Old 29 April 2009, 12:28   #161

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
now home ...thanks for the encouragement ....weak as a kitten though .....and wife is nagging ....never slept so much in years and the drugs i'm on means i cant go far from a loo ....whole face and head still knumb from the op ....downside to that i got a bit of my skull removed and if i press it seems weird cause i cant feel it ....also got drain tubes that i need to get removed in about 5-6 weeks...got rid of the Rab C nesbit bandage and stiches out today

hospital food is really shite rig food is far better....but having not ate for 3 days i was glad of the porridge

IOM is still a bit off so will see how i am in a few weeks

cheers

Ian

Glad to hear your making such good progress. I hope you didn't sport a string vest to finish off the Rab C look!
Old 30 April 2009, 23:31   #162

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
.... i got a bit of my skull removed....
Did you get to keep the boney bit?
Thought you may be able to fettle it into an ashtray or something?

Get well & back out on the water soon
Old 01 May 2009, 15:44   #163

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siochair View Post
Glad to hear your making such good progress. I hope you didn't sport a string vest to finish off the Rab C look!
I actually know who Rab C character was based on. He wasn't quite the articulate man about town that Rab C was but it is a real person.
Old 01 May 2009, 15:51   #164
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I actually know who Rab C character was based on. He wasn't quite the articulate man about town that Rab C was but it is a real person.

Is that a confession Bruce?
Old 01 May 2009, 16:25   #165

If you ever were on the night buses in Glasgow, especially the 12:30 to renfrew about 15 years ago you would know exactly who I was talking about.
I am afraid I was too young and good looking at the time for it to be me.....
Old 01 May 2009, 16:55   #166

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Well I can confirm his skills at operating a mini excavator are best described as 'poor'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Did you get to keep the boney bit?
Thought you may be able to fettle it into an ashtray or something?
Macabre, but I like your thinking dai

Very glad to hear you are on the mend Ian Take care now
Old 01 May 2009, 19:11   #167
JSP

Quote:
If you ever were on the night buses in Glasgow, especially the 12:30 to renfrew about 15 years ago you would know exactly who I was talking about.
I am afraid I was too young and good looking at the time for it to be me.....
All I know fo the night buses in Glasgow are from Billy Connelly's description. Sound like fun!
Old 01 May 2009, 22:00   #168

When Billy Connelly was actually a Scot he used to be funny, although I use to work with folk who knew him from Partick before he was famous and weren't very complimentary about him then either.....
Old 02 May 2009, 10:49   #169
JSP

Quote:
When Billy Connelly was actually a Scot he used to be funny, although I use to work with folk who knew him from Partick before he was famous and weren't very complimentary about him then either.....
His early stand up is the best and I've heard he has his anti fans. At one point he managed to upset half of scotland didn't he? Then there was the Auzzy scots who tried to linch mob him. He's just an old hippy with a quick tounge but I like his out look on life
Old 02 May 2009, 11:17   #170

Originally he was one of us, now he is one of them.
It is one thing to take the p**s when you are part of something but another to stand outside and p**s all over the folk still there.
Sir Sean is another, "Being a Scot" indeed. When was the last time he lived here!
I personally am Canadian born but since I haven't lived there for over 20 years I can hardly feel justified in telling everyone there how to vote and everything they are doing wrong......
Don't get me started...............
Old 02 May 2009, 11:45   #171
JSP

Quote:
Originally he was one of us, now he is one of them.
It is one thing to take the p**s when you are part of something but another to stand outside and p**s all over the folk still there.
Sir Sean is another, "Being a Scot" indeed. When was the last time he lived here!
I personally am Canadian born but since I haven't lived there for over 20 years I can hardly feel justified in telling everyone there how to vote and everything they are doing wrong......
Don't get me started...............
I can see where your coming from there.
Old 02 May 2009, 20:49   #172

Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally he was one of us, now he is one of them
Money changes people .. few can have it, and remember that
Old 05 May 2009, 10:50   #173

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Definately not coming now ......got some results back today and looks like im heading into the southern general for another op consultants know how tp put a dampener on things.

hope everyone has a great time

all the best

Ian
Old 05 May 2009, 11:01   #174
JSP

Quote:
Definately not coming now ......got some results back today and looks like im heading into the southern general for another op consultants know how tp put a dampener on things.

hope everyone has a great time

all the best

Ian
Ian, there's many seasons to come, just got to sit the first part of this one out mate. I know what it's like when your health holds you back. Take good care mate and just think of the nurses who'll have to look after you after the next Op

I think another RIBnet gathering up in your part of the world should be put together for later in the season.
Old 06 May 2009, 20:25   #175

We still have a few trips planned for this summer after IOM.
Ullapool early July and orkney Aug. These are definitely on as holidays, ferries and houses booked and paid for!
You could always come along if you are fit by then, especially Ullapool as it is a long weekend trip camping!
Old 13 May 2009, 11:47   #176

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
The plan is to leave Conwy at 10 to 1030. After launching, can all boats head upriver 800 yards to Conwy Quay which is the departure point.

We'll be at the slip on Friday and early Saturday for anyone who needs help launching and Sunday evening for recovery. If recovering bigger boats at lowish water, it sometimes takes two trucks to pull them out.

Channel 8 for contact with myself or GED but any of the safety boats will answer to Mustang 1 to 4

The riverbed is sand and stone so back up well away from the trailer before turning. Also beware of the pontoon just yards upriver from the slip. If the current is strong, it's easy to get swept into it if you're slow getting off the trailer.

Can every one arrive with full tanks as there will be no time to fill up in the Marina unless you launch early. Obviously, with a lot of boats to get in, launching needs to be quick and efficent.

The HM has asked us to give regard to the local boats launching. Speed limit in the river is 8 knots.

When we leave the river, we'll be going straight out over the sands which can only be done at high water. All other times you need to use the buoyed channel.

It's then a straight line to Douglas with no hazards enroute apart from the odd ferry. There will be a lead boat and two sweeper boats. If we're on time and all in order, we'll do a rolling start poker run style.

If anyone needs fuel in Douglas, let me know how much by pm.

All we need now is the right weather. If the weather is bad, we'll probably go down the straits for a feast somewhere.

If anyone who wants to go but is boatless, let me know and I'll try and fix something up.
What time do you envisage setting out from Conwy on the sunday for the round anglesey trip. Myself and another member Tim will come up and join you at puffin island if you go anti clockwise. Which way round are you going? As we are by beamaris/menai on the straits.
Old 13 May 2009, 12:10   #177
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
What time do you envisage setting out from Conwy on the sunday for the round anglesey trip.
Probably around 1030-11. Round the island clockwise. Coffee and scones at Naomis in Beaumaris is a favourite stop off of ours.

Anyone who has room for the odd passenger, please let me know by pm.

No-one has pm'd requesting fuel in Douglas so we'll take it that everyone can do the round trip on what they carry.

Not long to go now so I'll post a final briefing soon.
Old 13 May 2009, 12:14   #178

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Hi All,

Booked into the Gazelle Friday and Saturday and intending to launch from Menaii or Beaumaris. From reading the earlier posts it looks like it might be more straightforward and cause less congestion to meet a tPuffin Island fro the IOM trip and round Anglesey?

Is there anyone else booked in the Gazelle launching at either slip? If so can we sort a meet time out and then maybe agree to get to Puffin to meet the rest?

I understand sand banks etc can be an issue, so anyone that's familiar here would be a useful person to follow before I knock my skeg off in a fit of over enthusiasm on the throttle
Old 13 May 2009, 12:19   #179

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM View Post
Probably around 1030-11. Round the island clockwise. Coffee and scones at Naomis in Beaumaris is a favourite stop off of ours.

Anyone who has room for the odd passenger, please let me know by pm.

No-one has pm'd requesting fuel in Douglas so we'll take it that everyone can do the round trip on what they carry.

Not long to go now so I'll post a final briefing soon.
Hi, I'd like to add my thanks for doing all the sorting re this. Any chance you can post details of what/who/where we need to go to register so we can launch without any hassle, or is that just me being lazy? If it is please just tell me to search on't net and I'll sort it

Ta
Old 13 May 2009, 12:35   #180
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Any chance you can post details of what/who/where we need to go to register so we can launch without any hassle
Launching at Conwy is free and doesn't require registration for this trip. Just have your insurance docs handy if any of the HM staff want to see it. For those launching at Menai, Port Daniel boatyard, which is adjacent to the slip,(see Terry)will do you a tractor launch and look after your trailer for a fee. If you launch yourself, trailer storage is £6. Beaumaris slip is OK but don't know what the charges are for it and the trailer storage is not secure.