Old 30 November 2013, 20:46   #41

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Andre, thanks for saving me having to write about Jura!

OK, due to lack of time constraints I have similar pics of most of the others, all found on various photo sites (Geograph & the like) or whisky soc. type places. I have also rather annoyingly lost the GPX file I had with the various piers etc, so in the meantime, here is a quick-ish verbal round-up. Bear in mind check this out before you try it in anger, some of these notes are >5YO....

OK, Islay:
Kilchoman - take a bike, & / or swap your rib for a hovercraft. Nowhere near or easy to drop a hook (well, Machir bay might work if you don't mind waiting for the tide to come back!)

Islay Sound:
Both Bunnahabhain & Caol Isla have piers. I think both are still useable, but if you use Port Askaig pier for CI make sure you don't block the ferry / fishing boats. The piers show on the Admiralty chart BA2481 & Navonics Gold 200? edition I assume they will also show on other charting.

Islay South Coast:
Ardbeg has a small rocky jetty, I assume we are looking at hook / row in with the dinghy job here. (Willk et al, you've done this a couple of times (! ) - can you elaborate?

Laphroig has a similar looking jetty, Assume the same applies.

Lagavullan has moorings & a half decent pier.

Not sure what the story is re. use of the jetties, probably worth calling before arrival. (although if one says "OK" then the rest are a short walk.....)

Having said that, Port Ellen Marina has full facilities, and is not much more of a walk than if you moored off one of the distilleries. Other thing to watch - many rocks on the way in to all three, so the marina may be the best bet. (and you can then camp out in a B&B or similar in PE.)

Loch Indaal:

Both Bowmore & Bruchladdich Have piers & a beach

Others:
Tobermory / Ledaig - Full facility marina / pontoons a short walk, or tie up to Balamory pier & take a stroll along the front. (but again don't block the ferry etc and mind the telly cameras on the way past! )

Oban
Short walk from the North Pier. If the tides / winds are in your favour there is a slip / jetty about 200 yds to the north of said pier. No idea about mooring fees etc as this one is arguably easier to visit by road!

Talisker
Any cruising guide will tell you all you need to know!

Springbank
Pontoons in C'ton harbour, distillery is a walk. Not sure about their visiting policy, was "ask before showing up" last time I checked, but this may have changed.

and while we are east of the Mull, a related visit for those with a dinghy aboard might be the Fyne Brewery. A canoe might be a better bet, as you need to anchor off the sandbank, & start rowing up the river for 1/4 mile or so. This, if my guestimate is correct will be only workable at high tide. (not had a chance to see it at any other state in passing with the car), but I reckon it could turn into an interesting wee trip back at lower end of the cycle.... It MIGHT be doable in the rib itself, but I would suggest those with a love of their skeg / prop stick to the dinghy!

Will see if I can find where the GPX file went, more as & when I find it......

And I might be up for a wee fresh water flush if anything is happening. (Read - Lomond trip!)
Old 30 November 2013, 23:24   #42
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Islay South Coast:
Ardbeg has a small rocky jetty, I assume we are looking at hook / row in with the dinghy job here. (Willk et al, you've done this a couple of times (! ) - can you elaborate?

Laphroig has a similar looking jetty, Assume the same applies.

Lagavullan has moorings & a half decent pier.
Ardbeg quay is fine (see pic). As I recall, there is bu@@er all tide there? The approaches to both Ardbeg and Lagavulin are strewn with rocks and need to be taken carefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moneyshot.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	87965  
Old 30 November 2013, 23:38   #43

you been photoshopping that second boat out from the quay?
Old 30 November 2013, 23:42   #44
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
you been photoshopping that second boat out from the quay?
It's a new product - airbrushed teak
Old 30 November 2013, 23:58   #45

Of course - the real thing wouldn't be environmentally friendly in a rain forest destroying sort of way!

Methinks I'm going to have to either dig the old Pentium out the attic or find an old USB stick - the "distilleries" file I have found on this machine puts the waypoint for the three randoms I checked at the front gate. Not much use unless you plan to tow the boat there!

Also seem to be missing an excel file with contact numbers / opening times etc. Watch this space... (well, for half useful data. The banter will no doubt fill the gap.....)
Old 01 December 2013, 01:02   #46

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
ahhhhh, but do like the sound of the wacky races, but not the full day out, don't think I'll be up to that for a while

yes, we called in to ask about the b&b a couple of years back and liked the sound of it, having their own slip etc helps as well, maybe a good venue for the 1st trip to the Loch with the SR4
How about a long weekend jaunt up there in Feb Chris? We could give the SRs a shakedown amidst the snow-covered mountains and probably have the Loch to ourselves, give and take a few fishermen.

I'll tell the Mrs it's her valentine's day treat....
Old 01 December 2013, 01:08   #47

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:

Methinks I'm going to have to either dig the old Pentium out the attic or find an old USB stick - the "distilleries" file I have found on this machine puts the waypoint for the three randoms I checked at the front gate. Not much use unless you plan to tow the boat there!

Also seem to be missing an excel file with contact numbers / opening times etc. Watch this space... (well, for half useful data. The banter will no doubt fill the gap.....)
One way, or another, it's all sounding like you've been enjoying a few too many drams of the 'product'!
Old 01 December 2013, 08:38   #48

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
How about a long weekend jaunt up there in Feb Chris? We could give the SRs a shakedown amidst the snow-covered mountains and probably have the Loch to ourselves, give and take a few fishermen.

I'll tell the Mrs it's her valentine's day treat....
not sure I'll be up to it by Feb, maybe a touch ambitious, but guess you're right about the Loch
Old 01 December 2013, 10:48   #49

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Wonder if we could get sponsorship from any of the distilleries so normal people could afford to go .. a nice looking fleet to picture in their TV ad or something ?!
Old 01 December 2013, 11:10   #50
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Wonder if we could get sponsorship from any of the distilleries so normal people could afford to go .. a nice looking fleet to picture in their TV ad or something ?!
You're in Sales, aren't you Shaz?

I can see the ad now - A fleet of seariders tied up outside Laphroaig. The strapline could run:

"Laphroaig - not a patch on Ardbeg"
Old 01 December 2013, 12:26   #51

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You're in Sales, aren't you Shaz? I can see the ad now - A fleet of seariders tied up outside Laphroaig. The strapline could run: "Laphroaig - not a patch on Ardbeg"

No no both of them not a patch on Jura!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2013, 12:50   #52
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
No no both of them not a patch on Jura!!!!!!!!
...or a mob of seariders revving their 2 strokes in Craighouse Bay with the tasting notes below

"Hints of rubber and burnt oil"

Old 01 December 2013, 13:04   #53

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
...or a mob of seariders revving their 2 strokes in Craighouse Bay with the tasting notes below "Hints of rubber and burnt oil"
Jesus that's good. Erm not to sure if 30 + redbays revving in Arbeg is any better certain a deeper note

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2013, 00:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
One way, or another, it's all sounding like you've been enjoying a few too many drams of the 'product'!
of course not.....

(But in my defence I still can't find the ****ing file!!!!!)

Quote:
I can see the ad now - A fleet of seariders tied up outside Laphroaig. The strapline could run:

"Laphroaig - not a patch on Ardbeg"
Or..... the SR fleet go to Tallisker for the publicity shot where their latest packaging replaces the rope round the top of the tin by gaffer tape.....

Quote:
...or a mob of seariders revving their 2 strokes in Craighouse Bay with the tasting notes below

"Hints of rubber and burnt oil"

Don't you mean

"Hints of rubber and unburnt oil"

I have now ascertained I am looking for a missing USB flash drive, which with or without Islay's assistance is going to be a tad more difficult to locate than a pentium4!
Old 02 December 2013, 22:17   #55

....which I have now found and can confirm that I think the Excel file is lost In the mists of time..... or my old knackered HD

Although on the plus side, I do appear to have added some of the distillery piers to my "West Coast South" waypoint file. Will extract as time allows. Watch this space!