Old 14 August 2009, 07:32   #21

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Hi Dave,as per your first post still up for two night stay,although if its only to be a one night stop over you can still count us in,would however much prefer Hotel,or B and B. A long way to haul the camping gear[pluss all the hassel] for one night!I'm definately with you... 'Pampering'the way to go!!
Old 16 August 2009, 18:19   #22

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Engine: Suzi 140
Hi David
Not that bothered as I was going to 'camp on board'!
St Vaast is preferable from a scenic POV but wouldn't mind CBourg. Would prefer 2 nights rather than 1, but will go with the flo.
BB
Old 16 August 2009, 19:00   #23

Nice one BB,What about everyone else?
Old 17 August 2009, 15:40   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
St Vaast

I am attempting to get B&B will advise if we get a room , what about Barfleur ?

The Chichester team will depart from East of IOW and suggest an RV at the mid channel bouy cant remember name at the moment .Avocet please advise your mid channel arrival time if possible
Old 19 August 2009, 06:03   #25
RIBnet supporter

B&b

Got a room here http://www.saint-vaast-reville.com/c...ml?nRedirect=1
They may have more my French not up to asking the question .1 Night was fine and informed them of possible canx if wx poor .
Old 19 August 2009, 11:36   #26

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Rapid
Make: Solent
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Mariner FS
MMSI: 235072903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
Having resolved at the start of the year to organise a trip to France, I'm finally getting around to it.

Am proposing to cross from the Western Solent on either Friday 4 September (for a two night stay) or Saturday 5 September (for a one night stay) to St Vaast la Hougue and return on Sunday 6 September.

St Vaast is a small port about 10M south of Barfleur on the Eastern coast of the Cherbourg peninsular and, for those that were on the Alderney run, is about the same distance with a similar crossing time. Entrance to the marina is by a lock gate necessitating an arrival by 12.55 BST on 4 Sept or 13.27 BST on 5 Sept. The town has a camp-site and a number of hotels in a range of price brackets. Details of the town and facilities are available at: http://www.saint-vaast-reville.com/en-GB/index.html (the English site is still under development: let me know if anyone needs any translation!)

We would only want to do the crossing in company: we already have a couple of interested others but does anyone want to join us?

David
David, Hope you are well.
Assuming arrival at around 1330 ish, we all probaly need to allow 4 hours journey time and start thinking about departure times (0800 Chichester) tides and RV's for those making the trip.
Those of us leaving from Chichester will be looking to meet up with you chaps at a point and time to be to be confirmed.
I'm just chasing my crew and will reconfirm shortly.

As per the Alderny trip its likley those traveling should prepare a manual passge plan to back up GPS stuff etc. ( I know its a stright line but!)

We wont have the same advantage as Alderney (local yacht club) so we ought to also think about a plan for the evening, I'm sure that we can find a decent place to eat and drink once we are there. Perhaps DIY during the afternoon. Assume leaving will be similiar time the next day and that refuelling is straightforward?

Can I suggest we also adopt a plan ( we didnt for Alderney) to deal with any vessel that breaks down, I know I would rather have a slow tow and some company tow than none at all. We also need to decide when to call off the trip if the weather is looking dodgy and what we will do in the event of unforseen thick fog. Finally someone needs to take the lead on this or the trip might flounder, David as its your trip are you happy to take the lead?

Hope to see you all soon. Mick
Old 19 August 2009, 11:41   #27

Something Italian

Something Italian - are you coming to St Vasst?

Mick.
Old 19 August 2009, 11:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
Got a room here http://www.saint-vaast-reville.com/c...ml?nRedirect=1
They may have more my French not up to asking the question .1 Night was fine and informed them of possible canx if wx poor .
Many thanks for the 'pm' Lurcher, managed to book a room [the last they had]we will most likely stay down at Hythe the night befor at the best 'B and B' on the South coast!even has secure yard for Ribs[if anyone wants details pm me]and meet up early with Avocett in Yarmouth to top up with fuel.Fingers crossed for fine weather!
Old 19 August 2009, 21:09   #29

Boat name: SOLD
We went to St Vasst last year as part of a BIBOA cruise
Any thing more than a 3/4 easterly will strengthern to a 5/6 mid channel
and i can tell you its get very lumpey we had a 2/3 mt sea
so to do this cruise in comfort (as my wife treaterned divorce) last year
needs a good weather window
we where the smallest rib last year at 8.1 and it was hard work
that said St Vasst is a great place the Petrol and Derv are on a pontoon in the marina
the showers etc where very clean and there was a resurante in the marina
we had lunch there , and a great pub in the main street
Old 19 August 2009, 22:24   #30

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
It was good to speak to BassBoy (sorry the mackerel weren't biting!) and to meet up again with Cookie Jar this afternoon and glad to hear that both were hoping to make it to St Vaast.

I am more than happy to take charge of arrangements as per Mick's suggestion but on the basis that each boat, its crew, its navigation and any go/no go decision is that of that boat's skipper and I am responsible only for my boat and crew.

The current plan (because of the shortage of accommodation in St Vaast) is for a one night stop over on 5-6 September. For those who want to camp (the camp-site is centrally and conveniently located by the town beach a short distance from the marina), the owner has indicated that there will be plenty of space for simple tents and that there is no need to pre-book.

We need to be in St Vaast no later than 1.30 pm (English Time) on 5 September because the lock gates into the marina close then and do not reopen until the evening and the rest of the harbour dries. Failure to get into the marina will mean either having to anchor some way off outside or going back to Cherbourg (Barfleur, which is in between, has no marina and dries).

I suggest that those leaving from the West of the Isle of Wight should meet in Yarmouth for 8.00 am to take on fuel in order to get to the Fairway Buoy for a 9.00 am departure. The crossing should take around 3½ hours which gives us a reasonable window for unforeseen problems. Those timings should get us level with St Catherine's Point around 9.30 and if the Eastern group can do the same (albeit to the East), we should at least be able to establish radio coms. I suggest that we use CH77.

I'm somewhat hesitant about suggesting a RV with the Eastern group mid-channel since it will necessitate one group having to wait for the other which can get quite uncomfortable. I suggest that each group uses the DSC facility on our radios to obtain the whereabouts of the other and then speed up or slow down so that we meet as the two groups converge.

Each skipper is strongly recommended to prepare a written passage plan (which I'm happy to comment on if you want, although I don't hold myself out as an expert! If you would like this, let me know and I'll PM you my e-mail address). You should also familiarise yourself with the route into the marina. In addition to all the usual boat equipment, you will also need to remember: passports, VHF licences (for boat and for operator), SSR papers, proof of VAT paid on the boat and all relevant charts .... and €s! It would also be helpful if each skipper could PM me with details of their and crew's names, boat name, model and engine size and MMSI number so that I can collate the information onto a laminated sheet for each boat to have (as I did for the Alderney trip, those that were there). An e-mail address and mobile number for each skipper (not to be published outside the cruise) would also facilitate communication between everyone.

Mick's concerns about towing, go/no go decisions, plans for when we're there, fuelling, return timings etc remain to be addressed but I'm now away until after the weekend and there's enough in the above to keep you going until then. In the meantime, could those coming who have not yet done so please confirm so that I can contact the Harbourmaster on Monday and let him know the size of group that is expecting to come.

Like you, fingers crossed for good weather!

David
Old 24 August 2009, 18:19   #31

In addition to the papers listed above, it would also be prudent to bring your current boat insurance and European Health Insurance Card (the replacement for the E111). If not already registered, you should also register your boat with the CG66 scheme through the MCA.

Still too far off for any weather forecast to be accurate but the long range view is currently 'unsettled' for 29 Aug to 7 Sept .......

I've only received the information requested from Lurcher and Maximus so far. Look forward to receiving it for all others coming so that I can reserve places in the marina for all those coming and ensure that fuel is available.
Old 25 August 2009, 14:01   #32

So?... Where has everyone gone!Only good manners to let Avocet know your intentions.
Old 25 August 2009, 16:18   #33

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Engine: Suzi 140
Probably in a dark room looking at their long range synoptic predictions!

Sad to say it's now looking like 50/50 for me.
Old 25 August 2009, 20:11   #34

St Vaast

Quote:
In addition to the papers listed above, it would also be prudent to bring your current boat insurance and European Health Insurance Card (the replacement for the E111). If not already registered, you should also register your boat with the CG66 scheme through the MCA.

Still too far off for any weather forecast to be accurate but the long range view is currently 'unsettled' for 29 Aug to 7 Sept .......

I've only received the information requested from Lurcher and Maximus so far. Look forward to receiving it for all others coming so that I can reserve places in the marina for all those coming and ensure that fuel is available.
David

Details sent by email as requested.

Lurcher and co, what time do you want to RV at HISC on the Saturday?
Old 26 August 2009, 06:47   #35
RIBnet supporter

hisc

Mick
Will stay in Dunes overnight and leave boat on pontoon if wx ok .
J
Old 26 August 2009, 14:38   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
Mick
Will stay in Dunes overnight and leave boat on pontoon if wx ok .
J
John
OK I assume thats the cabins at HISC, or the beach! Either way I will be launching from Northney on Saturday morning at 0730 and will meet with you at 0800 at HISC. My co pilot is exactly that and will have the benefit of Her Majestys finest weather reports. I dont intend to go if the weather in anyway looks like a blow, following on from Tim Griffins planning for Alderney anything more than F2 from any direction is likely to put us off the trip.

Let me know if these times suit you, I am at HISC on Saturday so may catch up then.

Mick
Old 26 August 2009, 18:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Balch View Post
David

Details sent by email as requested.
Thanks for that Mick - do you have an e-mail address that you can PM me?

Lurcher, what about KTNV and Tex? Are they still interested? If so can I have their details?

Have just purchased Imray Chart C32 which covers the Baie de Seine and includes a detailed chart for the approach to St Vaast as well as for Cherbourg (alternative destination).

250kts, Roy Smith or anyone else ready to commit?
Old 26 August 2009, 20:16   #38

Boat name: SOLD
i cant comitt yet as we are frantiic with work at the moment
but as i will camp on board if we do come i dont need the accomadation
i have all the waypoints from last year plumbed into the plotter
so i am ready to go,
Old 27 August 2009, 08:10   #39

Quote:
Thanks for that Mick - do you have an e-mail address that you can PM me?

Lurcher, what about KTNV and Tex? Are they still interested? If so can I have their details?

Have just purchased Imray Chart C32 which covers the Baie de Seine and includes a detailed chart for the approach to St Vaast as well as for Cherbourg (alternative destination).

250kts, Roy Smith or anyone else ready to commit?
Hello David - email as requested

mickbalch@btconnect.com

Looking at the charts it seems unlikley that the two groups would cross paths until we get very close to the French Coast, its possible that radio comms night not be good if our distances are too far apart,let me know what you think? Might it not be best to choose an RV point after all and be prompt, at least if might get the fleet within radio contact?

Mick.
Old 27 August 2009, 08:27   #40

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Showing 20mph Westerlies for the 5th at present. It could change between now and then.