Click Here to Login

Old 08 September 2008, 16:48   #81

Town: ayr
Boat name: just looking
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140hp outboard
Bruce et al
Thanks for great day out. Very interesting and great to see the number of Ribs around. Nice to meet the others but as already said we girls need more time to chat!!!!
Let us know when the next outing/cruise is cos we're up for it.
Margot
Old 08 September 2008, 18:29   #82

Town: Largs
Boat name: Pinto
Make: Zodiac 4.7 Pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evenrude 40 e-TEC
MMSI: 235055258
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I am going to find out when the Xmas lights go up
Going by past years, the Glasgow Xmas lights are normally switched on Sunday 23rd November.

Certainly up for it - the only thing that is a concern is going down the Clyde in the dark with all the junk - we were luckier than you on the way back down and did not hit anything, but that was down to good luck!

Vivienne
Old 08 September 2008, 20:45   #83

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARGOT HENDRIE View Post
Bruce et al
we girls need more time to chat!!!!
That was one thing I hadn't considered, being used to organising dive trips that have everyone on no more than two boats at a time.
I think being quite isolated on individual boats going along that any trip should have a specific place for lunch/dinner/chat etc at the destination that we all meet up at.
This would be the place to all get together for the chat that would top off any trip and should be integrated into any other trips IMO, we live and learn
I was a bit concerned about the amount of junk as well but since there was little on the way up I wonder if the flood is bringing it in or stopping it flowing downriver or most likely, bearing in mind how long it would take to get right down the channel, it is probably grounded on the mudflats and floating off on the incoming tide.
Maybe coming down on the ow part of ebb in the dark would be safer? I will have a spotlight fitted to the front of the console by then so that should help but in any case I don't think it would stop me other than maybe going a bit slower, we did come back down the river fairly fast.......
Old 08 September 2008, 21:12   #84
K&S

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
we did come back down the river fairly fast.......
Bruce, I read on your build post about your intention to replace the 90hp.

Hang a Suzuki 140 lump on the back of your boat and that will probably be cruising speed for you.

Might also help in your decision to know we were only using an average of 0.9 / 1.0l p/knt at the same speed.
But to be fair it might put you off to know we were at 57l per hour @42knts (against tide) trying to catch up with you in the morning (Hence our trip to Dunnon for coffee and fill the reserve can)

P.S Disclaimer / ass protection type bit :
Just had a quick look at the Humber site says rated for
130hp (205kg) might be worth a call to Humber & insurance before puting one on!
Also consider the ballance of your boat - your boat did look as if it was sitting 'right' in the water at speed with the 90 on it (imo)
Old 08 September 2008, 21:31   #85

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
The 115hp would have been the engine of choice but the deal I got on the 90 made it attractive temporarily. The 115hp is the same weight and physical size as the 90hp just a bit more powerful. I bought and fitted the 90 thinking I could probably sell it for what i paid for it next year and by then have the balance to upgrade.
Looking at the pictures it does look OK, just getting used to it as the Assault had a low bow and rode very flat, one of the reasons it was rather wet in anything other than a flat calm.........
We were flat out at times doing coming down river using 0.9l per Nm, cutting back to cruising speed around 26-27 knots we use around 0.7-0.8l per Nm so our consumption wasn't too bad after all !
The boat is fairly heavy with twin batteries and 88l of fuel plus lots of chain and anchor but you have more people on board and your boat is longer which probably makes the difference in fuel usage.
I have just recalled that the rating on the boat is 130hp, forgot that lots of hulls have been derated because of the weight of equivalent 4 strokers being heavier. The identical 1990's 5.8m destroyer I used years ago had a 150hp 2 stroke on it and was fine with it as far as ratings went and boy did that thing shift when it was empty of divers!
Old 21 September 2008, 18:29   #86

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Alright guys,
I was on the ship (SD Salmoor) in Great Harbour when you went up the river and we were wondering what was going on and now I know!
If you guys are thinking about doing the christmas lights run I may well be interested as I will be home then and will be a good run to stretch the boats legs if its ready in time, but only after a couple of test runs on Loch Lomond to ensure everything is working as it should.

Graeme