Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Any photographers /birders etc?

As above, any advice /assitance appreciated!

looking to get a spotting scope for Birding /Dolphs etc and had been told you could buy a universal attachment to attach a digi camera to some.....I'm no photographer, and the idea appealed to me.....has anyone any experience /know where i could source one /read up on them?

Thankfully our photogrtapher clients are often generous enough to allow us to use their images, but would be good to be able to get shots when we don't have them along / also for photo ID etc.

Struggling with google search. However, did find this on Ebay US.....cheapety cheap IMO http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUSHNELL-15-45...item2c5a501c99

Again, any thoughts on its suitability appreciated......We have a few Bushnell Bins and they are great.....any ideas if these are available in UK?

Many thanks, Dan

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2011, 14:16   #2

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
I doubt the image quality is going to be that good.

Lots of money but I'd have thought a digital SLR with a zoom lense would be better for long range shots. It's quite tricky to take a decent shot when you're zoomed in and bobbing around, specially with a moving target. With a decent SLR you can benefit from image stabilization etc plus you get a high quality image which you can blow up when you get home
Old 30 January 2011, 16:08   #3

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I doubt the image quality is going to be that good.

Lots of money but I'd have thought a digital SLR with a zoom lense would be better for long range shots. It's quite tricky to take a decent shot when you're zoomed in and bobbing around, specially with a moving target. With a decent SLR you can benefit from image stabilization etc plus you get a high quality image which you can blow up when you get home
Cheers Martini,

TBH want to have a scope aboard for clients to use, but if we get sightings, the camera would be great for recording purposes /photo ID etc.

I think a decent SLR etc will be 'too good' for passing around etc....but you are def right about it being the better choice.

Any others used one of these scope /camera set ups?

Old 30 January 2011, 17:02   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I agree with Martini, using a scope onboard is going to be pretty tricky without a stable base, which really isn't possible on a boat. Even worse trying to take a photograph due to exposure times. Good binoculars would be far better than a scope for punters to use too and somewhat cheaper.

It is possible to get adapators for mounting SLR's or point and shoot cameras onto scopes, but without high quality optics and a dedicated setup, the photos are not going to be that good. The problem mainly revolves around limited aperture resulting in long exposures which are then prone to blur.

Might be worth having a chat with a camera shop that also does telescopes as they'll know what you can get. SLR's usually use T2 mounts for attachong to microscopes or telescopes, but you can get clamps for pocket cameras which will be maybe worth a play. Jessops used to sell fairly cheap adaptors.

this kind of thing for slr
more expensive point and shoot option
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2011, 17:41   #5

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Without doubt the best optics to use aboard are image stabilising binoculars such as the Cannon 10x42s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Image-...412654&sr=8-10

I own a pair of Leica 10x42s and in the last two weeks have tried them against the Swarovski and Cannon IS. The Swarovskis were brightest, but the added benefits of IS meant the Cannons had the best acuity.
Old 31 January 2011, 20:27   #6

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
http://www.digiscoping.co.uk/

Hi Dan, what you are after is pretty commonly done. Granted you will not get any where near the same quality as using a dedicated DSLR but you can get pretty close. The quality will certainly be usable for a web site or for small prints. Of course this is all dependent upon getting a clear shot in the first place and I would be very doubtful of you ever managing this from a boat. Small aperture and high magnification really need a very stable platform before you can have consistent success. There are more details on the above web site, might be worth having a look there.

Old 01 February 2011, 08:43   #7

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Without doubt the best optics to use aboard are image stabilising binoculars such as the Cannon 10x42s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Image-...412654&sr=8-10

I own a pair of Leica 10x42s and in the last two weeks have tried them against the Swarovski and Cannon IS. The Swarovskis were brightest, but the added benefits of IS meant the Cannons had the best acuity.
[cough] how much?

I have a pair of binos in each vehicle (3) one on the boat and one in the house I think those could be a bit expensive to scatter around

FWIW I have a Fuji HS10 which has a 720mm zoom and image stab and it's pretty good on the boat - previous cameras without IS were not that great and my experience of compact cameras is that on anything other than a really bright day half the photos were blurry due to movement, the small lens size drags the shutter speed down I think as the camera work perfectly well on land. The Fuji is great for distance shots of just about anything (quite a bit of wildlife here, though I am not an avid birder I do take quite a few) and the price is reasonable - I looked at an SLR but to get that zoom range you're into four figures and that is too much money to bang around in a vehicle or boat.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2011, 15:34   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Dan - I don't know if this is a stupid suggestion but is it possible to set something up with a scope / zoom lens which then displays on a large screen on your console? (some chart plotters have a video feed - but obviously depends if its in a sensible place for punters and needed to make sure you don't hit anything at that point). The reason I ask I that usually with bins I find myself saying - can you see the brown bird, just to the left of the wave which is in line with the big tree on the horizon etc... ...a screen that everyone can see would overcome this.
Old 01 February 2011, 17:31   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Dan - I don't know if this is a stupid suggestion but is it possible to set something up with a scope / zoom lens which then displays on a large screen on your console?
That would be great wouldn't it.....wonder how that could work.....you've got me thinking

GJ0KYZ - really nice kit, but unfortuantely much too expensive to pass around etc....after writing this, have just read Bog monsters response [cough]

Erin, take your point re keeping the image steady etc....however, a client brought a scope out last year and tbh wasn't too bad when held in hand....admittedly, probably wasn't massively powerful in terms of zoom....

Siochair - many thanks for the linky....haven't read yet...will sit down later.

Thanks all

Dan.

Old 01 February 2011, 18:29   #10

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Get down to Cardigan ALDI on Thursday:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-01-31-13-38

Old 01 February 2011, 18:53   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Get down to Cardigan ALDI on Thursday:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-01-31-13-38

Old 01 February 2011, 19:37   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
can you see the brown bird, just to the left of the wave which is in line with the big tree on the horizon etc...
We found all that birdy stuff a bit slow. There was endless confusion about seabills, janets, fulminators and Fkks, no, Shags and many unfortunate birds got minced in the ensuing delays before adjusting the heading...

I now insist on the willk Simplex Classification System

1. Seagulls - all white birds observed while at sea
2. Ducks - all brown birds observed while at sea
3. Penguins - all blackish birds observed while at sea

Works a treat
Old 02 February 2011, 15:38   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I now insist on the willk Simplex Classification System

1. Seagulls - all white birds observed while at sea
2. Ducks - all brown birds observed while at sea
3. Penguins - all blackish birds observed while at sea

Works a treat
Hmmm. Have to forward that to my local bird guy. Should simplify his life...

jky