Click Here to Login

Old 18 March 2008, 17:41   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Annoying Silent Phone Calls

You know those calls where you go to pick up the phone and the line is dead, and its a telemarketing call, of some sort, but you dont know who it was ?, well I googled a number the other day and found this site

http://whocallsme.com/

Which tells you who the owner of the number was. I know its a dot com site so may not be of massive use, but it certainly found the 2 uk numbers I entered into it, one of which was Norton bloody Finance !! You can block calls using TPS, but if you've made an initial approach to one of these companies, I'm not sure TPS works.

Next question, I get pestered stupid by a company I've never used at work, and I need to take extreme action to stop them calling me, as no amount of words or hanging up, or threats of action on my part makes them stop, anyone got any ideas?
Old 18 March 2008, 18:08   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Transfer them through to me - I will guarantee they will never come back!!!

i remember we had the jehovah's witness lot around once - I think they thought I was the antichrist - they have never been back..................
Old 19 March 2008, 00:35   #3

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
It seems to be a problem that gets worse by the day . I get even more now since advertising with yell.com as well as yellow pages .

Problem is most of the calls are from private or witheld numbers , and they are clever when you answer not to disclose their real reason for calling . i have to listen at first just incase it is a customer . Iam getting much less patient than I used to be with them . i used to feel that its just some poor sod doing their job so be polite but not any more . if you work as a cold caller in sales then you are a sad git .
Old 19 March 2008, 01:41   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Have you had Eon (weren't they N-Power before?) cold calling on your doorstep yet? They've been round here 5 times in 3 weeks claiming they weren't trying to sell me something.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2008, 07:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
It seems to be a problem that gets worse by the day . I get even more now since advertising with yell.com as well as yellow pages .

Problem is most of the calls are from private or witheld numbers , and they are clever when you answer not to disclose their real reason for calling . i have to listen at first just incase it is a customer . Iam getting much less patient than I used to be with them . i used to feel that its just some poor sod doing their job so be polite but not any more . if you work as a cold caller in sales then you are a sad git .
And it drives me nuts, if I'm lying under a machine, the phone goes, you bump your head on the way out from under it, you get there and it's the same mobile fookin phone company that you told to p*ss off last week!! Well the real annoying one that I get is from a debt collection company trying to sell their services called 'Trans National'

Of course you can have anonymous caller rejection set up to remove 50% of the spam callers, but thats fine at home, but at work it would be financial suicide as many customers use withheld numbers
Old 20 March 2008, 10:08   #6

Success .. BT have a new service called 'Silent Call Guard' which is virtually free and stops virtually all computer generated calls being received on the number you register ..... I cant believe it !! BT has won the day.. when was the last time you heard anyone say that I gave them the spam numbers that keep calling and BT identified them as computer generated sales call lines. They say there is another service available too, which is 100% effective, both of which are fairly recent additions to their services
Old 27 March 2008, 14:09   #7

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
Computer calls were a factor in my divorce 7 years ago. We had a lot of other problems as well but my ex thought that the silence on the other end was a nonexistent girlfriend calling. It was nearly the last nail in the coffin. At that point she wasn't listening to me so explaining that they were calls generated by a computer making multiple calls for a telemarketer on the other end was like singing to a pig.