Click Here to Login

Old 27 August 2009, 11:19   #41

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Which website are you using? The only one that I can find to give info so far ahead is Metcheck which I don't find to be particularly reliable, even on a short term basis. It does, however, confirm the westerlies - albeit at 13mph.
Old 27 August 2009, 11:40   #42

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I agree with you Avocet, the most reliable I have found is XC weather which is French so maybe it would be better for your cruise. Anyway who ever you use have a great timme and stay safe!!'

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2009, 11:55   #43

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Which website are you using? The only one that I can find to give info so far ahead is Metcheck which I don't find to be particularly reliable, even on a short term basis. It does, however, confirm the westerlies - albeit at 13mph.
Yeah, Metcheck. I agree re. unreliability. However, a correlation of info given by several sites gives the wind stuck in the west, it's just a question of speed.
Old 27 August 2009, 18:51   #44

OK - still don't know what weather website Mollers is using but .....

armed with my new Imray C32 chart, Reeds Channel Almanac, a pair of dividers, Google earth and half a bottle of wine, I've been doing some calculations:

From the Fairway Buoy (50°38´.24N 01°38´.98W), I intend to aim for 48°40´.8N 01°07´.0W (being tidal diamond C on the chart and some 5M East of the Barfleur point to get outside the race and still remain to the West of the Transhipment Area. It also gives a straight safe transit to the entry mark for the St Vaast harbour). I reckon that the course to steer (for the western group) from the Fairway Buoy is 160°T and believe (from experience on the Alderney trip) that my comms will operate in good conditions at up to 15 miles.

If the Chichester group run parallel to us and aim for the same waypoint, I calculate that we should be within 15M of each other when we are 25M out (slightly further for the Chichester lot) or 2/5ths of the way across. If someone in the Chichester lot can operate at the same distance, we should at least be able to talk. At half way across we should be within 10M of each other.

I propose 'Norman Conquest' (having rejected 'Vaast Passage') as the group name and, as previously suggested, C77 for comms.

Anyone any thoughts?
Old 27 August 2009, 20:31   #45

Fingers crossed.
Old 27 August 2009, 21:13   #46

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Quote:
OK - still don't know what weather website Mollers is using but .....

armed with my new Imray C32 chart, Reeds Channel Almanac, a pair of dividers, Google earth and half a bottle of wine, I've been doing some calculations:

From the Fairway Buoy (50°38´.24N 01°38´.98W), I intend to aim for 48°40´.8N 01°07´.0W (being tidal diamond C on the chart and some 5M East of the Barfleur point to get outside the race and still remain to the West of the Transhipment Area. It also gives a straight safe transit to the entry mark for the St Vaast harbour). I reckon that the course to steer (for the western group) from the Fairway Buoy is 160°T and believe (from experience on the Alderney trip) that my comms will operate in good conditions at up to 15 miles.

If the Chichester group run parallel to us and aim for the same waypoint, I calculate that we should be within 15M of each other when we are 25M out (slightly further for the Chichester lot) or 2/5ths of the way across. If someone in the Chichester lot can operate at the same distance, we should at least be able to talk. At half way across we should be within 10M of each other.

I propose 'Norman Conquest' (having rejected 'Vaast Passage') as the group name and, as previously suggested, C77 for comms.

Anyone any thoughts?
David

Agree looking at the same chart tidal mark C looks the best recognised mark on the chart, then straight on to the SV mark, we are just waiting to see what happens with the weather.
Have a good BH weekend I'll start looking at weather predictions on Tuesday.

Mick
Old 28 August 2009, 11:02   #47

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Fingers crossed.
Handy thing editing!!...So you are learning.
Old 28 August 2009, 11:14   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
...So you are learning.
Some of us have that capacity.
Old 28 August 2009, 17:14   #49

Correction to post #44 above

Nobody appears to have noticed it but before anyone uses the location given above for the Barfleur tidal diamond, please note that the correct waypoint is 49°40´.8N 01°07´.0W and not 48°40´.8N 01°07´.0W. The mis-typed waypoint is some considerable way inland in the vicinity of St Lo!

Moral: never rely on anyone else's data and always check, double check and triple check your own
Old 30 August 2009, 22:32   #50

Weather forecast seems to be improving slightly with the weather becoming more settled for 5/6 Sept (at least in the south).

Here's a site that might be worth looking at to help with navigation for those coming: http://www.channelpilot.info/stvaast.php

The label of 'Fort de la Hougue' in the first 'Approach' picture should, I believe, be 'Tower on Isle Tatihou' however.

Please also note that if anyone is using an old chart, Le Gavendest (south cardinal to mark the approach to the harbour) is now SE of where it used to be. (My Oct 2005 chart and current Reeds Almanac show it corrctly but the charts on the St Vaast website have not been updated).

By the way, anybody round The Needles on Saturday and fancy carrying on across the Channel?
Old 01 September 2009, 12:20   #51

Quote:
Weather forecast seems to be improving slightly with the weather becoming more settled for 5/6 Sept (at least in the south).

Here's a site that might be worth looking at to help with navigation for those coming: http://www.channelpilot.info/stvaast.php

The label of 'Fort de la Hougue' in the first 'Approach' picture should, I believe, be 'Tower on Isle Tatihou' however.

Please also note that if anyone is using an old chart, Le Gavendest (south cardinal to mark the approach to the harbour) is now SE of where it used to be. (My Oct 2005 chart and current Reeds Almanac show it corrctly but the charts on the St Vaast website have not been updated).

By the way, anybody round The Needles on Saturday and fancy carrying on across the Channel?
David

BBC pressure showing HP developing toward saturday over channel, XC weather showing F4 and a bit. Note HW Dover coincides with our arrival at Barfleur ( just about) noting comments from web link above is it wise to tackle the race at this time (never been so dont know what conditions to expect) Any thoughts?

Assuming we go can you confirm numbers intending to leave from the Needles?

Mick.
Old 01 September 2009, 16:18   #52

Mick
Good news about the weather. Let's hope it continues to improve.

The Barfleur race forms off Barfleur (strange that!) and affects some 5-7M off the point when wind is against tide in strong NElies and SWlies. By aiming for Tidal Diamond C (49°40´.8N 01°07´.0W) this should keep us outside any race.

In fact, with high tide due at Le Havre at 11.09 BST on 5 Sept, the tide at the diamond will be turning from a south-easterly to north-westerly flow (134° to 318°) in the course of the following hour so that by noon it will be running at a gentle 0.7 kts in a north-westerly direction. This should not be sufficient to cause the race to form and, with the Cherbourg peninsular protecting from the westerly winds, I anticipate that the conditions should make it possible to go through where the race would be without difficulty - although I still intend to err on the side of caution and go outside the area! (There is apparently a rather bumpy inshore passage some 500m NE of La Jamette ECM beacon which also avoids the worst.)

Of more significance are the tides in the Channel where we will be setting off from the English side just before HW Cherbourg (09.18 BST). The tides will be running West-East up the Channel (ie with the wind) for the first three hours with slack water mid-channel at midday. These are the most advantageous timings we can look for, so let's just hope that the wind doesn't get up too much.

Of those who have confirmed so far, Mr Jingles and Grimalkin (Maximus and me) look to be coming from via The Needles with Skyehound and Rapid (Lurcher and you) coming from Chichester. There remain a number from whom I have still not heard, however, (Cookie Jar, Humber Tiger) with the possibility of another RIB out of Poole (to be confirmed this evening).

David
Old 01 September 2009, 16:37   #53

Tides

Quote:
Mick
Good news about the weather. Let's hope it continues to improve.

The Barfleur race forms off Barfleur (strange that!) and affects some 5-7M off the point when wind is against tide in strong NElies and SWlies. By aiming for Tidal Diamond C (49°40´.8N 01°07´.0W) this should keep us outside any race.

In fact, with high tide due at Le Havre at 11.09 BST on 5 Sept, the tide at the diamond will be turning from a south-easterly to north-westerly flow (134° to 318°) in the course of the following hour so that by noon it will be running at a gentle 0.7 kts in a north-westerly direction. This should not be sufficient to cause the race to form and, with the Cherbourg peninsular protecting from the westerly winds, I anticipate that the conditions should make it possible to go through where the race would be without difficulty - although I still intend to err on the side of caution and go outside the area! (There is apparently a rather bumpy inshore passage some 500m NE of La Jamette ECM beacon which also avoids the worst.)

Of more significance are the tides in the Channel where we will be setting off from the English side just before HW Cherbourg (09.18 BST). The tides will be running West-East up the Channel (ie with the wind) for the first three hours with slack water mid-channel at midday. These are the most advantageous timings we can look for, so let's just hope that the wind doesn't get up too much.

Of those who have confirmed so far, Mr Jingles and Grimalkin (Maximus and me) look to be coming from via The Needles with Skyehound and Rapid (Lurcher and you) coming from Chichester. There remain a number from whom I have still not heard, however, (Cookie Jar, Humber Tiger) with the possibility of another RIB out of Poole (to be confirmed this evening).

David
david

Had a look at reeds this PM and the tidal flows, look favourable, lets hope the wind backs off by then.

Mick
Old 02 September 2009, 14:58   #54

St Vaast

David

Hope you are well.

B*****ks the weather is not looking so good for this weekend. I'm holding out untill tommorow to make my final call.
Spoke to Lurcher earlier looks like there might be a tad too much blow forecast.

Looks like we are in for some sun but perhaps still too much wind!

Will keep you posted, assume you think the same.

Mick
Old 02 September 2009, 15:38   #55

Boat name: SOLD
Hi Mick
having done this trip before with a slighty better forcast i know that what ever the wind forcast is, It will be 1 mybe 2 clicks more mid Channel
I/e force 3/4 can turn 5/6 gusting 7
any way fingers crossed
Old 02 September 2009, 16:51   #56

Must confess that the following forecast for tomorrow and Friday does not bode particularly well for Saturday:

"Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis

Strong winds are forecast
Inshore waters forecast
24 hour forecast: 1900 Wed 02 Sep 1900 Thu 03 Sep
Wind West or southwest 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9 for a time, then decreasing 4 or 5 later.
Sea state Moderate or rough, occasionally very rough.
Weather Rain or squally showers.
Visibility Moderate or poor, occasionally good.

Outlook: 1900 Thu 03 Sep 1900 Fri 04 Sep
Wind West or southwest 4 or 5, becoming variable 3 for a time then west or northwest 5 or 6, occasionally 7 later.
Sea state Moderate, occasionally rough at first.
Weather Rain or squally showers becoming fair later.
Visibility Moderate or poor becoming good later."

It is improving but probably not quickly enough.

I'll need to launch the boat on Friday evening to leave Poole at 7.00am on Saturday for Yarmouth, so I might go and stick its nose out beyond Old Harry and see what the sea state is like then - so probably won't make a final go, no-go decision until after then.
Old 02 September 2009, 16:57   #57

Boat name: SOLD
St Vasst is a great place but nothing to do in the wet
So i will pass on this trip
Old 02 September 2009, 19:02   #58

I don't think rain will be a problem: the weekend forecast is light cloud and sun: it's more the problem of wind creating waves that will both make the crossing uncomfortable and extend its time with the consequent possibility of missing the lock. Even with the dropping wind, I suspect that the waves will continue to come in off the Atlantic up the Channel for a few more days yet - but I'd love to be proved wrong!
Old 02 September 2009, 20:12   #59

Quote:
I don't think rain will be a problem: the weekend forecast is light cloud and sun: it's more the problem of wind creating waves that will both make the crossing uncomfortable and extend its time with the consequent possibility of missing the lock. Even with the dropping wind, I suspect that the waves will continue to come in off the Atlantic up the Channel for a few more days yet - but I'd love to be proved wrong!
Avocet, Maximus, Lurcher

Looking at Chimet amongst other weather stations tonight (chimet currently posting F10 highest - wind speed 50 knots) its clear that however the weather calms for the weekend the mid week weather will almost certainly still effect the channel during the weekend and for that reason I'm out of the trip unless there is a drastic, drastic change overnight.

Big regrets if it is off, been looking forward to this and certainly isnt always easy to get a weekend pass! Could just bugger off instead with boat in tow and find a nice hotel, swimming pool, and a slipway next to a lap dancing club.! I just know she will suss it out!

Be in contact tommorow!

Mick
Old 02 September 2009, 20:47   #60

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
Avocet, Maximus, Lurcher

Looking at Chimet amongst other weather stations tonight (chimet currently posting F10 highest - wind speed 50 knots) its clear that however the weather calms for the weekend the mid week weather will almost certainly still effect the channel during the weekend and for that reason I'm out of the trip unless there is a drastic, drastic change overnight.

Big regrets if it is off, been looking forward to this and certainly isnt always easy to get a weekend pass! Could just bugger off instead with boat in tow and find a nice hotel, swimming pool, and a slipway next to a lap dancing club.! I just know she will suss it out!

Be in contact tommorow!

Mick
Know how your feeling Mick!Time will tell,but not looking too clever at the moment, will wait for Avo's verdict.