Old 08 February 2006, 20:41   #1

Length: 6m +
Anyone fancy a bit of input for one of my essays?

It's that time again. The time when it's nearly 10 O'Clock, and I have another 2500 words to write before morning, as well as a 9am exam, and I am hideously unprepared.

So, 1500 words down, 2500 words to go on "A comparison of the roles played and effectiveness of emergency services' response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, USA, with the 1953 Storm Surge in the UK"

Why oh why did i choose emergency services? Why didn't I choose effectiveness of flood defences?
Old 08 February 2006, 21:08   #2

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
How about a paragraph on 'abandonment' ?

missus
Old 08 February 2006, 21:17   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Is it really fair to compare such things so many years apart? Communications etc have improved a little since then!!!

Having said that in the 1800s there used to be 7 posts a day in London and the mail was FAR more reliable!!!
Old 08 February 2006, 21:32   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Engine: Optimax 150
Bunk off and go out on your boat, thats what i did and look where i am today!
Old 08 February 2006, 21:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
How about a paragraph on 'abandonment' ?

missus
Ok, thanks. I have to be quite careful with things like that, so I'll wrap it up with "Good or Bad Governance"

Funnily enough, I'm listening to Virgin Radio, and they just mentioned Katrina

[QUOTE-codprawn]Is it really fair to compare such things so many years apart? Communications etc have improved a little since then!!![/QUOTE]

That's half the point - I can show that the abilities and planning from the emergency services have improved.

Interested that you highlighted communication - a crucial factor for this sort of thing, probably in fact the most vital.
Old 08 February 2006, 21:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
Bunk off and go out on your boat, thats what i did and look where i am today!
You have no idea how much I'd like to do that! I'm doing the next best thing, bunking off and spending some time on a boating forum!

Time to open the single malt methinks..
Old 08 February 2006, 21:43   #7

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Single Malt?? I wouldn't mind seeing paper written about the differences of students in 1953, and those of today..
Old 08 February 2006, 21:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
Single Malt?? I wouldn't mind seeing paper written about the differences of students in 1953, and those of today..
Benevolent friends is all I can say! 2 bottles are raffle prizes, the other 3 were all crimbo presents. I am partial to a sniff of 10 year old Isle of Jura, and having demolished the Laphroig last essay, the Jura is now taking one for the team!

2600 words down...
Old 08 February 2006, 21:48   #9

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Single Malt?

Single Malt...too right!
Just because your a student doesn't mean taste has to go out the window!

In fact, your tempting me to open a bottle of mine when I should be going to bed, in preparation for the 6am alarm....

Never mind - there's always the snooze button!

Tim.
Old 08 February 2006, 21:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim
Single Malt...too right!
Just because your a student doesn't mean taste has to go out the window!

In fact, your tempting me to open a bottle of mine when I should be going to bed, in preparation for the 6am alarm....

Never mind - there's always the snooze button!

Tim.
Go on - you know you want to! I reckon the best thing about single malt is I drink it purely for taste, so whereas with lager I feel obliged to drink at least 8, with single malt I am perfectly happy nursing 1 or 2 all evening. So, I'm drinking responsibly!

There is always the snooze button, but unless I get off my arse and start typing, I'll have to pull an all nighter!
Old 08 February 2006, 21:55   #11

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
yeh, mate.
I totally agree with you on the taste thing. I like trying lots of different malts.

On the essay thing... go on, off you go and do some work. It's only a couple of years since I left uni and I remember the dissertation finishing at about 5.30am, I was at the binders by 10 and handed in by noon!

Good luck.
Tim
Old 08 February 2006, 22:23   #12

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
21:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
So, 1500 words down, 2500 words to go
22:46
Quote:
2600 words down...
At that rate you'll be done by 12.30 - relax and have another whiskey! you've even got time to review it in the cold light of day (at the risk of it being a disappointing exercise!)
Old 08 February 2006, 22:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC
21:4122:46

At that rate you'll be done by 12.30 - relax and have another whiskey! you've even got time to review it in the cold light of day (at the risk of it being a disappointing exercise!)
Too late. Just "reviewed it", re-read the title, deleted all the rubbish that had nothing to do with it, and we're only just back up to 2557! Cold light of day is good idea, but I have to fit that in around revising for this exam tomorrow as well!

Now, single malt whiskey aside, I'm sure the "older" generation can't have had it that much harder? Huge financial pressures, being forced to generate more work so that government targets are reached by the university, juggling study, work, and social lives like a mad thing, and trying to find time to go ribbing/sailing?

Ah, I remember now. The older generation didn't have ribbing to worry about as students!
Old 08 February 2006, 22:36   #14

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
I'll have to pull an all nighter!
Ah.... I remember being a student in Pompey.

But 'pulling an all nighter' was something you did if you were lucky on cheap night at one of the clubs down by the pier.

Nasher
Old 08 February 2006, 22:39   #15
ADS

Town: Dorset
"A comparison of the roles played and effectiveness of emergency services' response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, USA, with the 1953 Storm Surge in the UK"

I am doing geography and after a few pints and a quick look at the question I would think they are looking for the following, but you have probably covered these:

-Effectiveness of emergency services suggest detailing number of lives lost etc and infrastructure in place. Can compare and contrast improvement over the time span.

- Developments in Natural hazard monitoring tech - in 2005 could they give more warning because they had been monitoring the hazard, (plate boundaries in the case of earth quakes).

-Attitudes / importance of natural hazard planning in the U.K and America

-transportation links, communication links etc

Might think of a few more in a minute....

- strategies taken, was there any infrastructure/ planning in place in the event of flooding, storm surge in 1953, I don't know because I havent read up but I assume you have.

Has the events in 1953 contributed or triggered developments in emergency planning.
Old 08 February 2006, 22:45   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
"A comparison of the roles played and effectiveness of emergency services' response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005, USA, with the 1953 Storm Surge in the UK"

I am doing geography and after a few pints and a quick look at the question I would think they are looking for the following, but you have probably covered these:

-Effectiveness of emergency services suggest detailing number of lives lost etc and infrastructure in place. Can compare and contrast improvement over the time span.

- Developments in Natural hazard monitoring tech - in 2005 could they give more warning because they had been monitoring the hazard, (plate boundaries in the case of earth quakes).

-Attitudes / importance of natural hazard planning in the U.K and America

-transportation links, communication links etc

Might think of a few more in a minute....

- strategies taken, was there any infrastructure/ planning in place in the event of flooding, storm surge in 1953, I don't know because I havent read up but I assume you have.

Has the events in 1953 contributed or triggered developments in emergency planning.
ADS, cool. I'd got a lot of that, but you've given me some nice areas to think about, and also worded your headings a lot better than some of mine!

(P.S. - i wrote the question . He's after whatever I give him.)
Old 08 February 2006, 22:46   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Ah.... I remember being a student in Pompey.

But 'pulling an all nighter' was something you did if you were lucky on cheap night at one of the clubs down by the pier.

Nasher
Nash, ROTFLMAO!
Old 08 February 2006, 22:46   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I don't know anything about the UK storm - did we deploy the Army? If so were we more ready to do so because our military were better staffed (National Service, post war etc - than cost cutting, Iraq/Afganistan etc) or is the modern army better suited to non fighting roles.

How about the role of the Media in the response to the disasters - both in terms of scrutinising / political pressure and in terms of generating public support? Its impossible today to cock up without the whole world knowing? And everyone expects everything faster in todays 24/7 society.
Old 08 February 2006, 22:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
I don't know anything about the UK storm - did we deploy the Army? If so were we more ready to do so because our military were better staffed (National Service, post war etc - than cost cutting, Iraq/Afganistan etc) or is the modern army better suited to non fighting roles.

How about the role of the Media in the response to the disasters - both in terms of scrutinising / political pressure and in terms of generating public support? Its impossible today to cock up without the whole world knowing? And everyone expects everything faster in todays 24/7 society.
Yes, we did use the Army - however not to the extent the US used their Army after Katrina. (Note - Both Bangladesh and Cuba offered the US aid after katrina )

Media is good one - a little outside my scope, but can put it in under governance and accountability. Media is another essay on it's own.
Old 08 February 2006, 22:51   #20

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Jimbo

Remember I'm an old git now, and its too late to figure out what ROTFLMAO means?

I expect my advise about where to get some 'herbal' help to stay up all night will be a bit out of date, sorry.

Nasher.