Old 23 September 2008, 19:42   #1

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
World Stone Skimming Championships 2008

The Annual World Stone Skimming Championships will be held on Easdale Island just south of Oban this Sun 28th Sept.
full details http://www.stoneskimming.com/
Berthing for RIBs in the harbour
Juniors and adults sections
Starts 11.00
Old 23 September 2008, 20:33   #2

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Tony,
what are the berthing arrangements? The website doesn't mention anything. Any costs and is there plenty of space? Plus where exactly is the berthing on the island?
We may come down and enter and go for a run afterwards if the weather looks nice.
Old 24 September 2008, 06:56   #3

Berthing arrangements Easdale Island

Come up the channel to Easdale Island Harbour. There is an obvious ramp for the ferry on the left. Go on to the stone steps just past the ramp and tie up. there is room for RIBs just before and after the stone steps. Tie abreast. We are also about to install a 25 metre pontoon within the harbour for RIB berthing. Whilst we only have one section in and it is not in its proper position you are welcome to tie alongside. It is well secured. - I am sure the ferryman will pick you up and bring you ashore. Tide is 0.7m at noon - bit of a squeeze but we get our RIBs in/out carefully at this depth.

Tony
Old 24 September 2008, 10:38   #4

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hill View Post
Come up the channel to Easdale Island Harbour. There is an obvious ramp for the ferry on the left. Go on to the stone steps just past the ramp and tie up. there is room for RIBs just before and after the stone steps. Tie abreast. We are also about to install a 25 metre pontoon within the harbour for RIB berthing. Whilst we only have one section in and it is not in its proper position you are welcome to tie alongside. It is well secured. - I am sure the ferryman will pick you up and bring you ashore. Tide is 0.7m at noon - bit of a squeeze but we get our RIBs in/out carefully at this depth.
Tony
Tony,

I'm hoping to be out and about over the weekend and may well participate. Being old tosser I'll need some lubrication and a warm up before the event and the Pre Skim Party seems just the thing.

The weather map shows a cold/warm front over Argyll on Sat midday, so I'm still not sure about the weather, but if it's not too windy for my tent - and there's a place for me to moor for Sat night, I plan to arrive Sat afternoon, go to the party and sleep overnight on my RIB, thus being refreshed and well oiled for the main event. I need to be pretty well head to wind o/n though as the tent's open ended. If that's not possible, I'll maybe anchor somewhere close or come straight from home for Sunday's fun.

Cheers, Tony (G)
Old 24 September 2008, 18:26   #5

Mooring buoy Easdale

Inside Easdale Island harbour there are a few swinging moorings. The spare ferry will be on one but the feeryman is normally quite happy for people to tie alongside the boat. Whilst our pontoon is tied bow and stern you could just tie off one end and go head to wind. Bring a few fenders. Inside the harbour there's not really much wind anyway. Weather today has been great - OK overcast but its very calm out at sea at the moment and whilst forecasting as you are well aware up here is a lot of guesswork my view is that its going to be OK throughout the weekend. (That's now a curse on the weather)

Tony
Old 24 September 2008, 23:04   #6

Quote:
.....my view is that its going to be OK throughout the weekend. (That's now a curse on the weather)

Tony
Thanks for that, Tony. Yep! Argyll must the only place in the world it'll rain and blow a gale in the middle of an anticyclone.

Sounds good though. All being well I'll arrive Sat afternoon/eve and I'm sure there'll be somewhere to lie and I'll be well looked after. Don't mind dangling off the spare ferry, or your pontoon, at all. I've got a dinghy aboard so no probs getting ashore.

15 years full time sailing/instructing round here - and the rest - and this will be my first time on Easdale. Looking forward to it.

Cheers, Tony
Old 26 September 2008, 09:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Thanks for that, Tony. Yep! Argyll must the only place in the world it'll rain and blow a gale in the middle of an anticyclone.

Sounds good though. All being well I'll arrive Sat afternoon/eve and I'm sure there'll be somewhere to lie and I'll be well looked after. Don't mind dangling off the spare ferry, or your pontoon, at all. I've got a dinghy aboard so no probs getting ashore.

15 years full time sailing/instructing round here - and the rest - and this will be my first time on Easdale. Looking forward to it.

Cheers, Tony
Well, the anticyclone's disappearing. Next week looks rotten. Plans for the next five days or so in tatters.

As it looks at the moment I'll not be around on Saturday. SW 5-7. North of Pladda's not the place for me in that. Sunday, we'll see; NW 4-5's ok; I'd have to get up very early. May just come by car. What a bummer.
Old 26 September 2008, 10:15   #8

Tony,
it looks like some rain but looking at the charts the weather doesn't look that bad till monday.
Probably some showers and reasonably lightish winds from the North is my reading of the charts although I have been known to be wrong now and again.
Will let you know tomorrow who was right!
Old 26 September 2008, 14:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Tony,
it looks like some rain but looking at the charts the weather doesn't look that bad till monday.
Probably some showers and reasonably lightish winds from the North is my reading of the charts although I have been known to be wrong now and again.
Will let you know tomorrow who was right!
Hi Bruce,

Feelin better about it now I've readjusted my plans. Yes, Monday doesn't look good at all. Just been looking again at the Beebs pages. There might be a window Sat afternoon and it's going to be NW'ly o/n, which would be ok. However, I've drummed up some enthusiasm locally and as I'll be part of the transport, Saturday night is ruled out. Sunday looks ok. Not sure whether to go by boat or car. Prospective passenger seems to favour boat, but I'm not sure she realises what a RIB can be like. We're discussing it tonight and will make decision after tomorrows forecast and let you know. If the weather's ok - i.e. if it's not too windy, I favour RIBin it. Hope to see you there?
Old 27 September 2008, 08:26   #10

Weather Sat/Sun

My estimation is that the wind will start decreasing circa noon today (Sat) and by tomorrow noon will be Force 3 possibly low end of 4 at worst - wind from the west.

I will keep an eye open for your boats - Should you struggle with the harbour, we took a boat to our workshops yesterday (end of season) so use one of our yellow cylindrical buoys in the sound. Just wave to the ferryman who will pick you up

Tony
Old 27 September 2008, 17:29   #11

Weather currently as forecast

Its blue sky here at Easdale Island, wind died away to around 3 to 4 from around 3.00pm then swung NW blew slightly and is now calming again. Expecting it to go south late tonight early tomorrow but be westerly 3 circa noon
Old 28 September 2008, 01:00   #12

Don't know if we will make it down, just got back from millport at 1:45am. Will see how we feel and what the weather is doing later this morning.
Old 29 September 2008, 10:59   #13

Weather improved so much on Sat I was all ready to go to the party, but had some bad news which dampened the party spirits. So, I got there Sunday morning 1000, after an easy passage with little wind and only one light shower, while there was still some water to get into the harbour. Never been there. Very interesting. Sorry you couldn't make it Bruce. Tony magically appeared to take my lines and guide my route up the 'steps' and on to the island.

Great day, not much rain, but a W'ly breeze increasing to brisk. Just hoped it would ease by the evening and start of the ebb. It did - a bit. Short steep seas on the starboard bow (mainly) as I approached Pladda kept speed down to 10-15 knots, I think, (when I could read the GPS - which wasn't often) except in the good bits, which always ended with a big hole appearing under the boat and a block of concrete to hit. Will I ever learn?

A lively run down the Sound of Luing at 23knts. - full cruising speed - and then the Dorus Mor. I usually scoot through the lively bits at the western entrance just for fun. You can avoid them a bit if you try, but it didn't seem worth it. This time, I'd misjudged it. The pyramidal waves were at my eye height, squirting up into the sky all around - and under - me. Reduced speed to a crawl and let the tide carry me through. All over in a couple of minutes and I was soon back home.

Was it worth it? Will I do it again? Absolutely. The event's huge fun, the island people great, helpful and welcoming. The organisation fantastic, I'm sure every islander must have been involved in some way. Great food. And I've known worse weather. Thanks for organising that, Tony.

I'll be back next year, by RIB weather permitting. After all, I need to defend my title. Yes, these are the words of a (joint) World Champion - in the 'Old Tosser' category. I've never been a World Champion before. I'm quite chuffed.
Old 29 September 2008, 14:00   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Cool and well done!
Old 29 September 2008, 18:38   #15

World Champion on RIBNET

Day was a great success for the island - apart from the advertising, Terry Wogan Radio Show this morning, and BBC TV, all funds raised are spent on the island which this year will include some harbour improvements. The cruising ground is wonderful, loads of islands to visit. Ribbing can be challenging. Apart from the weather we have strong tides including the Gulf of Corryvreckan, home of the World's Third Largest Whirlpool. There is self catering accommodation and B&B.
Easdale harbour is extremely sheltered and welcomes visitors. The Puffer Bar and Restaurant is 50m away and used to 'damp' visitors.

Congratulations must go to Alystra on his winning performance.
Old Tosser - will not hear of it, you were up and down those harbour steps like a youngster

The Championships always take place over the Glasgow September weekend so put it in your cruising diary for 2009.
Old 29 September 2008, 22:00   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Cool and well done!
Thank you. Will we see you next year?
Old 29 September 2008, 22:05   #17

Quote:
Congratulations must go to Alystra on his winning performance.
Old Tosser - will not hear of it, you were up and down those harbour steps like a youngster..........
That's what pickin the whelks does for you Tony. I'll be back to that just as soon as I get out of traction.
Old 04 April 2009, 10:41   #18

Long time ago I know, but I took some video footage of the event. No pics of actual RIBbing - I was too busy hanging on to take anything.

Here it is - I hope - just to show what you guys missed and hopefully persuade you to earmark the dates for next year.

Apologies if this isn't in the right place.

PS I don't know how to embed the picture in here.
Old 04 April 2009, 11:01   #19
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Nicely put together
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjHhEe33-os&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tjHhEe33-os&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Old 04 April 2009, 12:06   #20

Thank you JSP.

How did you do that? I posted it onto another site by adding a v after http, but that didn't seem to work here.

Cheers, Tony