Old 30 January 2009, 21:56   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Ullapool Trip for the Summer Isles

Since the TT IOM trip and Orkney are now booked up and deposits paid I am looking at the next trip to book for the summer.
A little long weekend trip to the Summer Isles is now getting sorted. Anybody fancy it?
I have been quite a few times staying in Ullapool but this time camping on one of the islands looks like the thing to do, especially as I know one that has a good sheltered bay in it near the middle of L Broom.
Anybody else fancy it later in the year for two or three nights? cruising around, barbies and maybe a few dives on the wrecks nearby?
Old 30 January 2009, 22:31   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Yeah I'm up for it.. what time/date did you have in mind ?,.. as its my home turf Round these parts you'd better have a back up plan though Bruce regardless of summer My avatar is actually a view over them from the south

I could offer accomodation from the wee hoos on the left if any one is interested if the timing is right over looking Mellon Udrigle Bay .. just Google Mellon Udrigle peeps and see what you are missing
Old 31 January 2009, 15:38   #3

A discussion on dates is taking place at the moment here. One of the other guys wants to go mid April but I reckon this is too early.
I am keen on end May onwards with experience telling me later is better for water temps and life.
We have always managed to get on OK despite the weather but always based further in from you. Been up every year for donkeys apart from last year.
One of the aims, certainly of the two boats so far, is to base camp on one of the islands rather than stay indoors.
I thought you may be interested but frankly not sure many more would be due to the distances involved, its a fair 5 hour + tow for us!
Old 31 January 2009, 18:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
A discussion on dates is taking place at the moment here. One of the other guys wants to go mid April but I reckon this is too early.
Well the sea is usually fairly quiet then, but it still gets to zero degrees/snow quite easily, depending on the weather system in place at the time.

The trouble is the weather is so variable as you probably know, that you could spend ages planning something only to end up with a crap spell of weather just when you dont need it, and they can become pretty inaccessible especially for landing as they are pretty beachless save for the odd spot. Where do you go/stay , and what ones have you landed on ?

Quote:
I am keen on end May onwards
Seen some cracking spells in May right enough

Saying all that, last summer was a good un up there & around Lewis.
Old 31 January 2009, 18:47   #5

I have always been later in the year organising for up to 12 diving using one or two boats. I usually book parts of the Scotpackers hostel in Ullapool.
This time I was thinking of camping on the small island near the Fairweather V that has the bay on both side with the spit joining them as no matter which way the wind is coming its sheltered.
Lot os inquisitive seals on that island as well
Old 31 January 2009, 19:14   #6

Town: SE England
Length: 6m +
What are the midges like that time of year?
Old 31 January 2009, 21:10   #7

Quote:
I have always been later in the year organising for up to 12 diving using one or two boats. I usually book parts of the Scotpackers hostel in Ullapool.
This time I was thinking of camping on the small island near the Fairweather V that has the bay on both side with the spit joining them as no matter which way the wind is coming its sheltered.
Lot os inquisitive seals on that island as well
Well she's off Tanera Mor as I remember, I think you are referring to the Island I call Cairn Skerries for which I've attached a photo below, of an older RIB of mine which was anchored on the Easterly side .. a nice rock wall to tie up to but if springs are running.. you'll be checking your ropes very often

If you go to the other side, it dries to 0.45m or less at dead low so anchorage isnt really a proposition there overnight, particularly if you get a prevailing south westerly, or worse westerly, from the minch, and its rocky too. The other side is small stone and sand, (pictured) so if you pick your spot you might be ok, further up the beach is round pebble

The seals are good fun though doesnt matter how easy you sneak in there .. they are very wary ,.. but always come back to see whose annoyed their daily slumber

Kick me if youve done all this research .. hehe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	40252  
Old 31 January 2009, 21:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
What are the midges like that time of year?
Depends .. some years they dont exist .. others .. woe betide you,.. ive seen them as thick I thought it was raining
Old 31 January 2009, 22:04   #9

I think we compared pics before, looks like the same island. The chart is of the island itself.
If we decide to use the place the north side of the bay is quite sheltered from the tide run and I would drop in a temp mooring with an anchor/chain and two 56lb angels rather than anchor each day. (plus run a rope to the shore just in case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	40253   Click image for larger version

Name:	island.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	40254  
Old 31 January 2009, 22:42   #10

Quote:
I think we compared pics before, looks like the same island. The chart is of the island itself.
If we decide to use the place the north side of the bay is quite sheltered from the tide run and I would drop in a temp mooring with an anchor/chain and two 56lb angels rather than anchor each day. (plus run a rope to the shore just in case
Aye, right enough Bruce.. Youll know your criteria well enough then just dont trust anything weather wise The best forecasters get it wrong here often ....
Old 01 February 2009, 17:53   #11

Town: INVERURIE
Boat name: Ranger
Make: Ribcraft 5.45
Engine: 90 HP Outboard
MMSI: 235010772
I’m up for it quite like the sound of the diving not sure about the camping as I am a bit of a novice on that front. I have never camped on an island so I would be up for the experience, not to bothered about when but I agree later in the year would be a safer bet. I have dived the Fairweather V a few times and would love to do it again let me know if you want a hand with anything.
Old 01 February 2009, 18:21   #12

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Engine: 100
ullapool

hi Bruce,

I might be up for this, depends on when, as to whether I have to work, so I'll not confirm, and just drift past the dates as you get closer to it, and if I can I'll set them aside

I got afloat for a few days just before christmas, and was lucky enough to have the pod of dolphins which were wandering around kintyre / firth of lorne at the time come and play with us, - something special about 12 or more bottle nosed dolphins jumping beside you, and riding the bow wave- amazing!

chris.
Old 01 February 2009, 19:51   #13

I am looking at the first week in July at the moment, still to be talked about at work tomorrow.
Old 01 February 2009, 21:28   #14

Favourite date at the moment is weekend of 4-5 July as the tides aren't too strong and it doesn't get too close to other trips.
Old 02 February 2009, 22:07   #15

Well after discussion today the weekend of 4-5 July is the date. Probably going up on the Thursday night or Friday morning and staying till Sunday. We could stay in Ullapool or elsewhere on the mainland but personally if the weather is reasonable I very much fancy setting up a temp mooring and camp on the island and using it as a base.
If we were lucky enough to get a few boats it would be a laugh camping on the island and having a barbie and beer at nights.
Dives are close enough that a short run in the evening or morning would still allow the odd dive and not interfere with runs about the islands etc.
If it is camping there is little to organise at the moment other than pencil it in.........
Old 03 February 2009, 13:08   #16

Town: INVERURIE
Boat name: Ranger
Make: Ribcraft 5.45
Engine: 90 HP Outboard
MMSI: 235010772
Just had a look at Scotpackers hostel in Ullapool it looks like they are doing a bit of reorganising they claim not to be hostel anymore but are going over to B&B.
http://www.scotpackers-hostels.co.uk/index.htm
Old 03 February 2009, 16:08   #17

I am not really surprised, two years ago they had started moving into B@B as well as hostel.
My intention wasn't to stay there anyway this time although it looks like the resident collie is no more on the hostel staff list?
Old 17 February 2009, 14:33   #18

Town: glasgow
Boat name: lizzie
Make: avon
Engine: 100 marriner
MMSI: 235052306
Hi Bruce, I would be interested in the Summer Isles trip. I have done similar trips like this to the Western Isles and camped on the islands for a few days. Scenery is out of this world. So big thumbs up for camping on the island . I will check back for further updates. Cheers!