Old 15 July 2007, 22:34   #61

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I used to do a lot of climbing in the area he mentions - the only bikes that cause offence are the 2 strokes. in fact they were often drowned out - by the sound of the bloody Police helicopter!!!
Mmmm... likewise I used to do a lot of climbing and motorcycling in the area. Never been bothered much by noise of motorcyles (although the noise of a [four stroke two-cylinder ] Ducati does travel a long way!), but then would have considered myself hypocritical to moan about the mode of transport I'd just used to get myself there. The climbs in the Nant Ffrancon are easy anyway, so shouldn't be too distracting! It's another story in the Llanberis pass... the climbs are harder and the road takes more concentration for a motorcyclist... better all round!

BTW I've never seen or heard a police helicopter in the area.... only the RAF mountain rescue helicopter.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2007, 13:43   #62

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
Guys we all ride around in rubber bands powered by very similar lumps to those being discussed and many of our less thoughtful brethern make an aweful lot of noise in close proximity to other water users who use nothing but the wind to power their craft. Are we not some what hypocrytical commenting on noisy bikes?

On the other hand, if there is a law about noise, it should be enforced. If there is insufficient police to do this, we should all be issued with stingers to take the tyres out. That will stop them!
Old 18 July 2007, 14:11   #63

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoa View Post
Guys we all ride around in rubber bands powered by very similar lumps to those being discussed and many of our less thoughtful brethern make an aweful lot of noise in close proximity to other water users who use nothing but the wind to power their craft. Are we not some what hypocrytical commenting on noisy bikes?
Absolutely right , its not the noise it makes so much as the way its used , When I did nothing but sail and Kayak I hated all fast watercraft users and had then all tarred with the same brush .

Problem with anything fast and noisy be it boat car or bike , its fun for the user but pisses off most bystanders ,we need to remember that throwing a rib or jetski about 100 yds off a slipway or beach upsets people but the driver thinks he is being clever and impressing anyone watching ,as does riding a fast bike like an idiot through a town.
Old 18 July 2007, 17:05   #64
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoa View Post
Are we not some what hypocrytical commenting on noisy bikes?
Possibly, but I don't know of anyone who has deliberately modified their outboard to make it noisier. If everyone just ran stock pipes on their bikes I think that there would be rather less to complain about.

John
Old 18 July 2007, 20:34   #65
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Have you seen the price of stock pipes? It's half the price to buy an aftermarket system.

Besides, stock is only available off the shelf for one of our 4 bikes-and it wouldn't fit as the bike itself has been modified.

I say all this and I don't feel any kinship with the "plastic rocket/akrapovic can/arse in the air chasing other men in tight red leather boys" because mostly they ride like complete idiots.
Besides, I can't deal with people who think 'customising' is having a half hour discussion on strategically placing a carbon fibre look tax disc holder.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2007, 20:42   #66

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Talking of noisy outboards I was watching the 2 Swansea dive club RIBs the other day - they were only about 100yds off Mumbles head and I wanted to hear how the Suzuki DT200 sounded compared to the Suzuki DF140. Just as they started pulling away 2 Lynx choppers flew over!!! by the time the choppers had gone I couldn't hear either outboard.............
Old 18 July 2007, 22:24   #67

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Was filtering through the permament traffic jam that is eastern road in pompey this afternoon - got to the lights by the old renault garage and this woman in a fking naff new freelander wound down her window and said "do you have to rev your engine, its so incredibly anti social." Didnt know whether to laugh or cry, but nearly dropped my bike in shock. The rattling clutch is louder than standard 916 cans and not half as antisocial as a crap 4x4.
Old 18 July 2007, 22:37   #68
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsina911 View Post
this woman in a fking naff new freelander wound down her window and said "do you have to rev your engine, its so incredibly anti social." Didnt know whether to laugh or cry, but nearly dropped my bike in shock. The rattling clutch is louder than standard 916 cans and not half as antisocial as a crap 4x4.
I wish someone would do that to me...I think I might scare them though

Old 18 July 2007, 22:51   #69

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
The older I get, the more these little incidents amuse me... when they (we!) are in their (our!) cars, everyone knows best don't they? (we!)
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 01:36   #70

Hope you pulled a wheelie!!!
Old 19 July 2007, 02:23   #71

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Last visit to UK. I was driving from Southampton, in a rental VW, to Heathrow. Approaching H/row it started bucketing down with rain and I was looking for the signs to Terminal 4 and driving slowly. A car behind me started honking and flashing lights. On approaching a roundabout the car pulled alongside me, wound down the window and waved. I wound down my window and a " non reflective" woman shouted that I was a F'en dangerous driver for going slow. Suitable digital gestures followed along with a few racist comments. However, I did make it to Term. 4 and after a very pleasant 1 hour in the BA club slept all the way to Arizona. Be proud of BA, they do a great job.
Old 19 July 2007, 09:16   #72
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Have you seen the price of stock pipes? It's half the price to buy an aftermarket system.

Besides, stock is only available off the shelf for one of our 4 bikes-and it wouldn't fit as the bike itself has been modified.
Obfuscation!

I agree that where a stock pipe needs replacing, then you'll find an aftermarket one cheaper. I also accept that you grease splattered types who hack rat bikes together may "need" something more exotic.

However, I'd bet that the vast majority of the road warriors under discussion have taken off a perfectly good stock pipe, purely to fit a noisier one . . .

John
Old 19 July 2007, 18:55   #73
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Obfuscation!

I agree that where a stock pipe needs replacing, then you'll find an aftermarket one cheaper. I also accept that you grease splattered types who hack rat bikes together may "need" something more exotic.

However, I'd bet that the vast majority of the road warriors under discussion have taken off a perfectly good stock pipe, purely to fit a noisier one . . .

John
Oi less of the 'grease splattered!'

I think you're probably right though. I think a lot of the irritation factor is the exhaust note as well as the volume-ie riding like a twat makes a sound like a loud angry wasp and the rest of the time it's not even noticed...

Old 19 July 2007, 20:16   #74

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Hope you pulled a wheelie!!!
I wish I could, unfortunately I dont have sufficiently big plums to even try
Old 29 July 2007, 01:04   #75

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
My toy's are a:
Lotus Esprit Turbo S4S, top speed 179mph 0>60 4.5
Lotus Exige S2, top speed 154mph 0>60 3.9
Speed gun tested at track days......
I have fitted many mod's to both....both are now noisier & both are now much quicker & focused cars & safer too much more so than a standard everyday saloon/hatchback/4x4 at any speed. My main complaint is the idiots driving at 40mph in a 60mph limit, you overtake them & then have them putting there fingers up at you as you go by them trying to out gun you as your going past or they brand YOU as an idiot for speeding, or kids in 1.3 vauxhall novas with 4" tail pipes sitting on your rear bumper playing gangsta rap out of 4000w sterios flat out pushing you to race um . As for speeding i think everyone does it at sometime & as said earlier in this post there is a time & place for everything ie; deserted M road 2am & you take your chances with the speed traps & cant moan if ur caught or trackdays when you can really use um properly . It would be a very sad day if they brought in a 100mph limit. Exotic/performance cars & bikes where not built to go slow & future works of automotive art like them would be gone forever, all we would have left is boring metal boxes made in different colours on the roads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143 (Small).JPG
Views:	185
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	28894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339 (Small).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	28895  

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2007, 01:16   #76

Esprit is awesome - the way the car turns in an changes direction is incredible - it doesn't just change lanes it seems to jump them.

I am determind to get an esprit one day - pref a sport 300.
Old 29 July 2007, 02:24   #77

Quote:
Esprit is awesome - the way the car turns in an changes direction is incredible - it doesn't just change lanes it seems to jump them.

I am determind to get an esprit one day - pref a sport 300.
Hi Codders,
Wanted one for years myself (its a BOND thing) Had mine chipped to a 300 spec ecu.....awsome car poor gear box but you learn to live with & love it (you have no choise) id only swap it in for a 2002> V8 Esprit. If you like handling try an Exige S2 after driving one i had to buy it, but couldent bring myself to let the Esprit go though so im now an official Lotus head.....i have driven many exotics but around tracks nothing can touch the Exige bar a big Caterham but then you get wet & cold....i brought the boat for that The Exige even won the GT3 Championships against Astons/GT3 911's ect,ect increadable car when driven hard. But you cant beat the old Esprit for classic looks & it still out handles 95% of other Exotics & it aint no donkey in the performance stakes, you can chip um up to 380>400bhp! there only 1365Kg all up! power to wight superb in a low excellent well balenced chassie & proper a head turner body to boot....An all time great mid engined Super Car & at £16>£20k not a lot of bucks. Buy it before the goverment stop you enjoying driving!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0144 (Small).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	28896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146 (Small).JPG
Views:	180
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	28897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141 (Small).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	28898  

www.aqua-care.co.uk
Old 29 July 2007, 04:47   #78

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Nice toys!!! Lotus'es are rarer than hen's teeth in these parts. A fellow a couple blocks from where I work has a Lotus Elise convertible - sharpest looking convertible I've ever seen.
Old 29 July 2007, 09:26   #79

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
So why do cars need to go more than 100 mph. Its only legal in a few countries and its not legal at all in the UK. So maybe this man has a point.

Everytime I see a car doing 100mph plus I just think prat, if its on a motorway and if I see one on other roads I find my life is in the hands of the car that is doing the ridiculous speed.

Anyone who does 100 mph + is being completely selfish and sod the poor innocent driver and pasengers that get in his way.
So why don't you have a 5hp motor on your rib? That would be enough to get you around? Surely 140hp on a 5m rib is irresponsible?
Old 30 July 2007, 12:04   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Nice toys!!! Lotus'es are rarer than hen's teeth in these parts. A fellow a couple blocks from where I work has a Lotus Elise convertible - sharpest looking convertible I've ever seen.
Hi Prairie tuber,
I had one of those before i brought the Exige, very nice car but i wanted something more track focused. Below's the day i had the Exige delivered & my old Elise taken away.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0280 (Small).JPG
Views:	168
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	28921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278 (Small).JPG
Views:	162
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	28922  

www.aqua-care.co.uk