Old 18 July 2016, 09:20   #1

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 140hp
UK Wide but my focus is Scotland

Hi

Some of you will know that a good pal of mine Chris Pell is going round the UK in a Folding RIB ( FRIB) and we are wanting to know if anyone wants to join us on the Scottish Legs. For the rest of the UK please contact Chris Directly through his website

Please look at The Challenge - The Round Britain Endeavour

For anyone in Scotland legs 7 to 16 are the ones we would like your support on by joining us on the water.

Obviously all donation welcome
Old 18 July 2016, 20:37   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Tarbert to Glencoe 30nm....?
Old 19 July 2016, 08:37   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Sounds like a really good test for a folding RIB.
Best of British with the Challenge

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 12:58   #4

I think some of the distances are out but I do hope some of you will join me on the water supporting this!

Dave
Old 19 July 2016, 14:27   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonmarine View Post
I think some of the distances are out but I do hope some of you will join me on the water supporting this!

Dave
Some of the "routing" is seriously out too. I'm not meaning him any dis-service and wish him luck but I'd suggest he take the time to plot out those legs (exactly as described) on a map. If his route is credible people are more likely to accompany him. [I'd start by looking to see where the Crinan Canal is!]
Old 19 July 2016, 14:37   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Some of the "routing" is seriously out too. I'm not meaning him any dis-service and wish him luck but I'd suggest he take the time to plot out those legs (exactly as described) on a map. If his route is credible people are more likely to accompany him. [I'd start by looking to see where the Crinan Canal is!]

Yep got to support everything Poly says. I question his route planning plus it's not round Britain as he's going thro Caledonia canal.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 14:44   #7

Hi

He is not actually going through it due to time Jambo. I am also not sure how far or when he will get up here but like all things for charity and boats we are happy to support it in any way we can.

I take it you will be joining though!
Old 19 July 2016, 14:58   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
why ?
Old 19 July 2016, 15:42   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Hi

He is not actually going through it due to time Jambo. I am also not sure how far or when he will get up here but like all things for charity and boats we are happy to support it in any way we can.

Dave if I am up at the time he passes happy to support. But I do think he has to amend his challenge route though.
I wish him every success in his endeavour.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 16:05   #10

Poly

Its a great thing to do, i think it will be fun and my comment sorry was aimed at Jambo. as I would really like to see his boat sitting next to our redbay (sold and going after the event and yes I am not happy) and seeing the difference . Jambo I am guessing knows the waters even better than me so that would be a nice plus as well. there will also be an arctic 22 with 150 twin etecs and I think a 7m coded humber.

last but not least it is always good to put names to faces! Having said that being a big fat guy if you want to see what I look like just look at the back end of a bus!
Old 12 August 2016, 16:35   #11

less than 10 days to go. no betting please on how far he will get as rumour has it every leg has been taken!
Old 12 August 2016, 22:44   #12

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
less than 10 days to go. no betting please on how far he will get.....
Well I hope the weather improves for the challenge cos I've been in the Caly canal for the last 10 days and it's rained every day and presently is chucking it down and windy.
Old 13 August 2016, 06:17   #13

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
My best wishes to the Guy doing the challenge Dave..and I personally cant think of a better charity to try and raise money for...I give it a donation every year since my mother died of cancer. I will give a donation this year too..and possibly through this challenge.

In any real challenge there will always be negative remarks from those who would not dream of doing the type of challenge themselves.

Rather than be put down by any negativity shown .. be inspired by true adventurers like Freya Hoffmeiser who has paddled her kayak ..alone .. round great continents..in seas some would not dream of going out in their RIBs

Freya Hoffmeister: About

Therefore I hope the guy uses any negativity to spur him on in his quest.. weather dependent ..it is very possible

Do keep safety in mind though..and better a day or two late than being unsafe if conditions are not favourable.

Im sure he has things well sussed out by now..but a couple of tips for the F Rib..that may have been overlooked is.. ensure the seat is well secured..it annoyed me initially.. sliding up and down the fixture rails ..until I tied it so it couldnt move..it will also need to be well forward ..so ensure he has a decent tiller extension.

Also make sure there is a good grab rail to hang onto..something that was lacking in my F Rib.. I have no problem in rough water with my wee F Rib 275 ..so suspect the boat is very capable in favorable conditions.

I was a bit skeptical about the big front spray covers of the F Rib..but having seen them in action in F4-F5 conditions..make sure he has one if he can...it makes things a lot more comfortable.

If Im in the area ..I will try to get along..but I have a busy schedule myself this year..including a hospital appointment during the challenge legs on the west of Scotland

Best luck guys
Old 13 August 2016, 11:22   #14

Gunard- The boat he is using has been converted to a proper helm with wheel etc.

Wish him well on journey.
Old 17 August 2016, 07:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Gunard- The boat he is using has been converted to a proper helm with wheel etc.

Wish him well on journey.
Hi Xk59D..thanks for that info..I was going by the official website and the section called “The Boat” which shows a bog standard F Rib.

The Boat - The Round Britain Endeavour

Therefore if your info is correct..IMO ..that is a bit of a poor show from the guy..not updating his funding web site ? Not that customising the boat is an issue in my eyes..but its misleading to me who is considering putting my own donation to MacMillan’s through this challenge.

However..could you post a link to where you saw this info..as I would be interested in seeing photos of the actual boat he is using ?

For anyone doubting the boats capability.. I have had the smallest bog standard F-Rib 275 out in “Cat C” conditions ..( 2 meter waves up to Force 6 winds ) ... powered by my 6hp engine ..and it handles those conditions just fine. Im also heavily laden with camping gear for multi day trips as I continue my own quest to go round the west of Scotland in this small boat..so his boat should do it...assuming reasonable weather.

Im not sure of the benefits of a console and seat or even a 25hp engine in those types of conditions though ..as I can only go as fast as the following waves allow .. or displacement speeds heading into them..not for comfort sake but for safety sake..a small boat charging into a 2 meter wall of water at 25 knots is going to loose every time.. in my experience of small boats anyhoo.

For interest and info only...

Here are the mods to my wee Guppy.. yup ..I have made a couple ...a rear tarp to help keep the sea out the rear of the F Rib 275 ..and it also helps to keep my camping gear in the boat. The front canopy which helps keep spray out..but bigger waves will come under it ..so bailing is still a must.

And some sea condition photos to back up my claims of Cat C conditions in the Sound of Mull. Keeping in mind that seas never look as bad from photos .. that I can only risk the camera at certain times and not at the crux of the weather conditions..but hopefully you get the idea. So unless conditions get far worse than Cat C conditions..which is very possible.. the F Rib will have no problems in a heavy sea.. but I suspect..not as fast as the guy doing the challenge may think ?

Oh..and perhaps I should also add that my support boat on this leg ..paddled by my pensioner pall ..handles the conditions well as well..but he is certainly no Freya Hoffmeister..in either accomplishments..or looks

As mentioned previously..I wish the challenge every success and have posted this to hopefully help motivate through the troughs of such a challenge.

My own challenge is for enjoyment only..but Im lucky..I am not tied to any time table. ..Im too old for them..but still enjoy tide tables
Old 17 August 2016, 08:49   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Therefore I hope the guy uses any negativity to spur him on in his quest.. weather dependent ..it is very possible
Quote:
I was going by the official website and the section called “The Boat” which shows a bog standard F Rib.

The Boat - The Round Britain Endeavour

Therefore if your info is correct..IMO ..that is a bit of a poor show from the guy..not updating his funding web site ? Not that customising the boat is an issue in my eyes..but its misleading to me who is considering putting my own donation to MacMillan’s through this challenge.
That'll spur him on a bit!
Old 17 August 2016, 09:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That'll spur him on a bit!
Yup..I hope so Willk.. its only my opinion..but keeping folks informed is as important as doing the challenge..so if its lacking it can be rectified.

Perhaps its not even the guy doing the actual challenge that has that responsibility..but someone should do it

Of course..that is only valid if it is a modified F -Rib..that can no longer do the Folding bit.. thats why Im hoping to see the updated boat..as I have not seen any other info on it ..and it start soon
Old 17 August 2016, 09:17   #18
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Of course..that is only valid if it is a modified F -Rib..that can no longer do the Folding bit.. thats why Im hoping to see the updated boat..as I have not seen any other info on it ..and it start soon
Sometimes a bit of modification is required on these novelty craft challenges - for example, I bet that lad who steamed the bathtub from Ireland to Scotland sikaflexed the plug in!
Old 17 August 2016, 09:47   #19

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A bit of research Gurnard and I found this...

https://www.facebook.com/mrc2015/pho...type=3&theater

I agree re the lack of a News page on the website which could have regular enthusing updates and been an involving promotional resource... seems they are using Facebook for that purpose but we don't all use Facebook!
Old 17 August 2016, 10:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Sometimes a bit of modification is required on these novelty craft challenges - for example, I bet that lad who steamed the bathtub from Ireland to Scotland sikaflexed the plug in!
Yup..thats why I say..a modification wasn’t an issue.. but IMO ..keeping folks informed is important if you want to raise money. Im not knocking the actual challenge in the slightest..it will be a very difficult one ..and I hope a very do able one.. for raising money for MacMillans.

I guess what Im trying to do is to highlight that because Im a stingy Scotsman..I want some information (entertainment) in return for my hard earned donation.

When Whisper did his challenge and won over everyone’s hearts (and money).. everyone was kept informed... the post was kept alive...by Whisper and his friends..sponsors..you name them..everyone got involved..the result was a resounding success.

So..I think ..if my recent ramblings on here have awoken this thread..as at least three folks have read it since I posted ..you are one of those willk... so perhaps someone may now be made aware ..who were not aware before...and think of donating to MacMillan’s

After all..isnt that what a “challenge for charity” is really about? Making folks aware.. keeping them informed .. doing the challenge..and getting the folding type of money in at the end.

If its not done that way..then its just a personal challenge..like I have set myself ?

So come on Dave (AshtonMarine) come back and keep this thread alive.. give information..keep us updated. Perhaps even get the challenge guy to say a few words ...If it was one of my threads..and I wanted your money .. it would say...to be continued

Hey thanks Fenlander..you posted after I composed this ..so will check the link Just saw the photo..and its a standared F Rib. I expected to see something like the sprung seat and big console after reading Xk59D comment. Think I personally would prefer a tiller extension..but thats just me