Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 September 2009, 08:20   #51
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Weather forecast seems to be improving slightly with the weather becoming more settled for 5/6 Sept (at least in the south).

Here's a site that might be worth looking at to help with navigation for those coming: http://www.channelpilot.info/stvaast.php

The label of 'Fort de la Hougue' in the first 'Approach' picture should, I believe, be 'Tower on Isle Tatihou' however.

Please also note that if anyone is using an old chart, Le Gavendest (south cardinal to mark the approach to the harbour) is now SE of where it used to be. (My Oct 2005 chart and current Reeds Almanac show it corrctly but the charts on the St Vaast website have not been updated).

By the way, anybody round The Needles on Saturday and fancy carrying on across the Channel?
David

BBC pressure showing HP developing toward saturday over channel, XC weather showing F4 and a bit. Note HW Dover coincides with our arrival at Barfleur ( just about) noting comments from web link above is it wise to tackle the race at this time (never been so dont know what conditions to expect) Any thoughts?

Assuming we go can you confirm numbers intending to leave from the Needles?

Mick.
__________________

__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2009, 12:18   #52
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 899
Mick
Good news about the weather. Let's hope it continues to improve.

The Barfleur race forms off Barfleur (strange that!) and affects some 5-7M off the point when wind is against tide in strong NElies and SWlies. By aiming for Tidal Diamond C (4940.8N 0107.0W) this should keep us outside any race.

In fact, with high tide due at Le Havre at 11.09 BST on 5 Sept, the tide at the diamond will be turning from a south-easterly to north-westerly flow (134 to 318) in the course of the following hour so that by noon it will be running at a gentle 0.7 kts in a north-westerly direction. This should not be sufficient to cause the race to form and, with the Cherbourg peninsular protecting from the westerly winds, I anticipate that the conditions should make it possible to go through where the race would be without difficulty - although I still intend to err on the side of caution and go outside the area! (There is apparently a rather bumpy inshore passage some 500m NE of La Jamette ECM beacon which also avoids the worst.)

Of more significance are the tides in the Channel where we will be setting off from the English side just before HW Cherbourg (09.18 BST). The tides will be running West-East up the Channel (ie with the wind) for the first three hours with slack water mid-channel at midday. These are the most advantageous timings we can look for, so let's just hope that the wind doesn't get up too much.

Of those who have confirmed so far, Mr Jingles and Grimalkin (Maximus and me) look to be coming from via The Needles with Skyehound and Rapid (Lurcher and you) coming from Chichester. There remain a number from whom I have still not heard, however, (Cookie Jar, Humber Tiger) with the possibility of another RIB out of Poole (to be confirmed this evening).

David
__________________

__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 September 2009, 12:37   #53
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 69
Tides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Mick
Good news about the weather. Let's hope it continues to improve.

The Barfleur race forms off Barfleur (strange that!) and affects some 5-7M off the point when wind is against tide in strong NElies and SWlies. By aiming for Tidal Diamond C (4940.8N 0107.0W) this should keep us outside any race.

In fact, with high tide due at Le Havre at 11.09 BST on 5 Sept, the tide at the diamond will be turning from a south-easterly to north-westerly flow (134 to 318) in the course of the following hour so that by noon it will be running at a gentle 0.7 kts in a north-westerly direction. This should not be sufficient to cause the race to form and, with the Cherbourg peninsular protecting from the westerly winds, I anticipate that the conditions should make it possible to go through where the race would be without difficulty - although I still intend to err on the side of caution and go outside the area! (There is apparently a rather bumpy inshore passage some 500m NE of La Jamette ECM beacon which also avoids the worst.)

Of more significance are the tides in the Channel where we will be setting off from the English side just before HW Cherbourg (09.18 BST). The tides will be running West-East up the Channel (ie with the wind) for the first three hours with slack water mid-channel at midday. These are the most advantageous timings we can look for, so let's just hope that the wind doesn't get up too much.

Of those who have confirmed so far, Mr Jingles and Grimalkin (Maximus and me) look to be coming from via The Needles with Skyehound and Rapid (Lurcher and you) coming from Chichester. There remain a number from whom I have still not heard, however, (Cookie Jar, Humber Tiger) with the possibility of another RIB out of Poole (to be confirmed this evening).

David
david

Had a look at reeds this PM and the tidal flows, look favourable, lets hope the wind backs off by then.

Mick
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 10:58   #54
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 69
St Vaast

David

Hope you are well.

B*****ks the weather is not looking so good for this weekend. I'm holding out untill tommorow to make my final call.
Spoke to Lurcher earlier looks like there might be a tad too much blow forecast.

Looks like we are in for some sun but perhaps still too much wind!

Will keep you posted, assume you think the same.

Mick
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 11:38   #55
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
Hi Mick
having done this trip before with a slighty better forcast i know that what ever the wind forcast is, It will be 1 mybe 2 clicks more mid Channel
I/e force 3/4 can turn 5/6 gusting 7
any way fingers crossed
__________________
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 12:51   #56
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 899
Must confess that the following forecast for tomorrow and Friday does not bode particularly well for Saturday:

"Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis

Strong winds are forecast
Inshore waters forecast
24 hour forecast: 1900 Wed 02 Sep 1900 Thu 03 Sep
Wind West or southwest 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9 for a time, then decreasing 4 or 5 later.
Sea state Moderate or rough, occasionally very rough.
Weather Rain or squally showers.
Visibility Moderate or poor, occasionally good.

Outlook: 1900 Thu 03 Sep 1900 Fri 04 Sep
Wind West or southwest 4 or 5, becoming variable 3 for a time then west or northwest 5 or 6, occasionally 7 later.
Sea state Moderate, occasionally rough at first.
Weather Rain or squally showers becoming fair later.
Visibility Moderate or poor becoming good later."

It is improving but probably not quickly enough.

I'll need to launch the boat on Friday evening to leave Poole at 7.00am on Saturday for Yarmouth, so I might go and stick its nose out beyond Old Harry and see what the sea state is like then - so probably won't make a final go, no-go decision until after then.
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 12:57   #57
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
St Vasst is a great place but nothing to do in the wet
So i will pass on this trip
__________________
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 15:02   #58
Member
 
Avocet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 899
I don't think rain will be a problem: the weekend forecast is light cloud and sun: it's more the problem of wind creating waves that will both make the crossing uncomfortable and extend its time with the consequent possibility of missing the lock. Even with the dropping wind, I suspect that the waves will continue to come in off the Atlantic up the Channel for a few more days yet - but I'd love to be proved wrong!
__________________
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 16:12   #59
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I don't think rain will be a problem: the weekend forecast is light cloud and sun: it's more the problem of wind creating waves that will both make the crossing uncomfortable and extend its time with the consequent possibility of missing the lock. Even with the dropping wind, I suspect that the waves will continue to come in off the Atlantic up the Channel for a few more days yet - but I'd love to be proved wrong!
Avocet, Maximus, Lurcher

Looking at Chimet amongst other weather stations tonight (chimet currently posting F10 highest - wind speed 50 knots) its clear that however the weather calms for the weekend the mid week weather will almost certainly still effect the channel during the weekend and for that reason I'm out of the trip unless there is a drastic, drastic change overnight.

Big regrets if it is off, been looking forward to this and certainly isnt always easy to get a weekend pass! Could just bugger off instead with boat in tow and find a nice hotel, swimming pool, and a slipway next to a lap dancing club.! I just know she will suss it out!

Be in contact tommorow!

Mick
__________________
Mick Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 16:47   #60
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
Avocet, Maximus, Lurcher

Looking at Chimet amongst other weather stations tonight (chimet currently posting F10 highest - wind speed 50 knots) its clear that however the weather calms for the weekend the mid week weather will almost certainly still effect the channel during the weekend and for that reason I'm out of the trip unless there is a drastic, drastic change overnight.

Big regrets if it is off, been looking forward to this and certainly isnt always easy to get a weekend pass! Could just bugger off instead with boat in tow and find a nice hotel, swimming pool, and a slipway next to a lap dancing club.! I just know she will suss it out!

Be in contact tommorow!

Mick
Know how your feeling Mick!Time will tell,but not looking too clever at the moment, will wait for Avo's verdict.
__________________

__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.