,and they aren't easy to find that haven't been thrashed.
A sporty 125 2 stroke will use almost as much fuel as a small car now too and once it goes pop it'll cost just as much to repair, but it'll go pop more often.

Alternatively, I've got a very nice low mileage '92 GSX750ESD here for sale for 800 quid...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2011, 06:23   #22

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Hi ,
For daily use I would consider a Scooter !
Was laughing all my life about them but now I have a Yamaha and do not want to miss it anymore !
You will sit quite well protected from the elements and in addition you have storage for helmet , jacket or other things underneath the seat and if available in the topbox . This cannot offer any motorbike !
I am not a softy - when I want to ride motorbike I take my KTM 990 Adventure but for city drives = SCOOTER !
Rgds - Jürgen
Old 10 November 2011, 15:57   #23

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Well after some serious thought on this matter I think that I will take Seabay and Nos4r2 advice and just go for it and take my test, and then look for summut a bit bigger like a 500 or 600cc. I'm looking at spending 3k. Will I be able to get anything decent for that kind of money and would I be better buying from a reputable dealer rather than private, due to my lack of knowledge of two wheeled machines ??
Old 10 November 2011, 17:27   #24

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Good plan I did the direct access test a decade ago and jumped onto a GSX550. Insurance was cheap due to age and the bike was a hoot to ride.

I would go for a private sale, something unmolested and ridden by an old bloke. This looks nice but the price is a bit OOT for this time of year. Good time to buy though. Like boats, don't leave it until the Spring.

Kawasaki ZR Zephyr 550, 1994, 25k, Ecellent Condition, 3 Month Warranty. | eBay

Pete
Old 10 November 2011, 19:17   #25
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Seconded Pete.

Be aware, if you can stick to something that uses a 130/90 rear tyre you'll keep the running costs down considerably. Once you get into putting radial tyres on, the tyre life decreases dramatically and the tyre cost increases per tyre rather a lot as well.

For example, my CBR1000 is around £300 to put new tyres on, every 3000 miles.

My GS850 which I've had for years and years,when ridden as an only form of transport went through a rear tyre once a year and a front every 2 years, at around 75 quid a time.

Old 10 November 2011, 20:00   #26

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
A friend is selling a YBR125 custom.
I got a 600 Bandit when I passed but found it a bit sluggish two up, nice and nimble compared to the 1200 though.
Old 10 November 2011, 20:57   #27

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Ah, now yer've come to yer senses and at that money I would be looking closely at Hornet 600's or even slightly better the Suzuki GSR600.
Old 11 November 2011, 00:15   #28
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courageous View Post
Ah, now yer've come to yer senses and at that money I would be looking closely at Hornet 600's or even slightly better the Suzuki GSR600.
You're still into paying nearly as much for tyres as fuel on those though.

Old 11 November 2011, 20:12   #29

RIBase
Is this a good starter bike ??

http://www.121bid.com/2006-GORILLA-1...uction_details

I believe that the Guernsey bikers use them, being as they are of a shorter stature

Are the tyres any good on this Nos ??
Old 11 November 2011, 20:16   #30

S'luverly innit? What do you think it will be when it grows up Kerny?

Nos - depends how you ride it IMHO. I know they're only meant to be ridden one way though!
Old 11 November 2011, 22:05   #31

Another thought is the riding position. Modern sports bikes put the weight of the rider on your wrists whilst the older more upright style less so when riding around town. At speed the wind pressure takes your body weight. Your wrists will hurt for a while until you get used to it on a sports bike, hence the suggestion something like the Zephyr which is a classic btw.

Also see if you can find a biker whose owner drives a car during the winter so the bike is fun summer weekend transport. All things considered the condition will be much better.

I certainly wouldn't be put off with an older 1990s bike. At the prices being asked if you were unfortunate enough to chuck it down the road then pick it up, straighten the bars get back on and ride off. Try that with a modern plastic fantastic and you will end up with an airfix kit to glue back together.

Had one of these for a week as a courtesy bike. Great for around town and fun through the traffic and very frugal. Dakar version if your taller and CS if you want belt drive rather than chain or are shorter.

BMW F650GS in Great Condition and with LOTS of Extras | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GS650.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	63867  
Old 11 November 2011, 22:11   #32

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Another thought is the riding position. Modern sports bikes put the weight of the rider on your wrists whilst the older more upright style less so when riding around town. At speed the wind pressure takes your body weight. Your wrists will hurt for a while until you get used to it on a sports bike, hence the suggestion something like the Zephyr which is a classic btw.

Also see if you can find a biker whose owner drives a car during the winter so the bike is fun summer weekend transport. All things considered the condition will be much better.

I certainly wouldn't be put off with an older 1990s bike. At the prices being asked if you were unfortunate enough to chuck it down the road then pick it up, straighten the bars get back on and ride off. Try that with a modern plastic fantastic and you will end up with an airfix kit to glue back together.

Had one of these for a week as a courtesy bike. Great for around town and fun through the traffic and very frugal. Dakar version if your taller and CS if you want belt drive rather than chain or are shorter.

BMW F650GS in Great Condition and with LOTS of Extras | eBay
That's a nice looking bike for the money Pete. What would you say is the average mileage a year for a bike ?? is it similar to cars !!
Old 11 November 2011, 22:55   #33

You should find most bikes sitting in a warm garage during the winter so mileage much lower than say a car and the overall condition will reflect this. From the advert which is quite typical:

I bought the bike in May and have only put about 1100 miles on her since

Japanese bikes don't do well during the winter with salt attacking the ali parts. Those that do ride during the winter either accept this and don't worry about it or wash the bike like mad. Personally on an older bike I wouldn't worry.

Whilst BMW might be seen as bikes for old codgers that's exactly what your looking for rather than something trashed to within an inch of its life every day. BMW were also more expensive, so first few owners had money to have the extras like luggage and heated handle grips fitted as standard and the the bike dealer serviced etc. There is a 12v socket for extras on that F650 for example and something

The 650 is much lighter than the larger BMWs and really quite nippy through traffic. MPG should be around 50mpg depending on riding style which will be hard to beat. Oh and check the road tax, which will be low enough to make 4x4 drivers cry

This is worth a read:

WiseBuyer's Guides - BMW F650 GS bike road test
Old 12 November 2011, 01:58   #34
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Have to say I'm rather taken by the F650 as well. A mate had an early (T reg) one for a while and I had a play on it,along with riding around 600 miles in a weekend alongside me.
With road tyres on the handling is quite good, they are quite cheap to run and they have a reasonable turn of speed for what they are. If you're that type, they wheelie easily too

650 road tax isn't that low though-it's just above the 600cc cutoff for really cheap tax.

The only real negative is that the finish, while better than Jap bikes of the same era isn't really up to what I used to expect from BMW-but saying that, it's still not bad.

Old 12 November 2011, 02:08   #35
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Is this a good starter bike ??

2006, GORILLA 110CC MONKEY BIKE (Auction ID: 436126, End Time : 02 May. 2011 16:28:15) - 121Bid

I believe that the Guernsey bikers use them, being as they are of a shorter stature

Are the tyres any good on this Nos ??
LMFAO, throwaway... if someone doesn't drive over the top of you!

Old 12 November 2011, 07:37   #36

"Also see if you can find a biker whose owner drives a car during the winter so the bike is fun summer weekend transport. All things considered the condition will be much better."

Pete - my BIKER doesn't have an owner (unless you're referring to my bank manager?)
Old 12 November 2011, 08:38   #37

Town: Birmingham
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Have to say I'm rather taken by the F650 as well. A mate had an early (T reg) one for a while and I had a play on it,along with riding around 600 miles in a weekend alongside me.
With road tyres on the handling is quite good, they are quite cheap to run and they have a reasonable turn of speed for what they are. If you're that type, they wheelie easily too

650 road tax isn't that low though-it's just above the 600cc cutoff for really cheap tax.

The only real negative is that the finish, while better than Jap bikes of the same era isn't really up to what I used to expect from BMW-but saying that, it's still not bad.
Seconded! bought an early pre GS one last year with a little accident damage, repaired it and added some panniers probably cost about £1200 all in with a new set of tyres then went to France on it to visit the Normandy Landing beaches. Its got 30k on the clock but lots of history & didn't miss a beat. I planned on selling it once i'd got back but its just been to useful to let go so i'm planning a trip to the pyrenees next year with the old boy who's 74 and still riding an 1150rt. There's a good forum F650.co.uk if you do decide on one

regards AL
Old 12 November 2011, 08:50   #38

Yeah my mate Chris gave up his FJ1300 cos he kept fallin' over doing U-turns (little legs, fat belly ) and he got one of the latest 650's from BMW. Beautiful bike, he's delighted with it! A very capable machine by all accounts.
Old 12 November 2011, 09:26   #39

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
I bought a Suzuki Bandit GSF 650cc brand new in 2006 for commuting . It cost about £4300 . Just got a quote from " webuyanybike.com" who offered me £850 . I suspect that the real selling value is about twice that . ( Mines not for sale anyway , at least not until I retire ! ). It's been a really good reliable commuter.....a couple of punctures but never broken down .....touches wood quickly !. I suspect that a new chain set & two new tyres , it really would be good as new , but as already mentioned , don't underestimate the price of genuine spare parts . ( £560 for a genuine suzy exhaust tail pipe )
Old 12 November 2011, 09:51   #40

Bought my Kawasaki Zx-10 B3 (AKA Tomcat) 4 years ago, dodgy 6000 miles on the clock but still in exceptional condition for £1500. Still worth 1200 now prolly.

Still holds it's own both on the straights and the twisties.

Gimme 80's muscle bikes any day!