Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 November 2005, 09:27   #51
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 551
I stand corrected... and also handy to have a REME mechanic on the payroll! I still want one and have done so for at least 20 years... one day.
__________________

__________________
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:29   #52
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I was going to answer your post with an explanation of how the research was carried out and to explain how the relative values that people put on their possession have little bearing on the monetary value, but I canít be bother, because what every anyone says you are always right and you know all there is to know about everything. Des
So you don't accept that some models of land rover will be used differently to others? You also don't accept that someone who buys a brand new vehicle is less like to trash it that someone who buys one 3rd hand?

Of course there are always some exceptions to the rule!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:30   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
And I am NOT on about the current vehicles - I am on about the ones Jimbo was looking at - 1995 or thereabouts - not many people will have taken a £40,000 vehicle offroad - £5,000 and it becomes MUCH more likely!!!
This is logical advice I feel. If I was looking at a secondhand mondeo say, I'd naturally be more wary of mechanics than a brand new one, as it is likely to have covered many miles on road.

Therefore it stands to reason that with 4x4's, the older they get, the more likely they are to have been used for their intended purpose. If I bought a showroom condition Rangie in central london, chances are the worst it will have seen is a puddle, however if I'm looking at sub £5000 rangies in hampshire, the situation could be different.

Thanks for your caution codders, and also for taking time to tailor your comments to the type of vehicle I'm after (having narrowed myself down to being fairly specific now!) rather than just going for a general slanging.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I was going to answer your post with an explanation of how the research was carried out and to explain how the relative values that people put on their possession have little bearing on the monetary value, but I canít be bother, because what every anyone says you are always right and you know all there is to know about everything. Des
Des, I'd actually love to hear about these figures etc, as I do not know all there is to know about everything (reason I posted this query in the first place!) and have to say that in my uninformed ignorance, I would also assume that a far higher proportion of Defenders than 5% go offroad!

I'm also interested to know who answered this survey, as you mentioned a representative group of owners. Now, I might not explain my thinking right, however, say you want to take a representative group of owners, and you choose the following groups:

Owners of landies for only off road use
Parents worried about kids safety
People who fancy a big car to impress their mates
People who regularly tow stuff
People who want a large internal volume
People who want a high driving position and 7 seats

Now, just say you take 10 people from each of your representative groups (Assuming you have enough groups to make it fair - mine above are just examples). This doesn't give you an accurate survey. The reason for that is it doesn't take into account the number of vehicles in each group, so you have to use a weighting structure for it. This is something that "market researchers" often do not do, they take the same number of people from each group.

Now, I'm not saying this is the case in the figures you have des, I'm just saying it might be, so that's why I'm interested in seeing what you have
__________________
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:33   #54
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Thanks Jimbo - it seems to be that whenever I genuinely try to help someone all I get is abuse!!! At least you have the insight to see what I am on about!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:34   #55
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I was going to answer your post with an explanation of how the research was carried out and to explain how the relative values that people put on their possession have little bearing on the monetary value, but I canít be bother, because what every anyone says you are always right and you know all there is to know about everything. Des
Sigh. This is unfortunately all too true and Mr Codprawn got me bang to rights when he said:

Originally Posted by codprawn
"If you know what you are doing buy a Land Rover - if you don't then buy a JAP car - they have lots of pretty toys. "

Ipso Facto - I don't know what I'm talking about and he does. QED. Jimbo, please forget everything I said about Isuzus. I'm sorry to have taken up your time. Please listen to the advice of Mr Codprawn, but don't have an opinion that doesn't match his programming otherwise he'll spawn all over you. Is it not now time for a Codprawn forum now? So we can go ask advice on stuff?
__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:40   #56
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Sigh. This is unfortunately all too true and Mr Codprawn got me bang to rights when he said:

Originally Posted by codprawn
"If you know what you are doing buy a Land Rover - if you don't then buy a JAP car - they have lots of pretty toys. "

Ipso Facto - I don't know what I'm talking about and he does. QED. Jimbo, please forget everything I said about Isuzus. I'm sorry to have taken up your time. Please listen to the advice of Mr Codprawn, but don't have an opinion that doesn't match his programming otherwise he'll spawn all over you. Is it not now time for a Codprawn forum now? So we can go ask advice on stuff?
Maybe you misinterprated my advice - looking at it I can see it is a bit misleading BUT if you had read it all in context you would see what I was getting at.

When I said "if you know what you are doing" maybe I should have said - "if you know what you are looking for". Basically i was advsing him to only buy a Land Rover IF he knew enough about them to check for abuse etc etc!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:47   #57
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Maybe you misinterprated my advice - looking at it I can see it is a bit misleading BUT if you had read it all in context you would see what I was getting at.
Yes of course, this is becoming a regular mantra now with us not only not knowing what we're doing but always misinterpreting your comments as well.

Anyway la li la li la li la.. what a loverly day it is here in downtown Lymington. The sky is achingly blue and there's scarcely a ripple on the briny....makes me want to unwinterize the rubber duck.
__________________
hard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:48   #58
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Don't know where you got your 95% from Des

"Land Rover claims that a surprisingly high percentage of owners use their vehicles off-road, even if that means nothing more adventurous than towing a horse trailer across a firm, smooth field."

http://www.automobilemag.com/2006_sn...e_rover_sport/
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:51   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Yes of course, this is becoming a regular mantra now with us not only not knowing what we're doing but always misinterpreting your comments as well.

Anyway la li la li la li la.. what a loverly day it is here in downtown Lymington. The sky is achingly blue and there's scarcely a ripple on the briny....makes me want to unwinterize the rubber duck.
So which was it???

Either you thought I meant

1. People who buy Jap vehicles don't know what they are doing

or

2. If you don't know what your looking for avoid a Land Rover

I can only assume from your response I meant the 1st one and yet now you say I am accusing you of not knowing what I was on about!!!

It has to be one or the other!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2005, 09:53   #60
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Des, I'd actually love to hear about these figures etc, as I do not know all there is to know about everything.........
Jimbo this comment wasnít aimed at you but since youíve asked the figure, were across the board of all customers and the question was along the lines of what do you do with yours, no weighting, little demographics or socioeconomic stuff.
Bear in mind that current production figures for Defender makes up a very small percentage of total build, from memory current production is about 4K to 5K per year where as Disco is 185K and Freelander was about 100K per year.. This defiantly will slue the results towards the higher build models but when looked at in customer terms this is were the business is. Des
__________________

__________________
Scary Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.