Old 17 February 2014, 07:16   #41

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I think we've made our decision, Selva it is on the 8th or March - booking it tonight!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 10:34   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post

Not me. You'll note the quotation marks. A classic line delivered by a Welshman attempting to buy bombardinos in Switzerland. ;-)
I had to look up "bombardinos", do you really drink those??:P:
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2014, 10:57   #43

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I had to look up "bombardinos", :P:
Me too Dave.

Mange tout Rodney, mange tout.
Old 17 February 2014, 17:33   #44

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
While in Rome......
Old 01 March 2014, 08:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I think we've made our decision, Selva it is on the 8th or March - booking it tonight!
False alarm, it seems I was a bit premature! Ended up booking a week in Kaprun going on the 8th - we booked with Thompson but the holiday is with Crystal, I'm sure it will be fine! Staying in the Kristall if anyone knows it?

First time in Kaprun has anyone got any useful knowledge they would care to pass on? Thanks
Old 01 March 2014, 09:34   #46

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
False alarm, it seems I was a bit premature! Ended up booking a week in Kaprun going on the 8th - we booked with Thompson but the holiday is with Crystal, I'm sure it will be fine! Staying in the Kristall if anyone knows it?

First time in Kaprun has anyone got any useful knowledge they would care to pass on? Thanks
Good luck with Crystal.

Also the temps in the South Tyrol have been unseasonably mild. Austrian resorts are lowish.

We were skiing in ice cream at 2000m last week.
Old 01 March 2014, 21:56   #47

RIBase
Quote:
Good luck with Crystal.

Also the temps in the South Tyrol have been unseasonably mild. Austrian resorts are lowish.

Just got back from Arraba today. Never seen as much snow, but boy was it warm. The mornings were superb, crisp, clear sunny, but by lunchtime we were in t shirts & it was getting claggy. By 4pm it was just a case of getting back to the hotel, not too bad if you picked your spots & hit the north facing runs in the afternoon, but at some point on a circular route, you gotta head south

PS Tried a Bombarwotsit, hmmmm, bit of an acquired taste
pps Looking at Selva for next year, any recommendations or avoids wrg to hotels?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 02 March 2014, 08:26   #48

Quote:
Good luck with Crystal.

Got ambushed by Thompson - no mention of switching brands until you had paid! They sent me a questionnaire and I said I wouldn't recommend them for that reason - we'll see if I get any "feedback" or not from that!

Kaprun goes pretty high to over 3,000 metres and the weather is cold there at the moment and for at least the rest of the week with more snowfall forecast - Check out the forecast! so I think we'll have a good week - we're flying from Exeter which makes the travelling fairly straightforward and a real bonus.
Old 02 March 2014, 09:35   #49

Quote:
Got ambushed by Thompson - no mention of switching brands until you had paid! They sent me a questionnaire and I said I wouldn't recommend them for that reason - we'll see if I get any "feedback" or not from that!

Kaprun goes pretty high to over 3,000 metres and the weather is cold there at the moment and for at least the rest of the week with more snowfall forecast - Check out the forecast! so I think we'll have a good week - we're flying from Exeter which makes the travelling fairly straightforward and a real bonus.
Flying from Exe is a massive bonus.

You're looking good with temps.
Old 17 March 2014, 13:40   #50

Quote:
Good luck with Crystal.

Got back on Saturday (15th March) from Kaprun, booked with Thompson/TUI but the confirmation came back saying we were travelling with Crystal who I would have avoided like the plague if I had known. The coach dropped us in front of a locked door at the hotel, no rep on board and the entrance was 100 metres up the side street, hotel staff were great and the reps when we met them were lovely, shame they were too short staffed to accompany us to the hotel. Everything went OK until we agreed to meet up at a bus stop to go to Zell am See for the day, bus was rammed and it turned out the rep had changed plans on the spur of the moment and decided not to bother after all - luckily we had a great day without them and the few issues we had with them didn't detract from the holiday.

The temperatures were through the roof for skiing and the snow was melting fast - the 1 metre in the snow reports at valley level was 100% artificial and the pistes were surrounded by green grass, they kept pretty much everything open but by lunchtime everything lower down was just slush. Luckily there is a glacier at Kaprun with excellent conditions but it was crowded, at least the queue's weren't too bad! We also had a day in Salbach which we might return to next year, the Crystal organised day finished at 3pm but it was all a bit slushy by then anyway although I could have done with a cold beer before leaving and I reckon a few could have managed a few more runs - the reps returned 20 minutes late having read us the riot act about not being late - ho hum!

It was meant to snow on Sunday a bit and it may get colder again this week but the snow isn't going to last much longer in this area unless something changes a lot!

Won't go with them again - mind you it was a surprise that I was this time!
Old 17 March 2014, 16:35   #51

RIBase
We've booked with Neilson for next year, St Christina, just outside Selva. RYA membership gets you an extra 5% discount, not to be sniffed at on a Half Term booking
Old 17 March 2014, 20:39   #52

Quote:
Crystal who I would have avoided like the plague if I had known.
My experiences with Crystal ranges from awful to overpriced OK. As a family, we go independantly these days. We've have some great family run hotel connections in Selva these days.

Mrs M was in 'Verbs' last week visiting the eldest who is a Snowboard instructor out there. She said that it was amazingly warm and Verbier is high (3300m tops). It is forecast to drop back to seasonally normal temps this week.
Old 17 March 2014, 20:49   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We've booked with Neilson for next year, St Christina, just outside Selva. RYA membership gets you an extra 5% discount, not to be sniffed at on a Half Term booking
SC is the middle village of three in the Val Gardena valley. Selva is the pick IMV because it's on the Sella Ronda and central to everything. St. Christina is only slightly off of it. Col Raiser and Seceda are above SC, they are awesome areas.Again, I'd dump the TO and go indy. Barely any half term loading that way.

Jim and I have been to the valley DIY so many times now, that it's a doddle. We'd gladly help out with planning.

We'll be there en masse in Jan '15.
Old 18 March 2014, 06:20   #54
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I've been thinking about taking the kids skiing for a while, but have always baulked at the half term prices so any more cost effective suggestions would be very helpful.

Would the Dolomites be a good choice for a first time trip with children? From a quick glance Selva seems to involve a lot of bus action. On the half a dozen or so times I've been skiing we've normally had direct access from the resort to the slopes but the occasional ski bus experience has not been great.
Old 18 March 2014, 07:50   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I've been thinking about taking the kids skiing for a while, but have always baulked at the half term prices so any more cost effective suggestions would be very helpful.

Would the Dolomites be a good choice for a first time trip with children? From a quick glance Selva seems to involve a lot of bus action. On the half a dozen or so times I've been skiing we've normally had direct access from the resort to the slopes but the occasional ski bus experience has not been great.
Nope, no buses at all unless you're in poorly located accomm.

Selva is PERFECT for kids.

The Hotel Astor, where we were last month, is 60m from nursery slopes.
Old 18 March 2014, 07:59   #56
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
My experiences with Crystal ranges from awful to overpriced OK. As a family, we go independantly these days. We've have some great family run hotel connections in Selva these days.

Mrs M was in 'Verbs' last week visiting the eldest who is a Snowboard instructor out there. She said that it was amazingly warm and Verbier is high (3300m tops). It is forecast to drop back to seasonally normal temps this week.

And a big dump up high
Old 18 March 2014, 10:09   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
And a big dump up high
Go again shall us?
Old 18 March 2014, 12:02   #58