RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Of course people can be fools, as in anything and no one can legislate for that.
Actually you potentially can! Fines for marine related stupid incidents are fairly significant, in many cases existing legislation (national or local byelaws) are enough for many of the things that upset people. It's just rather unusual to see prosecutions. Some high profile cases might be a better deterrent for the incompetent than passing a test.
Old 13 October 2014, 19:52   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
My take is this. Government has consistently proved that any attempt at regulation of anything is going to be bloody expensive,unworkably beaurocratic and inefficient.

You'll never hear me argue against training. However, you'll always hear me argue against government becoming involved in boating.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 20:24   #23

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Actually you potentially can! Fines for marine related stupid incidents are fairly significant, in many cases existing legislation (national or local byelaws) are enough for many of the things that upset people. It's just rather unusual to see prosecutions. Some high profile cases might be a better deterrent for the incompetent than passing a test.
And that works so well with the bans on top of bans on top of bans for those repeatedly driving whilst disqualified.

Anyway we are not going to change each others minds
Old 13 October 2014, 21:10   #24
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
And that works so well with the bans on top of bans on top of bans for those repeatedly driving whilst disqualified.
Sounds like an argument why licensing doesn't work to me

I was thinking more like this: £100,000 fine for tanker-crash yachtsman | Pbo
Old 13 October 2014, 21:14   #25
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
As any teacher/instructor will tell you only via testing (which can take many forms) can he/she know if the lessons taught have been understood and the abilities taught have been learnt.

The evidence of this is usually in the form of a certificate (in our case PB2 being the de facto) which is already practical as is done on a daily basis. The fact that a standard skill level which is accepted as a base is helpful as everyone understand what is required.
Of course people can be fools, as in anything and no one can legislate for that.
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with making training mandatory though?
Old 13 October 2014, 21:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Sounds like an argument why licensing doesn't work to me

I was thinking more like this: £100,000 fine for tanker-crash yachtsman | Pbo
"Royal Navy lieutenant Roland Wilson" think he may be certified in some way hardly your average rib user.
Old 13 October 2014, 21:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with making training mandatory though?
Training or licencing?

My point is that is we are saying when you buy your first boat we all think its a good idea to do a pb2(which i think we all do). Then you already have a "licence" just one that's not mandatory, however we all think its a good idea to do the training that leads to a cert/licence so what the difference between us saying "get your first boat, do the training" and someone else (CG, local authority,RYA, Superman or the brothers grim) saying, you must do it?
Old 13 October 2014, 21:33   #28
Administrator

The main difference is that mandatory training would be unenforceable without a massive investment in resources and at the same time wouldn't bring any significant benefit. But I think that's been said before.

Would you make first aid, sea survival and VHF mandatory too? If not, why not?
Old 13 October 2014, 21:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
The main difference is that mandatory training would be unenforceable without a massive investment in resources and at the same time wouldn't bring any significant benefit. But I think that's been said before.

Would you make first aid, sea survival and VHF mandatory too? If not, why not?
VHF i think you will find is?
First aid, is it required for a driving test?
Sea survival, for a sib no, fresh water No, maybe a something like the Cat B/C boat requirements x miles from safe harbour?

As i have said before on other threads when asked the same question, just because something is not easy is not a reason for not doing the right thing.

I am not saying i have all the answers, but having pulled bodies out of the water on several occasions, anything that can prevent even one of these occurrences is a good thing. as to cost, how much is a member of your family worth?
Old 13 October 2014, 21:46   #30

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Bit of thread drift but to me its the same with horse owners some muppet will go and buy a horse have no idea how to ride etc with a potential killer in there hands so how you going to legislate against that
Old 13 October 2014, 21:50   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Bit of thread drift but to me its the same with horse owners some muppet will go and buy a horse have no idea how to ride etc with a potential killer in there hands so how you going to legislate against that
Not a rib try here
Old 13 October 2014, 21:57   #32

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Not a rib try here
don't need to been round horses for 45 years now folk need to get out into the real world instead of sitting in offices making silly rules
Old 13 October 2014, 22:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
don't need to been round horses for 45 years now folk need to get out into the real world instead of sitting in offices making silly rules
Never use for transport anything that has a mind of its own I say.
Old 14 October 2014, 07:54   #34
Administrator

Quote:
VHF i think you will find is?
No, there's no requirement to even have a VHF. You certainly don't need a VHF certificate to use a boat

Quote:
First aid, is it required for a driving test?
What's a driving test got to do with it? I thought you were proposing laws to make boating safer?

Quote:
Sea survival, for a sib no, fresh water No, maybe a something like the Cat B/C boat requirements x miles from safe harbour?
So would you make it illegal to do a cross channel trip in a RIB without a sea survival certificate?

Quote:
As i have said before on other threads when asked the same question, just because something is not easy is not a reason for not doing the right thing.
Absolutely. But a sense of proportion is always helpful in deciding whether that thing is actually right.

Quote:
I am not saying i have all the answers, but having pulled bodies out of the water on several occasions, anything that can prevent even one of these occurrences is a good thing. as to cost, how much is a member of your family worth?
The "if it saves one life" argument is fatuous and uses emotion to bypass logic. It just doesn't stack up.

It seems like your experience is very different to most people's. Maybe that gives you a different perspective on things. How have you ended up retrieving dead bodies so many times anyway? Do you work for one of the rescue services, or have you just been in the wrong place at the wrong time? It seems incredibly unlucky!
Old 14 October 2014, 08:04   #35

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I didn't read all the posts, I can see two good reasons that for me would be a no vote, it would undoubtably cost us more money to have fun and less privacy
Old 14 October 2014, 08:50   #36

Quote:
No, there's no requirement to even have a VHF. You certainly don't need a VHF certificate to use a boat
Sorry John but you are splitting hairs here. from Ofcom Website

"What operator certificate do I need?
You must hold at least the Short Range Certificate to use hand held VHF DSC, just like any VHF DSC radio."

"Licensing ensures that radio equipment used on board ships does not cause undue interference to other communications equipment and is operated by competent persons.
Failure to hold a valid licence is a criminal offence and Ofcom's enforcement team can impose on-the-spot fines. The maximum penalty on conviction is a £5,000 fine and/or a six month prison sentence. Those convicted may also be ordered to forfeit any radio apparatus used illegally."

Quote:
What's a driving test got to do with it? I thought you were proposing laws to make boating safer?
Hey, you brought up first aid Certs, why do YOU think its needed. I was just pointing out that they are not required for the operation of a motor vehicle.

Quote:
So would you make it illegal to do a cross channel trip in a RIB without a sea survival certificate?
Again a principal you brought up, I hadn't even considered sea survival course, if you want a sea survival course mandatory, fine I was suggesting if they were to be incorporated then yes something like that may make sense. However I have only ever mentioned a PB2 type level cert, you brought in all the extra stuff.

if you want to drag extra requirements into the discussion, please do so but don't expect me to justify your thoughts.

Quote:
The "if it saves one life" argument is fatuous and uses emotion to bypass logic. It just doesn't stack up.
Lets go fully anarchic then.....

Quote:
It seems like your experience is very different to most people's. Maybe that gives you a different perspective on things. How have you ended up retrieving dead bodies so many times anyway? Do you work for one of the rescue services, or have you just been in the wrong place at the wrong time? It seems incredibly unlucky!
I have spent much of my early working life on boats and by on boats i mean 8 hrs a day on small boats all over the world. I have been part of nominated UK CG resource and have worked with in the US with a NY Marine Unit, and in the Indian Ocean on ships been the nominated Rescue Boat driver.

Yes I have been unlucky in some respects but have had the chance to improve many peoples seamanship skills and knowledge too. So I hope it all balances out.
Old 14 October 2014, 09:11   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Hey, you brought up first aid Certs, why do YOU think its needed. I was just pointing out that they are not required for the operation of a motor vehicle.

Again a principal you brought up, I hadn't even considered sea survival course, if you want a sea survival course mandatory, fine I was suggesting if they were to be incorporated then yes something like that may make sense. However I have only ever mentioned a PB2 type level cert, you brought in all the extra stuff.
I don't think that any of these need to be mandatory.

You're proposing making it illegal to use a RIB without having an RYA level 2 type qualification because you believe it would make things safer. The reason I was asking about other qualifications was because I was curious to know whether you thought they have a similar bearing on safety. You're the one making the proposal, I was just asking your opinion.

So from your response you would make Powerboat level 2 a legal requirement, but not VHF, first aid, or sea survival. They are all useful and could save lives, so why don't you want to make them all compulsory?
Old 14 October 2014, 09:11   #38

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Another yes or no question: this time on tests for powerboaters

Quote:
Sorry John but you are splitting hairs here. from Ofcom Website

"What operator certificate do I need?

You must hold at least the Short Range Certificate to use hand held VHF DSC, just like any VHF DSC radio."

"Licensing ensures that radio equipment used on board ships does not cause undue interference to other communications equipment and is operated by competent persons.

Failure to hold a valid licence is a criminal offence and Ofcom's enforcement team can impose on-the-spot fines. The maximum penalty on conviction is a £5,000 fine and/or a six month prison sentence. Those convicted may also be ordered to forfeit any radio apparatus used illegally."

That's not what JK said

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2014, 10:53   #39
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That's not what JK said
don't let details like that get in the way of the argument!

Quote:
...on small boats all over the world... I have been part of nominated UK CG resource and have worked with in the US with a NY Marine Unit, and in the Indian Ocean on ships been the nominated Rescue Boat driver...
So is your basis for the earlier assertion that lots of inexperienced people find themselves in challenging conditions needing assistance actually based on the UK (we've already established that most of them weren't in power boats!). Did you really see a better standard of seamanship in the countries where licensing is in place?
Old 14 October 2014, 11:20   #40

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I think the petty bickering and sniping as seen above, highlights why the Ribnet credibility post is relevant.