Old 23 March 2006, 06:01   #51

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel
So what. With the tax, duty and VAT she has paid on that vehicle I think she has bought the right to do so. She is certainly adding to the tax revenue of the country and therefore if you believe our leaders making this country a better place to live. Do you think that all of us on this forum running our 'fuel efficient' and envirmonetaly conscious outboards can really preach from a position of strength?
I dont deny her right to drive it. What I do object to is the space on the road it takes up driving down the street (bear in mind the narrow car-lined streets in southsea), the huge turning circle required when the roads are jammed with all the other school run cars, the air pollution put out from it, & the fact that if she does hit another car / pedestrian, they will be crushed due to the tank like nature of the vehicle.

Ricky

thorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2006, 06:22   #52

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
wonder when they will start taxing farts - especially when i have been for a curry..

Old 23 March 2006, 06:30   #53

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I enjoy my 4x4, and the extra each year to tax it is not going to put me off.
Particularly when you consider itís only about the cost of Ĺ a tank of Diesel.

I do actually think itís fair that if I choose to drive a vehicle that pollutes more I should pay the extra tax, just as Iíve chosen to pay extra to buy it in the first place. OK its unfortunate that its specified as 251 g/Km, but have made the choice and I stick by it. Iím even still hoping to move up to an Amazon later this year.

Perhaps itís my indulgence to make up for all the other ĎGreení stuff I do, like being over the top with recycling etc. And if anyone thinks thatís hypocritical, donít bother telling me because Iím not listening.

Apart from anything else, itís still cheaper for me to store my 6.25M Ocean away from the water, and tow it there myself, than pay marina or boatyard storage costs.

Nasher.
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2006, 06:33   #54

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
All I am saying is what a daft species we are when we go and spend 50 grand on a monster 4x4 to take the kids to school.
Agree Andy, particularly when it's done to 'keep up with the Joneses' and sod all to do with that worn out and spurious argument about safety. In the case of the Chelsea tractor brigade, it's nothing more than an image thing, period. And yes, by running a 4.4 ltr V8 Range Rover, 5ltr V8 TVR, V-Twin Ducati and 2/4-stroke outboards I'm an environmental disaster zone, but at least I admit it and accept other people's objections to the fact
Old 23 March 2006, 07:32   #55

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davies
.....sod all to do with that worn out and spurious argument about safety.

I suggest you visit a car breakers and view the carnage caused by road accidents. Take particular note of the dried blood puddles.

Quote:
And yes, by running a 4.4 ltr V8 Range Rover, 5ltr V8 TVR, V-Twin Ducati and 2/4-stroke outboards I'm an environmental disaster zone, but at least I admit it and accept other people's objections to the fact
How very righteous of you.
Old 23 March 2006, 07:44   #56

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
How very righteous of you.
Yes, I thought so
Old 23 March 2006, 08:20   #57

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorper
I dont deny her right to drive it. What I do object to is the space on the road it takes up driving down the street (bear in mind the narrow car-lined streets in southsea), the huge turning circle required when the roads are jammed with all the other school run cars, the air pollution put out from it, & the fact that if she does hit another car / pedestrian, they will be crushed due to the tank like nature of the vehicle.

Ricky
I object FAR more to the number of EMPTY buses on the road - only able to run because of huge subsidies we have to pay - the extra pollution they put out - the creation of special lanes for them which adds to congestion - and if THEY hit you it is far worse than ANY 4x4!!!
Old 23 March 2006, 08:29   #58

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
i don,t care drive what i want

4x4 are the best

any way my defender TD5 will go 100 more mile per Tank than the L200 i had before so i am now a greenie saving the world

Dan
Old 23 March 2006, 18:18   #59

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Freelanders and CRVs etc are not real 4x4s in my opinion - they are CARS - alright maybe they have drive to other wheels at times but they weigh the same as cars - they drive like cars - and they offroad like cars!!!
Nothing wrong with a CRV Codders. The wifes is 4 years old, no squeeks or rattles, huge volume, takes all our scuba gear, gets us out the village in the winter & has managed to tow the boat - just don't trust it on a slipway. Hence the hunt for a Disco. Nice of Brown to cut my income a bit more though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Also people assume that big engines are worse than small ones - not always the case - a subaru 2lL uses far more fuel than a TVR 4L - not on paper but in real life!!!
Depends how you drive it! I can get 36 out of my Saab on a good run & hit 16mpg when I'm eating 911's for breakfast. Depends who's driving - Jeckal or Hyde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel
The problem I see is that we are constantly being told how to live our lives and how to make decisions, this is not what makes a country great....
Quite agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
I enjoy my 4x4, and the extra each year to tax it is not going to put me off.
Exactly - 'Two faced Tone' & 'Read the small print Brown' have no interest in environmental issues. They've raised some more tax. Not enough to stop us buying & driving 4x4's but enough to help pay their pensions & help fill the black hole. Not going to say any more or I'll be into politics. Still - it will be a bit more next year in the name of saving the planet, and again the year after. Bit like adding 9p on fags each year to help your lungs - not that I smoke - but you can see where this new tax increase is going to go.
Old 23 March 2006, 18:57   #60

Town: Fareham
For my pennys worth I think anyone has the right to drive anything they dam well want to! If you got the money that's great!

I firmly think that the Government are using issues like the anti-4x4 lobby and such like as an excuse to squeeze more money out of everybody and blaming it on enviromental issues.

Most 4x4's don't take up any more room than a full sized MPV or tranny van or even a large estate or saloon car.

They'll be charging everyone extra tax if ya got a Tow bar or roof box next.

Who voted these T**Ts in anyway......Bring back Boom and Bust .

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote