Old 03 September 2009, 07:57   #63

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Pussy whipped again!

Cheers Chaps!
[Did'nt realise you were both comeing!!]AND Dont forget to drink plenty of water!..would'nt want you BOTH to get TOO DEHYDRATED......... in front of the RADIATOR all weekend!
Old 03 September 2009, 15:47   #64

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Just because the Fuschia and Cafe du Port are full, doesn't mean there's only camping available at St Vaast.

There's a decent hotel 5 minutes further along from the Fuschia, heading east and slightly inland, which we stayed at one year -can't remember the name but it had wrought iron railings if memory serves.

Avoid staying overnight at the Vauban. It's OK for a meal but the rooms are like broom cupboards unless they have vastly improved.

There is a good hotel in the next coastal village heading west (5 minute cab ride) with 15ish rooms.

4 guys in our party stayed in a gite, which was organised at the very last minute. They bunked down together in the first 2 rooms they came across and when they woke up and explored the place the following morning, they reckoned it would probably accommodate 14 people !
Old 03 September 2009, 16:25   #65

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
St Vaast

Avocet & Maximus

News from the Chichester group is that we have decided that the trip is a no go due to the continuing high winds that are not expected to settle much before Sunday.

There are some people new to Ribs in the group from here as well, so all in all probaly the right call to make.

Shame as I was really looking forward to another adventure. Talk is of grabbing the next opportunity to go during one of those autumnal high pressure periods, flat calm, plenty of sun and that autumn nip in the air in the mornings!

I will put Mrs B on stand by, and pack away the brownie points for another day.

Hopefully you like me think the same and are happy to try again soon.

Regards

Mick.
Old 04 September 2009, 12:24   #66
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
I'll need to launch the boat on Friday evening to leave Poole at 7.00am on Saturday for Yarmouth, so I might go and stick its nose out beyond Old Harry and see what the sea state is like then - so probably won't make a final go, no-go decision until after then.
Hi Avocet (and everyone else!)
We're back from France now but it's a bit too soon to go for a jaunt back across the channel.
If you decide not to go for the weekend in France are you likely to be up for a trip somewhere on Saturday - maybe a Nacho run to Yarmouth or Lymington to make up for the fine french cuising that you'll be missing?
I need to get Dizzy off the trailer to do some repairs so will be out and about by late Saturday morning /early afternoon.
However, XCweather.co.uk is now showing decreasing winds for Saturday and Sunday in the Channel so maybe you can go back to "Plan A"!
Trevor
Old 04 September 2009, 14:49   #67

Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Hi Trevor

Trust you had a good time in France and look forward hearing about it.

Having spoken to Maximus at lunchtime, we have decided that the weather is too borderline to try the Channel crossing this time but this is merely a postponement rather than a cancellation...... Watch this space!

The current alternative plan now is for Mrs A and me to leave Poole about 9.30 am on Saturday and head around St Aldhelm's and Portland with a view to meeting Maximus at West Bay for lunch. What we do in the afternoon will depend upon how the trip to West Bay goes but there is the possibility of completing the crossing of Lyme Bay. Mrs A and I have, however, booked accommodation in West Bay for Saturday night and will therefore be returning to Poole on Sunday.

Anyone that wants to accompany us to West Bay or meet up on the return trip is more than welcome and would avoid us having to do the trip solo.

David
Old 04 September 2009, 15:42   #68

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
David that sounds awesome but my boat has not been built yet!!!!

Will catch you on the next one
Old 04 September 2009, 17:36   #69
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Hi David ,
Disappointment all round on this one but another times sounds like a very good idea , mid October can bring some still days and perfect for a quick dash across . Many thanks for all your efforts so far . Force 4 on Sunday will get me out windsurfing instead !
John
Old 05 September 2009, 16:50   #70

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Guys, good call on the postponment I reckon... you may feel better to know that I've been on a tall ship sailing from Holland to Wales for the past 10 days, and the wind was against us until rounding Lands End... we were hiding in port with great regularity in between the gales... it's not been nice out there, and I reckon it would still be quite lumpy for a safe rib trip...
Old 07 September 2009, 09:20   #71

Come on Indian Summer[or have we got to go to INDIA for one!?

Obviously the Channel trip never went ahead,we did however catch up with Avocet and his charming wife Ginny at West Bay for a bit of a blast which blew the cobwebs away!
Would like to thank them for a good day,and evening in the pub!
Also Avo and myself deffinately up for the Crossing anytime there is a weather window so not given up yet!...[.YOU'RE ONLY BEATEN WHEN YOU GIVE UP!!]
Old 07 September 2009, 18:11   #72

Well West Bay isn't France but at least Mrs A and I made it there (and in so doing proved that the postponement was the correct decision) and had a great day meeting Maximus and his lovely wife Karen.

We left Poole at 10.15am rather than 9.30am as planned (owing to a misunderstanding between Mrs A and me: when asked what time we needed to leave, I replied "9.30" which she understood as being the house but which I had meant the marina!).

As a result, we got within sight of West Bay at 12.30 rather than 12.00 after a very bumpy ride westwards (15kts max across Weymouth Bay - and so proving the decision to postpone the French trip as correctand - and some 25kts max across Lyme Bay). On he approach I put a call out for Mr Jingles and duly received a reply from Maximus to say that the boat had been successfully launched and that he was just paying his harbour dues. Somewhat strangely, as we arrived in the harbour, Mr Jingles was moored to the pontoon but no sign of Maximus or Karen who arrived five minutes later. It later transpiredthat they had been paying their harbour dues at the harboumaster's office rather than harbourside and that Maximus had answered my call using the harboumaster's radio which was monitoring CH16!

After an excellent lunch in The George, we went for a blast further West to Bere. The weather had improved and we could have gone on but Mrs A and I were feeling the effects of the morning's bumpings and we returned to West Bay after stopping off at Lyme Regis for a couple more drinks (thirsty work this boating!).

Having helped recover Mr Jingles, we then spent a very pleasant evening over more drinks and supper in The West Bay and said our goodbyes to Maximus and Karen who were driving home before retiring to our B&B for a sound night's sleep.

The weather in the morning was much improved and we set of on the return jouney at 10.00am and in consideably calmer (though not flat) conditions arrived back off Poole just before midday having failed to refuel at Portland (where fuel is now normally available but the petrol pumps were u/s). Off Poole, we met another friend who had come out to meet us in his RIB and we went on to Yarmouth for lunch and a refuel. 175l over a 135M voyage gave about 1.3l per mile with which I was pretty pleased (although the speeds involved weren't that fast).

All in all, a great weekend which went a good way to making up for the disappointment of postponing the French trip. I'm not sure for when it will be rescheduled but, as Maximus has said, we both remain very keen on the idea so watch this space.....!

In the meantime, here's a photo of Mr Jingles and crew in Lyme Bay (only the one photo since Mrs A only took three and the other two were out of focus!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressed 281.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	45603  
Old 08 September 2009, 06:46   #73
RIBnet supporter

Right decision

We decided on a short consolation trip on Sunday ,so off to Gunwharf for a blast .On leaving Chichester Harbour we got an engne overheat due to weed picked up .Stopped the engine and cleared the weed only to find the exhaust elbow fractured and sea water being pumped into the bilge .Good job we did abort the French trip !
Old 08 September 2009, 11:30   #74

Consolation

No such consolation trip for me, although glad to see that Avocet, Maximus and Lurcher managed to get out. The West Bay trip looked good and probaly not far off the distance to St V and back. Full marks for making the effort.

On another note look at the bloody weather now great timing, if there is any chance the weather holding through next week, maybe tuesday - wednesday any takers for a dash to Cherbourg or St V? Just a thought!

In the meanwhile back to the millstone.
Old 08 September 2009, 11:49   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
We decided on a short consolation trip on Sunday ,so off to Gunwharf for a blast .On leaving Chichester Harbour we got an engne overheat due to weed picked up .Stopped the engine and cleared the weed only to find the exhaust elbow fractured and sea water being pumped into the bilge .Good job we did abort the French trip !
Ouch: sounds expensive and could have been v problematic mid-Channel!

We heard a boat with mechanical difficulties at Chichester Harbour entrance talking to the Coastguard (well the CG side of the conversation). Was it you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
No such consolation trip for me, although glad to see that Avocet, Maximus and Lurcher managed to get out. The West Bay trip looked good and probaly not far off the distance to St V and back. Full marks for making the effort.

On another note look at the bloody weather now great timing, if there is any chance the weather holding through next week, maybe tuesday - wednesday any takers for a dash to Cherbourg or St V? Just a thought!

That's a great idea Mick and the lock times fit: open at 16.44 BST on 15 Sept and close at 10.50 BST on 16 Sept. With the kids back at school, though, I might have some difficulty finding a crew mid-week (especially one that I'd want or be allowed to share a room with! )
Old 08 September 2009, 15:47   #76
RIBnet supporter

Chi

Not us we were able to continue with bilge pump doing its stuff , £320 so far and counting they suggest a new water pump too I dare not tell you how much that is ! She may be watching .
Old 08 September 2009, 17:11   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post

I have got a few commitments at the mo guys,[Buisness does get in the way of my liesure time!!]but if the weather looks 'good'..hmmm-- I'll do my BEST to juggle things around if it looks like a goer! Cant commit till the weekend though.
[Keeping the euros on standby!]
Old 14 September 2009, 20:40   #78

Chaps, weve not confirmed but clearly any chance of a crossing this week is out. I'm still very keen to go but will leave it open to suggestion as to when that might be.

If no crossing takes place always keen to take part in any local trips of interest, cold weather no problem!

Cheers Mick.
Old 15 September 2009, 15:01   #79

Boat name: SOLD
Hi Mick
If the french thing dosant work out what about the BIBOA Weymouth trip
3/4 Oct realy good bunch and i am sure if i speak to Julian , no need to join for a one off trip, i have been loads of times and its a great night.
Just a Thought
Roy
Old 16 September 2009, 15:30   #80

Weymouth

Roy thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind, assume its down on Saturday and back Sunday?

Regards Mick