Old 01 February 2015, 16:27   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The 2015 Round Britain Cannonball Run

Maybe people have just decided that they can find adventure without needing an organised pseudo-race to accomplish it!
Old 01 February 2015, 16:45   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Maybe people have just decided that they can find adventure without needing an organised pseudo-race to accomplish it!

+1 I prefer to make my own adventures, rather than pay someone to do it for me.......are we having fun yet?

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2015, 17:07   #23

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
+1 I prefer to make my own adventures, rather than pay someone to do it for me.......are we having fun yet?

.....sh1t happens.......

so its true you are tight fisted then well start saving for May
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2015, 21:23   #24

Town: Midhurst
Boat name: Nil
Make: Nil
Length: no boat
Engine: Nil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Not that the event was my cup of tea, but it seems to me that posting something up that is all a bit clandestine and you need to attend a meeting to find out the plan seems destined to fail.

Perhaps the cost of attending a meeting pales into insignificance once you have to shell out for fuel for the actual trip. But having to shell out to find out if its what you want to do is crazy.

It also means someone interested from Europe or even further is less likely...

A plan that is so loose as was described also risks drifting into no one making decisions.

If you really wanted this to work you'd have been better publixally posting a plan, an estimated minimum cost, optional extras that might be considered with estimated costs and a WebEx to discuss...
As we organised the most successful Round Britain Race of all time with 47 entries back in 2008 (IMHO) and had two very successful meetings beforehand, we are not exactly new at this type of event and had sent out info on how the Run was going to be organised and run to every person and team who showed "interest" - some 23 in total. Why this should be considered "clandestine" I have no idea. From our experience if you make an event like this totally public all you get is criticism and abuse so we decided to keep the info only available to those who were really interested.

As it was a completely new idea we needed to talk to the teams to see what THEY wanted from the event. It was being put together only for those who wanted to do the Run round GB, no one else. Although the whole thing has been cancelled because of only five entries, there are a few teams who have requested that I keep those dates open as they will be going anyway. Good for them I say and so I might yet be proved wrong that the "spirit of adventure" is dead after all which would be very good news.
Old 01 February 2015, 21:34   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Why this should be considered "clandestine" I have no idea. From our experience if you make an event like this totally public all you get is criticism and abuse so we decided to keep the info only available to those who were really interested.
Can't imagine how that failed to work for you?

Quote:
....there are a few teams who have requested that I keep those dates open as they will be going anyway. Good for them I say and so I might yet be proved wrong that the "spirit of adventure" is dead after all which is very good news.
And so you join HMS in the ranks of those who planned a RB but saw the "competitors" set off without you.

IMO, in the days of GPS, mobile phones and the Internet, this kind of commercial "round somewhere" jolly is a dead duck - sort of Emperor's Clothes territory. Just saying...
Old 02 February 2015, 05:13   #26

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
so its true you are tight fisted then well start saving for May

Aye, you know what they say about Yorkshire men, just like a Scotsman but with all the generosity squeezed out o' him

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 02 February 2015, 08:19   #27

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Quote:
Aye, you know what they say about Yorkshire men, just like a Scotsman but with all the generosity squeezed out o' him

.....sh1t happens.......
You can always tell a Yorkshireman,------but you can't tell him much!
Old 02 February 2015, 10:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Can't imagine how that failed to work for you?

And so you join HMS in the ranks of those who planned a RB but saw the "competitors" set off without you.

IMO, in the days of GPS, mobile phones and the Internet, this kind of commercial "round somewhere" jolly is a dead duck - sort of Emperor's Clothes territory. Just saying...
I quite like Pikey Dave's quote here.

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience"!!
Old 02 February 2015, 11:38   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I quite like Pikey Dave's quote here.

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience"!!
An idiot! When did I get the promotion?

That's the trouble with idiots, they never know when they're beaten and I guess we'll never know how much cash the competitors participants would have had to shell out to motor around the UK together quickly. Anyway, cheer up Mike - it may seem to be a dead horse at the moment but your track record suggests that you'll flog another couple before you finally call it quits.

I'll expand of my initial comment and go out on a limb by saying that in this age, the idea of a few chaps taking boats around the UK fails to release the adrenalin. When people are parachuting from space, wing suiting from mountains, ballooning across oceans and sailing over them as fast as powerboats, a "round something" extravaganza is a bit pedestrian. I'd suggest that you're trying to relive your glory days but no-one else is buying in - literally.

Old 02 February 2015, 14:04   #30

Town: Poole
Quote:
a "round something" extravaganza is a bit pedestrian.
Better tell Alan Priddy to give up then
Old 02 February 2015, 14:20   #31
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey View Post
Better tell Alan Priddy to give up then
Good point! Apologies in advance to any upcoming Mars orbiters too!

Luckily Alan doesn't give up. He has struggled with sponsorship but in a global recession you have to admire his determination to make the impossible happen. That's even before the boat is built.
Old 02 February 2015, 15:41   #32

RIBase
Quote:
That's even before the boat is built.

again

.....sh1t happens.......
Old 02 February 2015, 18:35   #33

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
again

.....sh1t happens.......
fck me pikey u am like a pin H2O OR STILL TS 350
Old 02 February 2015, 20:30   #34

Length: 3m +
Quote:
As we organised the most successful Round Britain Race of all time with 47 entries back in 2008 (IMHO) and had two very successful meetings beforehand,
7 years on. Technology moves on.
I don't know if you had a plan ahead of the first 2008 race meeting but it sounded very very loose for this meeting...

Quote:
we are not exactly new at this type of event and had sent out info on how the Run was going to be organised and run to every person and team who showed "interest" - some 23 in total.
SO... 5 out of 23 were willing to attend ur meeting. If you could translate that interest rate you needed to draw in 10times that number.

Telling people virtually nothing in the modern world where everyone can find out anything in 3 clicks is not exactly going to help with that. What it says to me is that you don't know what the plan is...

Quote:
Why this should be considered "clandestine" I have no idea.
While you might not think it clandestine I employ some very expensive staff, minimum of masters degree and post grad qualification and years of training. Despite what should be very high skills asking them to pick up the phone can be like asking them to jump off a cliff. You created a barrier, perhaps unintentional...

Quote:
From our experience if you make an event like this totally public all you get is criticism and abuse so we decided to keep the info only available to those who were really interested.
...or perhaps intentional... Did you REALLY want the vaguely interested to come to a meeting and interfere in your plan...

Quote:
As it was a completely new idea we needed to talk to the teams to see what THEY wanted from the event.
And there in rests your problem. What was the event. You never really described it and always reverted to what the teams want... Yet a timetable was already written. Was it a race (by another name to avoid regs?) Was it a cruise in company? But what company because only three fixed locations on course? Was it supported? By what? Boats on water, fuel (where only 3 fixed locations). Was it a challenge? Why? Wasn't clear to me what size boat, what type boat, etc.

Quote:
It was being put together only for those who wanted to do the Run round GB, no one else.
Chicken or Egg First.

Quote:
Although the whole thing has been cancelled because of only five entries
Head scratch... What was the critical number to make it happen? Given that there was no promise of anything specific in terms of organisation?

I'm not sure I'm with willk on round something is no longer an adventure. I do agree that with all the modern gizmos its probably a darned sight easier. But people still walk / cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats for the challenge. The guys who did that 30 years ago have either ticked the box, or now take on new challenges. There will be plenty of people who would like to boat round Britain. Some in a group. Some alone. But do they want a timetable that is tight? Do they have the ££££ for fuel? If they do it for charity would people think it a challenge or a charity funded jolly. Plus the round some things in anything more than a day tend to have such huge legs you miss the good bits...

...give me a rib, £3k of Fuel and accommodation for 10days... What would I do with it? Doubt I'd go round UK.
Old 02 February 2015, 20:42   #35

Town: Nash Mills
Boat name: The Bandit
Make: Hunton
Length: 10m +
Engine: Inboard Petrols
Shinyshoe I am sorry but you must not criticise the organisers of such events they get very upset.

Or may be you were being abusive again that's not allowed in a society of free speech.

I have an idea next time an event might be proposed the organisers won't tell any one or anything about the event and then it should be a great success.
Old 02 February 2015, 21:08   #36
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunton69 View Post
Shinyshoe I am sorry but you must not criticise the organisers of such events they get very upset.
I seem to remember similar advice from Mrs Smilie. A relation perchance?
Old 03 February 2015, 05:35   #37

Town: Nash Mills
Boat name: The Bandit
Make: Hunton
Length: 10m +
Engine: Inboard Petrols
Quote:
I seem to remember similar advice from Mrs Smilie. A relation perchance?
I've been found out were having a secret affair. I hope Eric doesn't use ribnet
Old 03 February 2015, 11:44   #38

So glad that I have given you fellas something to gnaw and chew over. What ever would you do if HMS and I (and a few others) never posted and gave you something to criticise? Also excellent to see Hunton 69 crawling out again from under his log and quoting his favorite saying - "what about free speech". Never has forgiven me for saying that I saw him "Stuff" big time coming out of Edinburgh in the RB08!!

As Winston Churchill once said, "Never ever, ever, ever, ever, give up." So I will take his advice and will be back with another "jaunt" with something bigger for next year. However, as most of the "usual suspects" here are obviously not interested, don't think it cool or have't got the nerve for long distance endurance running I will just keep the info to those who are.

Seconds out! ..............
Old 03 February 2015, 12:45   #39

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Maybe the problem was you didn't seem very 'open or honest' about what even the high level plan was ?

And then you seem to blame 'only 5' entries as if its everyone else's fault for not supporting your idea (to provide an income for you ?).

How can you say - we are not new to this - organised the biggest event 47 entries etc etc

then in the same post

As it was a completely new idea we needed to talk to the teams to see what THEY wanted from the event

You've done it before but is a new idea - I think there is some confusion going on as to what you are actually doing ?

I'm left after reading this - five entries wont make you enough money so you binned it. Simple commercial decision dressed up as -

the spirit of adventure in Powerboating is dead

Old 07 February 2015, 09:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Maybe the problem was you didn't seem very 'open or honest' about what even the high level plan was ?

And then you seem to blame 'only 5' entries as if its everyone else's fault for not supporting your idea (to provide an income for you ?).

How can you say - we are not new to this - organised the biggest event 47 entries etc etc

then in the same post

As it was a completely new idea we needed to talk to the teams to see what THEY wanted from the event

You've done it before but is a new idea - I think there is some confusion going on as to what you are actually doing ?

I'm left after reading this - five entries wont make you enough money so you binned it. Simple commercial decision dressed up as -

the spirit of adventure in Powerboating is dead

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt as you have"!!