Old 13 May 2009, 15:05   #181

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
i'll be heading out from bangor pier/gazelle hotel about 9.45 am to head for puffin and see the flotilla head to the horizon for IOM (can't follow sorry). The route out is easy if you follow the bouys, but please, anyone feel free to join me as it is my local haunt up the straits.

If it is a clockwise jaunt round anglesey on sunday, i'll see you at beaumaris pier at 10.30.

Point of warning. Going clockwise round the island, if the tide is lowish to middle, stick to the channel by the spit/headland which is after beaumaris, (ABC boatyard). The reef comes right out towards the bouy and the sandbanks the other side. This is one of the narrowest points of the straits at low water (20m) Yet very wide from coast to coast at high (mile or so).
Old 13 May 2009, 16:19   #182

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Thanks for the reply Paul and the PMs, the way this is going you will be on free beer all weekend See you on both days I guess all being well
Old 14 May 2009, 10:05   #183
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warrington/Anglesey
Make: Menai 480SR.
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsoooooooo 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Any chance you can post details of what/who/where we need to go to register so we can launch without any hassle,

Ta
Anglesey county council operate a register system. You need to send a copy of your insurance and a cheque for £15, http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=2410 you will then receive a registration sticker, if you don’t have the sticker the use of the council slips is not allowed Once you have registered it will then cost you £13 a day to launch.

You could always take a chance as both the Menai Bridge and Beaumaris slips are not always manned in the morning. It is also possible to put the boat in at the Gazelle very carefully, depending on what truck you have. I hope this helps.

On the Sunday I will be launching at Menai Bridge or Beaumaris or Bychan Beach. I will meet up with you guys and the rest off the gang off Puffin Island.
yoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2009, 07:50   #184

Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Anglesey county council operate a register system. You need to send a copy of your insurance and a cheque for £15, http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=2410 you will then receive a registration sticker, if you don’t have the sticker the use of the council slips is not allowed Once you have registered it will then cost you £13 a day to launch.
Just to add that the North Wales councils will all accept each other's registration. This means that if you are registered with Denbighshire, Gwynedd or Conwy county councils, you don't need to register with Anglesey, you can just pay the daily launch fee.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Tim
Old 15 May 2009, 10:54   #185

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
I am easily confussed....

Could someone just confrim what registration will be required for the 2 days of activities?
I thought a previous post stated that for this weekend, those involved did not need to register.

Just an observation that others might want to consider, my insurance is for UK coastal waters, which is up to 12miles off-shore. The IOM trip will exceed this, so eamiled my insurer (Porthcawl) with trip details and they have noted it and am covered. Would'nt do any harm to check yours.

Steve
Old 15 May 2009, 12:10   #186

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
insurance?

Good point re insurance, hence im only going round the island on Sunday (Dad put the kaibosh on plans to go outside the insurance with friends! his boat after all) Our insurance only goes 9 mile offshore and can't be extended.

Regards licences for launching etc. Having launched at menai bridge for 20 years, I have never seen anyone from the council asking for money and we have never had a licence????

Elswhere i can't comment.
Old 15 May 2009, 12:18   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
I am easily confussed....

Could someone just confrim what registration will be required for the 2 days of activities?
I thought a previous post stated that for this weekend, those involved did not need to register.

Steve
I'll try to clarify the registration for launching....

Dave Manning and Ged have arranged that folks can launch at Conwy without registering - this is a special arrangement for the event. If you are launching from any other council slipway in County Conwy or Anglesey, you should be registered. However, if you are already registered with one of the N.Wales councils, you won't need to register for another, you just have to pay the daily launch fee. None of this applies to private slipways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Regards licences for launching etc. Having launched at menai bridge for 20 years, I have never seen anyone from the council asking for money and we have never had a licence????

Elswhere i can't comment.
The slip at Menai Bridge is (as far as I know) a council slipway, so officially needs registration. I've not used it personally, so I'm not sure how rigorously it's enforced. Last I heard, it was being managed by Porth Daniel.
Old 16 May 2009, 08:07   #188
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
I'll try to clarify the registration for launching....

Last I heard, it was being managed by Porth Daniel.
This is correct, yes they collect launching fees for the Council but not too rigorously as Porth Daniel's premises are 150m down the road from the slip so they don’t hang around there all day.

They are back and to launching and recovering boats with their tractor. They also own the "new" large car & trailer park opposite the slip....6 quid a day.
Old 16 May 2009, 10:09   #189

Town: Worcester
Boat name: MASH II
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yam 300hp 2 stroke
MMSI: 235064952
IOM Cruise - Insurance

FYI

I have just checked my insurance with my insurer ( Towergate Mardon ) to find I was only covered for 12nm offshore . I have just upgraded this to :

Continental Waters - Brest to River Elbe

which coverers me for British Isles ( including French / German Waters ).

My insurance is due for renewal 13/7/09 and for this cover from now until renewal they have not charged me and are sending me a new cert. to show for this trip. I have been warned if I wanted to keep this on renewal there would be a small increase in premium ( about 5% ) .

Hope this helps.

Adam.
Old 16 May 2009, 21:43   #190

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Convoy

Where are we meeting for the run down then? Bothwell Services or further on?
We will be leaving pretty early on Friday and expect to be passing Bothwell around 10:00-10:30.
Just starting to work out times just now so we know when we need to leave, how long it will take etc.
How many are we going to have going south? 3? 4?
Maybe we should keep the handheld VHF's handy for the road down?
Old 17 May 2009, 23:13   #191

Caravan/camp sites

Hi guys,
Does anyone know of any decent caravan/campsites around the area?
As I won't be bringing my RIB (due to it being tiny) I'm going to be bringing the caravan instead, but need some ideas!

Ta,
Tim
Old 18 May 2009, 07:43   #192

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
"Does anyone know of any decent caravan/campsites around the area?
As I won't be bringing my RIB (due to it being tiny) I'm going to be bringing the caravan instead, but need some ideas!"

Blimey Tim

Are you going to do some "Top Gear" type stunt? You'll need an lage amount of expanding foam and a bloody big engine to get a caravan across to Douglas .........
Look forward to the launch
Old 18 May 2009, 17:29   #193

Quote:
As I won't be bringing my RIB (due to it being tiny) I'm going to be bringing the caravan instead, but need some ideas!
Tubes round the edges and an outboard on the towhitch?
At least the helm will be nice and dry if its raining and can make a cuppa..........
Old 20 May 2009, 16:45   #194

Town: Stoke-on-Trent
Boat name: Dragon Fly
Make: Brig 645
Engine: Verado 150
Tim

you could try Conwy Touring Park.

Not the cheapest of places but 5 mins drive from the slip and it has got a pub on site.

http://www.conwytouringpark.com/

Andy
Old 20 May 2009, 20:02   #195

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Sun Dry
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 75
Bull Bay - IOM

Have been following the IOM thread with great interest, as we have been thinking about going over there for some time, just for the day. As you all seem to know what your doing, we thought we might time it with your trip, if thats ok with you chaps?
It always gives you a bit of reassurance if you think there is someone else not too far away.
We are two ribs of about 5.5m, with 6 or 7 bods onboard, and hope to be launching from Bull Bay (Anglesey) 9am - 9.30am Sat 6.
We'll just be going at a sedate pace, as fuel has just gone up!!! and are really really hoping for a nice calm day (nothing above f3), as my rib tends to do backward flips in headwinds, hence extra human ballast!!!
We prob wont make vis contact as we're quite a way over to the west, but may be about 5mls apart 2/3rds the way there.
We'll be monitoring ch 8 & 16 and hopefully survive to say a quick hello in Douglas.
Hope you all have a good trip there and back, and the weather behaves itself.
Old 20 May 2009, 20:42   #196
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Quote:
Hi guys,
Does anyone know of any decent caravan/campsites around the area?

Ta,
Tim
May be you would like to stay in our trailer compound, and keep an eye on our gear....
Old 20 May 2009, 21:05   #197
GED

In a panic

With only just over 2 weeks left now to the Rib-net Cruise I'm now in a panic!..........Not for the cruise (thats all sorted) but with the final build of my rib!.... Im due to finish her this Saturday and possible sea trails over the weekend subject to the stainless being finished. It looks like her maiden voyage will be to the Isle of Man or what ever is install for us that week end. Look forward to seeing you all......GED......
Old 20 May 2009, 21:30   #198

I am starting to flap as well, still to check over the trailer as I am having car trouble at the mo. Decided to put in a new radiator and rear exhaust just in case as they were both a bit ropey.
Radiator fine, no problems. Cuts off exhaust puts up new one, oops, doesn't fit!
Instead of £80 for a pattern part it seems the boxes for my particular car are as rare as rocking horse s**t. Had to buy one from Jeep at £230! Still sweating to get it up here just in case this one doesn't fit either cos the original pattern part is supposed to be correct.
Is there anything happening Friday evening? I assume, like us, there will be some folk arriving the friday and staying over?
Old 20 May 2009, 22:33   #199
GED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Is there anything happening Friday evening? I assume, like us, there will be some folk arriving the friday and staying over?
yes beer in the pub on the marina
Old 21 May 2009, 06:57   #200
RIBnet supporter

Isn’t the marina pub were Bruce Jones AKA Les Battersby used to hang out as well as in the Rovers Return