Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 July 2013, 15:18   #1
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Advice needed

Lo all,

I recently needed a new light board to go with my nice new tow car. I fancied LED lights since my old board used to chew lightbulbs like it was going out of fashion. Remembering the discussion on here about the difficulties caused by the very low draw from LED lights I figured I'd buy a ready made board and assumed that the suppliers would have added the necessary capacitors and what not to make it all work. So I went onto a trailer bit website which I had previously done business with and forked over by credit card number in return for said lightboard. I checked the site thoroughly and there was no warning about the possibility of the board not working with certain makes of car.

So the board arrives, and I plug it into my nice new Exeo estate, and the indicators flash once per turn, the brake lights flicker constantly. So I e-mail the seller and he immediately says it's because of my type of car and invites me to purchase some sort of thingy that I can wire in to make the problem go away. "No ta" says I, "if I was any good with sparks I'd have built a board myself." and anyway I'm off the Wales this weekend and I need a board.So I went off to Halfords and bought one. I packaged the original one up in the protective cardboard it arrived in ( 2 bits protecting the lamps and another one round each), added some bubble wrap of my own for good measure and sent it back by courier (Citylink).

Now the seller is saying that the board has been returned in an unsaleable condition:
"Unfortunately, the lighting board is damaged. It appears to have had another lamp unit fixed to it, removed, leaving an outline and a hole in the lighting board. There are several other pin holes between the lamp units. One end cap is missing. This lighting board is not as we supplied it and is not in a resalable condition. We are, therefore, unable to refund."

Now the endcap wasn't actually secured, and fell off whilst I was unwrapping it. I put it back on but I ca imagine if the packaging got damaged it might go AWOL. But I definitely didn't attach or removed anything from the board.

Where do I stand here? He's supplied an item that is not fit for purpose as far as I can see. But now that he's alleging damage it's all a bit up in the air. If it had been obviously damaged when it arrived then I'd have had to refuse the delivery, but if the damage wasn't evident until the packaging was removed then I'd still feel within my right to return it. So now that it's the other way around I've no way of proving it wasn't damaged before I sent it.

How am I going to get on trying to recover the cash from my credit card company? They insure internet purchases don't they?

I don't mind telling you, I'm feckin livid!!
__________________

__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 15:48   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
How am I going to get on trying to recover the cash from my credit card company? They insure internet purchases don't they?
If it as credit card not debit card then you are covered - just call them up, tell them your returned the goods as defective and have not received a refund - they will deal with it.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 16:59   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,251
You don't need the goods to be defective. You have 14 days under the distance selling regulations.

You may only have insurance for items over 100. But for less than 100 you should still get the money back from the card company.
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 17:14   #4
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,270
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
You don't need the goods to be defective. You have 14 days under the distance selling regulations.

You may only have insurance for items over 100. But for less than 100 you should still get the money back from the card company.
Had a similar experience, not with a light board, but with a used Audi headlight from a breakers yard. Damn thing arrived and wasn't fit for purpose (had been damaged repaired at some point). I repackaged it and sent it back (wrapped better than it arrived), and contacted seller numerous times (on phone and via online mediation through the website that represents their members). Getting no-where, I contacted credit card company who sent out claim forms. The money is currently frozen and case remains pending. Could be long drawn out affair for 70!

One thing I'd wish I'd done was take photographs or a video. Evidence and paperwork are key here. There is small claims court if you can be bothered with hassle.

Good luck.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 17:16   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Had a similar experience, not with a light board, but with a used Audi headlight from a breakers yard. Damn thing arrived and wasn't fit for purpose (had been damaged repaired at some point). I repackaged it and sent it back (wrapped better than it arrived), and contacted seller numerous times (on phone and via online mediation through the website that represents their members). Getting no-where, I contacted credit card company who sent out claim forms. The money is currently frozen and case remains pending. Could be long drawn out affair for 70!

One thing I'd wish I'd done was take photographs or a video. Evidence and paperwork are key here. There is small claims court if you can be bothered with hassle.

Good luck.
Wasn't a mob in Stirchley, Brum was it?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 18:51   #6
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Thanks for the advices. Will go through the credit card company depending on what he comes back with. It's not so much the money (55 plus 2 lots of postage) it's the attitude that really steams my greens. Bought off him a couple of times before and he seemed ok.

I've requested a pic of the damage so we'll see if that comes back. If he insists I've bust it then I'll get him to send it back to me and see if I can't make something useful out of it. Obviously I'll be posting glowing reviews on every camping/trailer review site I can find.
__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 19:04   #7
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
Thanks for the advices. Will go through the credit card company depending on what he comes back with. It's not so much the money (55 plus 2 lots of postage) it's the attitude that really steams my greens. Bought off him a couple of times before and he seemed ok.

I've requested a pic of the damage so we'll see if that comes back. If he insists I've bust it then I'll get him to send it back to me and see if I can't make something useful out of it. Obviously I'll be posting glowing reviews on every camping/trailer review site I can find.
Don't wait for what they come back with, they've shown their colours.
Get your card company to deal with it. You pay for that part and they'll do their job on your behalf.......and they will.
Just keep all the paperwork.
It's shocking isn't it?
Who was it? I need lightboard bits, and would like to avoid your mess.
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2013, 20:22   #8
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Trailertek. To be fair I've bought of them twice before and all has been ok. Its possible he'll send photos which show how he could have thought I'd done something to the board. But I'm not holding my breath. I've found a couple of other reference s to their poor customer service around the web.
__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2013, 01:44   #9
Member
 
paddlers's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,063
Had quite a few bits off them over the years with no issues ! I suspect it's had some very rough handling in transit & when you see how some of the couriers that arrive at my house drive & throw items around in the back of their vans it's no surprise !!!
I'd get onto my credit card company immediately & tell them that there's an issue (I think on debit cards it's limited to 120 days) & let them deal with it ! The thing's obviously not fit for purpose but if it's going to prove a headache in future email the company prior to purchase with your car model/year & get them to commit.
Good luck with it.
__________________
paddlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2013, 02:14   #10
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Thing is, if it was damaged in transit then fine. But why start alleging that ive attached another light unit to it and then taken it off? And as for the compatibility thing: its not like its a weird 'niche' model: its an Audi A4 with a Seat badge on it!
__________________

__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.