Old 10 January 2007, 19:40   #21

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I too have destroyed a phone similarly... ...I am amazed noone makes a genuinely water proof one - there are a few which are "splash proof" but nothing you would take for a swim and expect to still work... ...surely there are enough idiots like me who could justify one.
There was a thing on the Gadget Show a few months ago about testing these things and they put a Nokia waterproof one (5140 I think?) into a paddling pool and blew it up and it still worked afterwards

Personally mine lives in an Aquapac when on the boat because you can't hear it ring anyway with the engine at full chat so I don't need to use it and I only carry it for safety. Total cost still under £50 for a phone that is waterproof and floats

My last one got (ahem) sat on by two people in (ahem) circumstances I won't go in to and I guess an Iphone would have gone crunch in much the same way

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2007, 19:48   #22

Town: Aylesbury
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
There was a thing on the Gadget Show a few months ago about testing these things and they put a Nokia waterproof one (5140 I think?) into a paddling pool and blew it up and it still worked afterwards

Personally mine lives in an Aquapac when on the boat because you can't hear it ring anyway with the engine at full chat so I don't need to use it and I only carry it for safety. Total cost still under £50 for a phone that is waterproof and floats
I remember that report on that Nokia - I completely forgot to look for it when I was offered an upgrade last year - never mind, you're right about the Aquapac -that'll do the job!
Old 10 January 2007, 19:51   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post

My last one got (ahem) sat on by two people in (ahem) circumstances I won't go in to and I guess an Iphone would have gone crunch in much the same way
Interesting - I know mdt on here was using an old brick (Ericson?) on his boat because it was splash proof - but I believe it is no longer available. The Nokia marketing goes to great efforts to say NOT waterproof - just splash proof.

My phone died inside a dry bag. But I hadn't done it up properly (took it out to call someone to say I was back ashore!) Then it went swimming when I was recovering the boat!
Old 11 January 2007, 15:00   #24
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Interesting - I know mdt on here was using an old brick (Ericson?) on his boat because it was splash proof - but I believe it is no longer available. The Nokia marketing goes to great efforts to say NOT waterproof - just splash proof.

My phone died inside a dry bag. But I hadn't done it up properly (took it out to call someone to say I was back ashore!) Then it went swimming when I was recovering the boat!
Ahhh but you have a bilge pump now so your phones should live now?

the Ericsson R250 Pro is a top bit of kit think i might have some kicking about if you want one ?
Old 11 January 2007, 15:09   #25

Town: Aylesbury
Whats funny now is Cisco are to sue Apple as they already trademarked the iPhone as a name and product in the 2000. Apple are fighting it. Then I get an email from apple today, something about a new TV service from apple, called appleTV not iTV!! - - they didn't dare tread there!
Old 11 January 2007, 20:02   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Ahhh but you have a bilge pump now so your phones should live now?

the Ericsson R250 Pro is a top bit of kit think i might have some kicking about if you want one ?
If you have one unlocked (or which will work on a suitable cheap sim card) I am sure we could come to an arrangement.
Old 13 January 2007, 19:52   #27

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
I have also heard that apple will be locking these phones down to stop people putting their own software on the phone, which to me, in a phone that's likely to cost hundreds is just silly. I bet that touch screen scratches quickly too

If you want a phone that plays tunes, get a smart phone with the symbian operating system - the nokia 5500 is "splash proof" as well, and that fits the bill nicely. Another option would be a Windows Mobile phone, which again are very good bits of kit.
For a phone that they advertise as being able to use the internet, it should have 3G on it.

I am not an ipod user - personally I think there is way too much hype over these products, when there are perfectly good alternatives about like the creative zen, it's just the likes of the bbc seem to plug the ipod regularly so everyone buys one. I had an argument with an aunt the other day - I told her I had an mp3 player, she said, "oh, an ipod", and she couldn't relate to an mp3 player being anything other than ipod.
This site is quite entertaining to read - http://www.idiottoys.com/2006/12/ipo...in-crisis.html - note the story here "ipod dock industry in crisis" - only two were announced last week

-Alex
Old 14 January 2007, 16:39   #28

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Doesn't the Apple phone have VoIP built in? If so, doesn't that mean that you could make unlimited calls with a data package, since the calls are going out over the internet rather than the wireless phone system...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 17:11   #29

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Doesn't the Apple phone have VoIP built in? If so, doesn't that mean that you could make unlimited calls with a data package, since the calls are going out over the internet rather than the wireless phone system...
No. I think you may be getting it confused with the Cisco iPhone.
Old 14 January 2007, 17:23   #30

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
No. I think you may be getting it confused with the Cisco iPhone.
Could be! I spend an alarming amount of my day in that state!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2007, 17:59   #31

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Dead before it starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
Apparently its not 3G, so if you download stuff it will take aaaaaaages! Cant see the point...
Just how much does Apple take their brand for granted.
This "i-phone" which as mentioned Cisco seems to have branded regardless of Apples stupidity to let them do so.
My guess is that Cisco will win hans down as that is what brandingis about.
Meanwhile, this model and level of technology is dead already. It is not a 3g model and will need to be to get in on the I-Pod. Technology of streamed video and audio. 2G is not at the races and is as dead as the original "1g" or first mobile phone.

My suggestion is that this is only a typical steve jobs promo of Apple iconism.
There are much better phons that can carry many songs out there and with 3g, they can be downloaded live and played on demand.

Too little too late. How come it has taken Steve Jobs this long to come up with the obvious....
Old 16 January 2007, 20:48   #32

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
my first phone was the size of my laptop

just thought i would share that with you

Andy
Old 16 January 2007, 21:08   #33

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
my first phone was the size of my laptop

just thought i would share that with you

Andy
And the Batteries were carried in Shoulder straps.
Seriously, didnt we think it was the berries with the First phone.
It was a Motorola I think. I was more worried about Electrocution and burning than "Ball Zapping"
Old 09 November 2007, 18:46   #34

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
I toddled along, excitedly, to Carephone Whorehouse to get my iPhone. 6.02pm. I was there.

There entire chip & pin system went down. A wasted trip.

I should have known. They are a shower of s**t, just like PC World, Currys, Dixons etc.

God only knows how they managed to persuade Apple to let them be an outlet.
Old 09 November 2007, 18:59   #35

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20 Suzuki
Old is still better

I have a old 7yr old Quelcom (not sure on spelling, and phone still in boat) but friends see me out on the lake and they come over so they can call home, there phones get no signal.
Old 09 November 2007, 19:23   #36

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
I toddled along, excitedly, to Carephone Whorehouse to get my iPhone. 6.02pm. I was there.

There entire chip & pin system went down. A wasted trip.

I should have known. They are a shower of s**t, just like PC World, Currys, Dixons etc.

God only knows how they managed to persuade Apple to let them be an outlet.
They are a bunch of total W**kers.. their customer service is shocking.. I went in to buy a charger for one of the company phones, £22.00, wouldnt let me hand over the money, made me stand and wait for 20 minutes, while they filled out a lengthy contract to enable a customers sim card, other staff walked past me all the time, but all were to busy to press a couple of buttons on a till and take my money, absolute crap ..... grr.. left me fizzing.. so I left the charger, stormed out and did what I should have done in the first place .. sorted the old one .. hmmf
Old 09 November 2007, 21:50   #37

Boat name: Ribell
Is this the phone that is only available with a new O2 contract? If so why not wait a few weeks until it is available from france, as it will not be locked to a single provider.