Old 09 February 2008, 02:14   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Amazing handwarmers

I read about a weird type of hot pack years ago. Basically it is a special gel that is cool to the touch. You felx a simple little metal disc inside - it pops and the gel suddenly gets hot - to recharge you stick it in boiling water for 15 mins. You can leave it as long as you like - pop the disc and instant heat!!! It really is incredible to see - like black magic in action.

Never seen them on sale before - found them in my local Tesco - £1.97 for a pair just the right size to slip inside a glove or pocket. Could even save you from frostbite on the boat. Tried them straight out of the shop - they are already precharged.

another brilliant bargain was a £1 knife sharpener. It looks like a knuckle duster and has grooves for knives or scissors. I have had similar things before but this one actually worked - brilliantly.

http://www.warmitup.co.uk/

These are similar - do all sorts of sizes - the bodywarmer etc could be great for treating people with hypothermia.
Old 09 February 2008, 02:20   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've had loads of those handwarmers. They don't last long (it's often the only time they work when you try them after buying) and tend to fail right when you need them.

The zippo or charcoal handwarmers are the best-but I'll soon have an old set of heated grips from a bike with a 12v socket on them. You can't hold them for long without gloves.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2008, 16:12   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I used to carry them when I dove wet. They were a little dearer than yours are - I think I was paying $4.95 US per piece.

I found an initial failure rate of about 25% within two uses (boiling them would not reset them to the liquid "ready" state), and about 50% within about a dozen uses.

I know they can be a valuable tool (expecially with wetsuit-clad divers in 50 degree water), but they seem to be more a PITA than anything else.

jky