Old 13 May 2007, 06:30   #31

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Lurcher,

That brings back some memories. For a couple of years two of us used to exit via the Chi bar on 4 meter Seariders. Had some rough days just like you there. Looks like you were getting wet. Well done for persevering I bet you earned your meal when you got to RIBEX.
We used to battle out to the first marker, about 1/2 mile off land and decide if we were going to go on. It usually eased off after the first marker but if it didn't then you knew you were in for some bad stuff.
Thats probably why the RNLI station is situated in the entrance.
Likewise the RNLI station at langston.

Old 13 May 2007, 09:32   #32

Town: bicester, Oxford
Boat name: mach1
Make: avon SR5.4
Engine: 90hp yamaha
Big seas little boat

I went across to ribex from southampton yesterday at 12-1230pm, in what was the biggest seas i have ever been out in (on my own).

I hope you dont think i am exaguating when i say some were 3m and higher, and very close togeather, it is safe to say i have a lot more confidence in my searider.. I reakoned from a safety point of view as long as i had it pointed in the right direction preventing broaching, and took it nice and slow i would be safe.

After about 25mins of pure concentration i realised my speed had risen to between 15-18knots and i was starting to enjoy it, the whole trip still took me 55 mins from southampton, and i was very wet, but what a learning curve.

When i landed at Ribex the first though on my mind was i needed a bigger rib!!! but i believe the only real issues with the searider, the first is its width very narrow, this made for a bumby ride in the rougher seas BUT it did not feel as if i was going over and secondly the bow is not upturned like most ribs again i cant see how that would make other ribs perform better i just meant i got wetter..

Thank fully on the way back, it was noticebly carmer, waves only 1-1/2 mtrs, after my new found confidence in the searider i was approaching 25-30kts with a big smile on my face and lots of air..

Great day (bit scary though)

Old 13 May 2007, 10:26   #33
RIBnet supporter

Town: Tisted Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
MMSI: 235
Send a message via MSN to LURCHER
Vid

WET you can say that again , I had great pleasure in telling my eldest son who works for Gill at boat shows that the Gill suit I was wearing was rubbish as I was soaked through. Looked like I had peed myself when we arrived at Cowes .He then pointed out that had I done up the zip I would have been a lot drier! I was so cold I went into Cowes High St and bought a Musto fleece just to piss him off .
Old 13 May 2007, 11:42   #34

Town: hants
Boat name: Viper
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 opti
MMSI: 235 036 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
WET you can say that again , I had great pleasure in telling my eldest son who works for Gill at boat shows that the Gill suit I was wearing was rubbish as I was soaked through. Looked like I had peed myself when we arrived at Cowes .He then pointed out that had I done up the zip I would have been a lot drier! I was so cold I went into Cowes High St and bought a Musto fleece just to piss him off .
funny that, we had wet patches in just the same places as well!
Old 13 May 2007, 13:37   #35

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Jardon View Post
i think it was you with two passengers and you all had helments on? we saw you i think near the entrance to chi harbour.

i was hovering around debating whether to give it a go or call it quits, just did not fancy being slammed about for miles in that !

i think i am a fair weather boater!!
We had helmets on but were travelling across from Langstone so probably not us.
Quite an eventful day bit uncomfortable on the way across and we did contemplate a stop off at Portsmouth for a breather but decided to press on.
The journey back was great a 20 mile surf !
Big respect to Becky and children and of course to the wee boat.