Old 04 April 2006, 20:22   #1

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
washington to Alaska

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to tackle this? i'm thinking about 10-15 days. I haven't done much planning at all just checking to see if there is any interest. I've been up through part of that in a small ship but never something as personable as a RIB.
Old 04 April 2006, 23:21   #2

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
Check with Kevin Goulding who runs www.hotribs.com; he made the trip in a RIB and has written some great and informative articles about it - I'm sure he would be happy to share his info......
Old 04 April 2006, 23:24   #3

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Hey great thanks Sunrider. So how does that motor handel the bio desiel? Do you notice any difference between the two fuels?
Old 05 April 2006, 02:58   #4

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
to be honest, the only time I used petroleum diesel was during the engine break-in period, and once I experienced biodiesel have never had a good reason to use petroleum again...so I have little experience for comparison.

but I can say that biodiesel doesn't smoke, doesn't stink, doesn't burn quicker, and doesn't harm the engine. And when it's spilled on something, like your hands, it's easy on the skin...cleaning any surface rather than contaminating it. There are some things you need to think about though; such as being ready to change fuel filters when you begin using it, because it will act as a solvent and "clean" your tanks. Also, it cannot be used around rubber or some other materials (especially fuel lines). It will gell at a lower temperature so must be treated in cold weather. And be sure your source is relaible in terms of quality'

The biggest downside has been the high cost...but current petroleum prices are making it more competitive and available.

To say it simply, I've had zero problems directly linked to using 100% biodiesel over 35,000 miles and would recommend it without hesitation.