Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 November 2009, 03:45   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,194
looking forward to it!!
__________________

__________________
matt h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2009, 11:16   #12
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,271
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
looking forward to it!!
Good man!.. Weather 'looking' OK,be good to see how the 'Tweeks' on you're new RIB work out Matt!! Anyone else fancy an outing is welcome to join us.
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2009, 15:55   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
..... and if there's good food involved, Mrs A and I could always be tempted to make our first full trans Lyme Bay crossing!
Hi Avocet - are you still seriously considering going for this? If you are, have you any timing in mind as yet?
I'm very tempted to try and do the run with you -but I'd have thought it's three hours each way from Poole to Dartmouth in good weather, and any delays would mean getting back in the dark. Am I being over pessimistic?
Trevor
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2009, 20:06   #14
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyLizzy View Post
Am I being over pessimistic?
Trevor
Ah. Now you're asking.......

Kids' taxi runs and commitments etc. make Saturday problematic but do-able for me alone. Mrs A and I also have an engagement (already postponed once) which we need to make for the evening. Saturday is, therefore, not looking good for both of us but a possibility for me solo.

Sunday, however, looks better in the diary, (although Mrs A still has another evening 'do' - oh this hectic social whirl!): the distance is slightly further than Alderney from Poole (not a lot) so I'd reckon under three hours in reasonable weather: leave Poole at 8.00am and arrive in Dartmouth in good time for an early lunch (and a beer or two!).

Problem is that even if you believe Matthew's optimism in good weather for the weekend (I don't - but it's still a few days away!) the shifting winds (E - W) between today and the weekend are going to stir up the seas and I think it's going to make a very lumpy crossing across Lyme Bay. The rounding of Portland will tell for sure but I reckon that go/no go will be dictated before then.

Even so, an early start from Poole would get us there for lunch. A lumpy sea on the way back might mean the last bit in darkness but that bit is well lit (lighthouses, buoys etc) and I've done it sufficient number of times in the day to feel confident to do it in the the dark. The tides mean that I can't get back into the marina before 4.00pm on Sunday so it will be nearly dark by then anyway.

All the above make Mrs A's involvement unlikely (she does like her creature comforts and crossing Lyme Bay in lumpy seas and cold weather aren't part of it!) but I'm very keen to try it and Scurvy Crew has expressed an interest so, with or even without him, I'd certainly be keen try it - especially with a second boat in company (although very much with a view to bailing out if conditions were dodgy).

Let me know what you think!
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2009, 03:58   #15
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,271
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Glad to see you re still thinking of joining us Dave,it's a bit of a slapp for this time of year mate!and the weather is a lot more relevant to you,with the long distances involved,especially in a one day cruise.The other option is trailering down on the Saturday and making an early start with us on Sunday?
Either way, looking forward to seeing you[and Trevor]if he can make it.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2009, 17:50   #16
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Problem is that even if you believe Matthew's optimism in good weather for the weekend (I don't - but it's still a few days away!) the shifting winds (E - W) between today and the weekend are going to stir up the seas and I think it's going to make a very lumpy crossing across Lyme Bay. The rounding of Portland will tell for sure but I reckon that go/no go will be dictated before then.

Even so, an early start from Poole would get us there for lunch. A lumpy sea on the way back might mean the last bit in darkness but that bit is well lit (lighthouses, buoys etc) and I've done it sufficient number of times in the day to feel confident to do it in the the dark. The tides mean that I can't get back into the marina before 4.00pm on Sunday so it will be nearly dark by then anyway.

Let me know what you think!
I've just seen the weather forecast on TV and there are severe wind and rain warnings out for Friday for the South coast. Not sure as yet what Sunday will bring but I can't say I'm optimistic that the sea state will be suitable for a rapid crossing of Lyme Bay on the way back - with Portland Bill to cope with in the dark if there are any problems!
Let's see what the options are nearer the time, but as I'd need another hour to get Dizzy to Poole from Southampton (and back) on Sunday I don't think I'll sensibly be able to make Dartmouth as a day trip in dodgy weather.
Maybe if Dartmouth is not feasible we can still get out somewhere on Sunday though? ...... let's see later in the week.
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.