Old 26 September 2011, 03:09   #11

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
I've found Apple to be very fair with the iPhone. They have replaced 2 without any questions being asked including one which had been dropped into the sea at th slipway. Evidently salt-water did not affect the tablets they have built into them :hide

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007

Old 26 September 2011, 03:35   #12

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
I've found Apple Care support and support from in-store to be 1st class. Every (minor) question I've had has been handled really well

Old 26 September 2011, 04:04   #13
MAW

Town: West Wight
Length: no boat
Tethering for wi fi only iPads.... tethering to iPhone 4 allows use of the GPS data. I am not sure if that works with iPhone 3 as I haven't tried it. I have a wi fi 16Gb, it has Imray charts, and works perfectly, tethered.
Old 26 September 2011, 05:41   #14

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Orca
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 15hp
Send a message via MSN to Black
iPad 2

I run an 3G, 16GB iPad 2 for work, and a 32gb iphone 4.

The ipad has a PAYG data card from THREE mobile, I spend most of my time working in central London and went for this, as it is reputed to have the best access in London. That said, on holiday in Cornwall this year, it had better reception than the other ipads in our group on vodafone. I'm really pleased with the performance, as Peter says if you want to stream the BBC, forget it, but for all other things its great.

I go for the 10 a month for a gb of data, so far, and I've had it 3 months, I haven't used above the data limit in each month.

In terms of data storage, I have all my work files synced via dropbox, which is limited to 1gb in the dropbox settings, I've also got Pages, Number, and keynote which are fantastic for meetings. I don't think I'll get anywhere near the 16gb limit of the ipad.

just my thoughts - but go for it, you'll wonder how you existed without after a while
Old 26 September 2011, 05:47   #15

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
I use a 3G Samsung Tablet, superb 7" screen, and has the benefit of being a superb phone as well. I have a PAYG sim from Giff-Gaff, which I believe uses the O2 network.
Old 26 September 2011, 06:28   #16

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Apple fan here through and through. My advice is go for the cheapest i.e. 16gb wifi only. Rational being that even 64 gb is not big enough as a laptop replacement and 16 is big enough for all the apps you need and the rotation of music/video/photos you might need to carry around. Music is much more convenient on an iPhone or iPod anyway.
My 16gb has 1200 photos, 3 full length movies, some other video and a small selection of music + 143 apps and still nearly 2gb spare space.
If you need 3G tether your phone to it and if you need a realistic amount of space for all your stuff get one of these:
Seagate Satellite
GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate
Old 26 September 2011, 06:33   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Apple fan here through and through. My advice is go for the cheapest i.e. 16gb wifi only. Rational being that even 64 gb is not big enough as a laptop replacement and 16 is big enough for all the apps you need and the rotation of music/video/photos you might need to carry around. Music is much more convenient on an iPhone or iPod anyway.
My 16gb has 1200 photos, 3 full length movies, some other video and a small selection of music + 143 apps and still nearly 2gb spare space.
If you need 3G tether your phone to it and if you need a realistic amount of space for all your stuff get one of these:
Seagate Satellite
GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate
Cheers for everyones thoughts and updates, regarding your 16gb what length HD film have you stored. I anticipate Vids from boats being store or downloaded to make you tube sections then copied to external drive unit for storage. I can see the Apple system seems strong for video formatting
Old 26 September 2011, 06:54   #18

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Forgot to say earlier when mentioning that an iPad is a great replacement for a laptop that you do still in fact *need* a laptop/desktop with an iPad just as you do with an iPod to set up itunes/rip CD's/store and sync everything...

This should/may all change in the next gen and even to some extent with the 'cloud' (IOS5) coming soon when hopefully the newer iPads/Touch's etc finally become completely independant.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/
Old 26 September 2011, 08:16   #19

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
I don't use an of the movie editing software as I think the camera quality is poor at best. I still use a HD camera and edit them on the desktop via power director which is very good.

We looked at the others such as samsung but they are nowhere near an iPad

Looking forward to my next upgrade.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 04 October 2011, 16:12   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Having had three iPhones in the family, and myself now having moved over to Android I warn you that Apple no longer has the world in its hands.

The biggest benefit with Android is the choice of hardware, with Apple you are limited to one device whereas there are nearly a hundred running Android, and several tablets now, giving a much greater choice.

Apple has been playing catchup to Android since it was released, obviously 20% of iPhone users have been forced to jailbreak their devices in order to try and match the functionality of Android, however in pure hardware terms, even the iPhone 4S announced this evening cannot get anywhere near the standard of the high end Android devices.