Old 03 March 2003, 12:52   #11
Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Originally posted by Alex Brown
However, on the downside to serving on adsl, you are pretty well restricted to 256kb upstream, unless you're on an SDSL exchange, where it'd be somewhat quicker

My Rib's website for instance is hosted on a box at work, and that's through the ADSL which is fine for my needs, but I suppose if more than say 6 or 7 people were hitting it at any one time, then it would become painfully slow.

A 256K ADSL link will handle plenty more than 6 or 7 people hitting it at a time. If I were running streaming video then yes I would want plenty more bandwidth however I suspect most of the stuff served by the Ribnet server is low bandwidth text with some pictures thrown in. Only John can tell us for sure.

I have a server on the end of an ADSL link and that server currently home to some 19 web sites. Daily average hits on the top two web sites are in excess of 4000 each and serving on daily average 143174K of data. (these are the average daily figures for Feb 2003)

I have had two recorded outages of the ADSL link to my premises in the past year and in both cases service was restored within a couple of hours.

No doubt others will have more to say but this is a snippet of my experience with ADSL in a live enviorment.

mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2003, 13:26   #12
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The server where RIBnet lives is on a 10Mb/sec connection, so no problem with capacity there. That's one of the reasons why the site is normally so fast!

I wouldn't consider running a public server on anything with bandwidth as limited as an ADSL line. Take the server to the bandwidth, not the bandwidth to the server - colocation is the answer.

However, colocation with a bunch of idiots who are completely uncontactable for 48 hours isn't so good -- "I'm sure we emailed you the new contact details! just doesn't cut it really.

Onwards and sideways . . .

John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 March 2003, 06:39   #13
Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
I don't know anything about all this techno stuff but, from a non tech aspect, ribnet does seem ever so fast compared to other forums around, some are bloody painfull!!!!!

Jonny Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote